Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some More Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> Some More Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some More Questions - 2/1/2020 6:38:22 PM   
canuckgamer

We are playing the Sollum scenario and I am the Axis. I noticed that even after my units have been attacked they remain Fixed (in red). I would have thought they would have been released after being attacked? Is this a bug or your intention?

When the battle results is displayed we have had situations where there were so many units attacking that some of them are stacked (the columns of artillery, shock etc.). However there doesn't seem to be any way of viewing the unit that is not on top of the stack. Is this possible?

Since the maximum stacking in a hex is 8, I am wondering how the program determines which units enter a hex where the attacker was successful and the defending units were either eliminated or retreated. I am referring to an attack example where you attacked that hex with more than 8 stacking points.

Finally I assume that the issue with Axis units not showing how many men and vehicles will be corrected in the next patch?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Some More Questions - 2/1/2020 9:56:48 PM   
bcgames

quote:

ORIGINAL: canuckgamer

We are playing the Sollum scenario and I am the Axis. I noticed that even after my units have been attacked they remain Fixed (in red). I would have thought they would have been released after being attacked? Is this a bug or your intention?

This is intentional. The scenario favors the Axis so the Fixing most of the units in the initial set-up helps to balance the game. IIRC all Axis units will have been released (un-Fixed) by game turn 12.

quote:

When the battle results is displayed we have had situations where there were so many units attacking that some of them are stacked (the columns of artillery, shock etc.). However there doesn't seem to be any way of viewing the unit that is not on top of the stack. Is this possible?

I'm not sure I understand the question but I'll take a stab at an aswer. Place the cursor over a stack and hit the C key to bring the bottom unit in a stack to the top.

quote:

Since the maximum stacking in a hex is 8, I am wondering how the program determines which units enter a hex where the attacker was successful and the defending units were either eliminated or retreated. I am referring to an attack example where you attacked that hex with more than 8 stacking points.

I don't know. Saint Ruth will need to take this one on.

quote:

Finally I assume that the issue with Axis units not showing how many men and vehicles will be corrected in the next patch?

You are correct.

(in reply to canuckgamer)
Post #: 2
RE: Some More Questions - 2/7/2020 9:43:30 PM   
canuckgamer

Thanks for the reply. Just my opinion but I don't think units should be Fixed for "game balance" which is in itself pretty subjective. I also consider it very "gamey". If those units were not "fixed" historically and if the scenario supposedly favours the Axis so be it. That just means there is a greater challenge to playing the Allies in a PBEM game.

In the the game we are playing, Halfaya Pass has fallen because of all the units in that area remain fixed. I don't know if it did fall historically.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 3
RE: Some More Questions - 2/8/2020 2:27:28 AM   
bcgames

quote:

...Just my opinion but I don't think units should be Fixed for "game balance" which is in itself pretty subjective. I also consider it very "gamey". If those units were not "fixed" historically and if the scenario supposedly favours the Axis so be it. That just means there is a greater challenge to playing the Allies in a PBEM game.

I have adjusted the scenario to reflect your requirements. Let's give it a playtest...I, of course, will play the Axis. Get the Unfixed version of the Battle of Sollum here:

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZYcwWkZVdQR2UExYDHhPGXED1xwrSRg9xDy

Place these files in your Documents/My Games/DesertWar/scn folder to play.

I've issued three challenges for any Allies players ready and willing to accomplish the task. Sounds like fun! Let's go!

quote:

In the the game we are playing, Halfaya Pass has fallen because of all the units in that area remain fixed. I don't know if it did fall historically.

Halfaya Pass did not fall historically. None of the Axis units moved from the pass and they received no reinforcements. Historically, the Allies attack was underwhelming and uncoordinated.

Post #: 4
RE: Some More Questions - 2/27/2020 1:14:32 AM   
canuckgamer

Just to let you know we finished the Sollum scenario and it was a decisive Allied victory so I think the fixed Axis units made a difference. We are going to wait until the next update is released to correct the Germans not displaying any numbers for men, vehicles, and guns before starting a new scenario. We might try the Unfixed Sollum. Thanks.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 5
RE: Some More Questions - 2/27/2020 1:48:30 AM   
bcgames

Interesting. Which side did the better player play?

Looking forward to the results of the Unfixed version if you decide to take the plunge.

Post #: 6
RE: Some More Questions - 2/27/2020 3:23:34 PM   
canuckgamer

I would say my friend who played the Axis is generally a little better player than me. However this was our first experience with WEGO at an operational game level so no advantage there. We are playing and continue to play the Combat Mission series which as you probably know is at a tactical level.

He beat down the fixed positions pretty good since I couldn't reinforce or retreat. It looks to me that you have to stage your attack forces so they start from the same hex. Otherwise you can end up with attacks where units arrive piece meal or not at all. Of course with WEGO the final odds of an attack are also impacted by what your opponent does. I think the game system has a lot of potential.

A small suggestion. At the top of screen when replaying a turn I think it says Execution. Why not just replay?

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 7
RE: Some More Questions - 2/28/2020 5:08:36 AM   
bcgames

Looking forward to your recommendations on how to proceed.

Post #: 8
RE: Some More Questions - 3/3/2020 4:56:56 AM   
bcgames

Having played this version as an experienced Axis player, I do not recommend it for competitive play unless the Allies player is very experienced with the WEGO game system and is playing a very new Axis player. IOW, go with the original. It's tough enough.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 9
RE: Some More Questions - 3/4/2020 4:18:26 AM   
canuckgamer

I assume you referring to the "Unfix" version.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 10
RE: Some More Questions - 3/4/2020 4:40:23 AM   
bcgames

Yes, I just played the "Unfixed" version of the Battle of Sollum scenario as the Axis Player. I do not recommend this scenario for competitive play.

Post #: 11
Number of men, vehicles and guns - 1/12/2021 1:13:51 AM   
BRedgie

In the Sunday of the Dead: Battle of Sidi Rezegh and High Tide at Alam Halfa scenarios the Italian and British men, vehicles and guns in a hex can be displayed but not so for the German. How can I fix this?

Post #: 12
RE: Number of men, vehicles and guns - 2/3/2021 3:03:30 AM   
bcgames

It's too late to fix your current game. The scenario needs to be opened in the editor and saved for German men/guns/vehicles aspect to work correctly.

(in reply to BRedgie)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> Some More Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI