Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Alternative Third World War possible scenes?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> The Alternative Third World War possible scenes? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Alternative Third World War possible scenes? - 1/28/2020 5:53:11 PM   
Hellen_slith

I stumbled across this book during my latest library visit:

The Alternative Third World War 1985-2035 (by William Jackson, published 1987 by Brassey's Defense Publishers of London)

and am about halfway through the second chapter. Written around the time of General Hackett's The Third World War 1985

it seems to be taking a broad, diplomatic view of possibilities in conflict of that era. Jackson writes from the perspective of a 2040 era historian--an "alternative" history. Not sure what this genre is called.

It is a bit difficult of a read, but it spurred my interest in potential scenarios for TOAW based on Jackson's ideas.

Some questions:

Are there already any scenarios out there based on ideas of this book, as presented by Jackson?
I haven't been able to find any; if they are out there, please advise.

If not, how might one go about creating scenarios based on this book?
So far, I've only had some very vague ideas about African Continent scenarios,
based around chapter 1.

I don't see any scenarios like that for TOAW. are there any scenes based around the hypothetical South Africa conflicts he describes? Or conflicts amongst that area of the continent?

Well, thanks for reading. I just thought this book might be a source of ideas for more scenarios.
I am not anywhere near the ability of designing scenarios,
but this book made me want to think about making something.

Or maybe it might inspire some of you experts in scenario design?

Okay, well, I just thought I would toss this out for discussion if anyone is interested.

Thanks for reading!
Post #: 1
RE: The Alternative Third World War possible scenes? - 1/29/2020 6:19:21 PM   
erichswafford

Hey, I'm really into this subject. Happy to help out, but I've not yet designed a single TOAW scenario. My plan is to start by modifying/fixing existing WW3 scens (like Fulda 76, which is pretty broken re: the air war).

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: The Alternative Third World War possible scenes? - 1/29/2020 7:40:30 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: erichswafford

Hey, I'm really into this subject. Happy to help out, but I've not yet designed a single TOAW scenario. My plan is to start by modifying/fixing existing WW3 scens (like Fulda 76, which is pretty broken re: the air war).

Hello again! Thanks for your reply, my only exp. w/ scenario design was a little "To the Rescue" scene I did back in ACOW days (just a little six mover) based around V. Luki in the snow on the Russian front--unfortunately that effort has been lost to the ravages of time. But I am very interested in "Next War" type scenes in TOAW.

Many of those older "WWIII" scenes just don't work anymore in TOAWIV (IMHO) and even Cross's Next War suffers from the Win10 "memory leak" if not careful playing it. But still very playable.

If you can find it, there was also a Fulda 78(?) scene someone did for ACOW, that had a bigger map and was more robust than 76 version. But I have not been able to find that scene (as I recall, it had a sort of "diagonal" looking map and lots of air).

But, anyway, back to Jackson's book: it seems to suggest some starting points for a sort of "graduated" approach to a 30 year "alternative" WWIII (maybe along the lines of the Road to Moscow series) but I haven't been able to find even starting points for mapping S. African conflict in that era. It does suggest some possible "events" that could be included in such a series, though.

Okay, well, nice discussing this with you ... and could you turn up the heat in DFW today? Kind of chill here in GP!

Have a great gaming day!

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 1/29/2020 7:41:48 PM >

(in reply to erichswafford)
Post #: 3
RE: The Alternative Third World War possible scenes? - 1/30/2020 8:12:46 AM   
sPzAbt653

Have you looked thru these on Ryan's site?
http://alternatewars.com/Games/TOAW/TOAW.htm

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 1/30/2020 8:14:18 AM >

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 4
RE: The Alternative Third World War possible scenes? - 1/31/2020 6:06:02 PM   
Hellen_slith

Yes, I looked at a few (and downloaded most) but haven't opened many of them in TOAW (still working on getting III loaded)

but I haven't yet found any for map ideas on the deep South African Continent area. Most seem to be centered around Egypt etc. or are too large for my effort.

I was thinking of starting w/ some sort of South Africa area. Maybe a Madagascar area type conflict, w/ a sort of Imperialist v. Nationalist flavor? Things like that for that area.

I just finished chapter two of Jackson's book, at end of ch. 2 might suggest some idea for a little Kuwaiti type evacuation a la "Save the Diplomats!" / "To the Rescue!" for a Brits v. Iraqi type scene of just a few moves (six to eight moves, maybe, w/ limited force interaction b/w Brit SAS based via naval, against Iraqi shock troops SF trying to disrupt such an evacuation.

This Jackson book gives some good ideas so far, for some sort of "series" that one might construct...I was thinking of a "Road to Moscow" type thing, based on the ideas in chapters of Jackson's book. Well, I'll try to think up some sort of scenario idea for that chapter two, seems like it would be a good starting point.

Okay, well, thanks for suggestions! But again, I am just kibitzer level player, and not anywhere near the ability of scenario design, so if anyone want to collaborate on this, I would welcome the help (and will help as much as I can!! At the least, I can read Jackson's book, offer suggestions for scenario ideas, maybe even events and overall design goals, research as to OOB and such, but the "screwdriver and wrench" of putting it together to actually work in TOAW is probably beyond my ability.)

Thanks again for the input!

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> The Alternative Third World War possible scenes? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI