Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can't edit Scenarios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Can't edit Scenarios Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't edit Scenarios - 1/28/2020 3:17:16 AM   
cbuk

Hi

I am trying to load an existing scenario in the scenario editor. When I go in and File, open scenario. There are no files appearing. All the various folders under the scenario folder are empty. I know there are sce files in their but the folders are empty as far as the scenario editor is concerned.

Is anyone else having this issue?

I just bought it and patched it to 4.1.0.40
Post #: 1
RE: Can't edit Scenarios - 1/28/2020 4:59:40 AM   
Hellen_slith

I had a similar issue, I had to poke around the file directories, I finally found the one I wanted in

C:\My Documents\My Games\Operational Art of War IV\Scenarios

or something like that.

At first I could not find it b/c the default directory it was looking in was not the place where it was, so I had to change the directory to the \My Games\ etc. path.

As I recall, it was pointed to \Matrix Games\etc. path, I had to look in the \My Documents\My Games\ path instead.

I hope this helps!

(in reply to cbuk)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't edit Scenarios - 1/28/2020 11:06:39 PM   
cbuk

Thanks!

That did it. It defaults to my games under my documents which is not where I installed it...

PS Just looking at this. It is saving all sorts of things out in a directory where I did not install the game. Saved games, maps, scenarios etc... Is there a way to default everything to save where the game is actually installed?

< Message edited by cbuk -- 1/28/2020 11:16:03 PM >

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 3
RE: Can't edit Scenarios - 1/29/2020 5:07:38 PM   
Hellen_slith

Not sure, but I'd wager that there is somewhere in an .INI file that the default directories might be switched.

or maybe there is an .INI file that could be created to do that. I don't know what the switch or command might be.

This section of the op art. HTML help file might provide clue. Not sure if a command line switch, or an .INI file could be the answer:

"Unsupported Features for Power Users

TOAW has a number of hidden features that were originally developed for debugging purposes, or as quick and dirty utilities for use by in-house scenario designers. These features are not officially supported (which is why they are hidden from casual users and were undocumented until now), but some have interesting applications. Use them at your own risk.

Command Line Switches ....

To insert a command line parameter into a shortcut used to launch TOAW you will need to right click on the shortcut (details vary slightly depending upon which version of Windows you are using and how you have your shortcuts set up) and select “properties”. In the “target” field, enter a space after “exe”, followed by the command line switch you wish to use. Separate multiple switches by a space. If the target field appears within quotes, place your command line switch inside the quotes ....."

it goes on to describe some of the switches, but not one that might change defaults for saving things .... somebody out there probably can tell how to do it

(in reply to cbuk)
Post #: 4
RE: Can't edit Scenarios - 1/29/2020 9:15:07 PM   
Lobster

Where the files are saved is a Microsoft issue.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Post #: 5
RE: Can't edit Scenarios - 1/29/2020 9:33:49 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Where the files are saved is a Microsoft issue.

Going to have to disagree (cordially), not trying to nit-pick, but that is only partly true.

I have seen many times w/ many programs, in my experience, that those settings can indeed be tweaked.

Just not sure (yet) how to accomplish such in TOAW, easily, for the casual player.

Again, I could be wrong, and your mileage may vary! But TOP MEN are on it! TOP MEN!

Have a great gaming day!

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 1/29/2020 9:49:26 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 6
RE: Can't edit Scenarios - 1/30/2020 12:01:51 AM   
cbuk

Thanks for the reply Hellen_slith/ I'll dig around a see what I can find.

Lobster, I wouldn't think it is an MS since no other game saves files here. There must be something within the game telling it to go there rather than the install directory.

Post #: 7
RE: Can't edit Scenarios - 1/30/2020 9:37:17 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: cbuk

Thanks for the reply Hellen_slith/ I'll dig around a see what I can find.

Lobster, I wouldn't think it is an MS since no other game saves files here. There must be something within the game telling it to go there rather than the install directory.

You are right. I have no other games saving anything in my Documents folder. Except for the other 25 that do it. It would be more but I have Steam and the Steam games save in the Steam folder.

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to cbuk)
Post #: 8
RE: Can't edit Scenarios - 1/31/2020 12:09:39 AM   
cbuk

Oh Lord... No need to get butt hurt here....

In my experience I have not had games default to the users directories to save, games, scenarios and maps. Yes I have seen the occasion character profile being stored there but that is it.

When the editor defaults to a directory that has no scenario files in it, that is wrong and there should be a mechanism to change the default directory to where the actual game files are...

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 9
RE: Can't edit Scenarios - 1/31/2020 2:44:46 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: cbuk

Lobster, I wouldn't think it is an MS since no other game saves files here.

(in reply to cbuk)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Can't edit Scenarios Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI