Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WarPlan: Game or Simulation?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> WarPlan: Game or Simulation? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WarPlan: Game or Simulation? - 1/22/2020 9:24:42 PM   
DicedT

My biggest problem with WarPlan is that its schizophrenic: Is it meant to be a light wargame, or a realistic simulation of World War II?

Some features are very gamey, notably the Axis & Allies-esque capturing of enemy flak guns, and the easy amphibious invasions under the noses of the enemy's navy and air force. Add in the lack of stacking, and you have a Strategic Command-like game rather a deep historical simulation.

There's nothing wrong with that, except that some features of the game resemble the fiddly mechanics found in more complex wargames. In particular, the logistics rules such as tracking how many units can be supplied by a port. Or, the need to constantly look over your forces to determine which units have winter or anti-tank bonuses, or whether to build your armor with a breakthrough vs heavy armor focus.

There's nothing wrong with those features, either. Except that WarPlan becomes a sometimes awkward juxtaposition of light wargame and complex simulation. The intent may have been to create a game more realistic than Axis & Allies but less complex than World in Flames. To that extent, I think Warplan succeeds. But as the design stands now, I think it suffers from a dual identity.

Michael
Post #: 1
RE: WarPlan: Game or Simulation? - 1/22/2020 10:04:55 PM   
Michael T

quote:

Is it meant to be a light wargame, or a realistic simulation of World War II?

My own wish is that with time it becomes the later. But I think there are many around who want more a Axis and Allies game with little reference to the realities of WWII.

(in reply to DicedT)
Post #: 2
RE: WarPlan: Game or Simulation? - 1/22/2020 10:08:29 PM   
Flaviusx

The scale is such that some degree of abstraction is unavoidable.

But there are ways to abstract while remaining roughly historical. Given time, the game may get to the sweet spot. It just needs more development.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 3
RE: WarPlan: Game or Simulation? - 1/22/2020 10:26:42 PM   
AlvaroSousa

All three of you are wrong. It's a role playing game with a horror under tone similar to Call of Cthulhu. No one has gone far enough to get the secret Deep Ones in their armies.

Games worked on

Designer of the Strategic Command 2 products
- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

Designer of the Strategic Command 3 products
- Map Image Importer

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 4
RE: WarPlan: Game or Simulation? - 1/22/2020 11:58:39 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alvaro Sousa
All three of you are wrong. It's a role playing game with a horror under tone similar to Call of Cthulhu. No one has gone far enough to get the secret Deep Ones in their armies.

Well, you haven't shown anybody the secret hotkey for the InApp purchase to open that feature.

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 5
RE: WarPlan: Game or Simulation? - 1/25/2020 2:27:31 AM   
hansondavid4

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alvaro Sousa

Awesome! I am CRAZY about Cthulhu... I suspect Azathoth will have some serious combat factors.

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> WarPlan: Game or Simulation? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI