Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Modding feature request: Optional description field

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> MODS and Scenarios >> Modding feature request: Optional description field Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Modding feature request: Optional description field - 1/22/2020 3:45:46 PM   
Mr_Luxury_Yacht

Not sure if this is the right place to put this but what the hell. Would it be possible in a future update to add a field on units (and maybe faction eras) in the database to put a brief description? To be made accessible in the setup screen though something like an 'i' button or a tooltip? Not like the comments field. While that's great for internal comments I'm thinking something more accessible from the actual game itself.

Basically, I've made a couple hypothetical factions based on real nations but mostly full of unrealized cold war prototypes/a few things I just made up. It'd be great if there was somewhere I could write up a short description of a unit that could be accessed to give players an idea of what the unit's general strengths and weaknesses/roles are when building a force. In this genre, while most people have a general sense what a T-55 fielded by the Soviet Union can do, it wouldn't be exactly obvious what an entirely new tank fielded by the nation of, I don't know, Freedomia, can do. The same applies for different new nations through the eras. It'd be nice if modders had the option to give players that context.

Also not to combine two completely different topics, but small unrelated question: How does the AI decide what type of ammo to use if it has multiple options? Like if it's facing a tank and can shoot both APFDS and HEAT, which gets priority?
Post #: 1
RE: Modding feature request: Optional description field - 6/13/2020 3:57:43 PM   
JamesHunt

This game would definitely profit from further interfaces to add proper descriptions or campaign/mission briefings

< Message edited by JamesHunt -- 6/13/2020 3:58:10 PM >

(in reply to Mr_Luxury_Yacht)
Post #: 2
RE: Modding feature request: Optional description field - 6/14/2020 4:58:00 PM   
Veitikka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr_Luxury_Yacht

Not sure if this is the right place to put this but what the hell. Would it be possible in a future update to add a field on units (and maybe faction eras) in the database to put a brief description? To be made accessible in the setup screen though something like an 'i' button or a tooltip? Not like the comments field. While that's great for internal comments I'm thinking something more accessible from the actual game itself.

Basically, I've made a couple hypothetical factions based on real nations but mostly full of unrealized cold war prototypes/a few things I just made up. It'd be great if there was somewhere I could write up a short description of a unit that could be accessed to give players an idea of what the unit's general strengths and weaknesses/roles are when building a force. In this genre, while most people have a general sense what a T-55 fielded by the Soviet Union can do, it wouldn't be exactly obvious what an entirely new tank fielded by the nation of, I don't know, Freedomia, can do. The same applies for different new nations through the eras. It'd be nice if modders had the option to give players that context.

It should not be hard to add, but I think this is primarily a UI feature; where to put that text in the UI layout? Also, when it comes to the official content, if one unit has a description then all the other units should probably have it too. Not necessarily a bad idea, making the game more accessible.

quote:

Also not to combine two completely different topics, but small unrelated question: How does the AI decide what type of ammo to use if it has multiple options? Like if it's facing a tank and can shoot both APFDS and HEAT, which gets priority?

The first one in the list is selected.

Know thyself!

(in reply to Mr_Luxury_Yacht)
Post #: 3
RE: Modding feature request: Optional description field - 6/14/2020 5:02:22 PM   
Veitikka

quote:

ORIGINAL: JamesHunt

This game would definitely profit from further interfaces to add proper descriptions or campaign/mission briefings

The mission briefings can be edited in the Mission Editor, if that's what you mean? To edit a campaign briefing a text editor must be used at the moment.

Know thyself!

(in reply to JamesHunt)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> MODS and Scenarios >> Modding feature request: Optional description field Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI