Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Article about declassified report of inquiry into Sheffield's sinking

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Article about declassified report of inquiry into Sheffield's sinking Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Article about declassified report of inquiry into Sheff... - 1/20/2020 6:50:32 PM   
Filitch

The Guardian gives an article about the report on loss of the Sheffield
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/oct/15/revealed-full-story-behind-sinking-of-falklands-warship-hms-sheffield
Post #: 1
RE: Article about declassified report of inquiry into S... - 1/20/2020 8:08:09 PM   
WG

From the article:
quote:

The radar on board the ship that could have detected incoming Super Étendard fighter aircraft had been blanked out by a transmission being made to another vessel.

They couldn't use the UAA-1 ELINT receiver and the satellite radio at the same time? Whoops.

Also, it is funny that The Guardian calls the UAA-1 a "radar."

(in reply to Filitch)
Post #: 2
RE: Article about declassified report of inquiry into S... - 1/21/2020 1:02:28 AM   
Rebel Yell

I'm sure they're referring to the Type 965 radar Sheffield carried.

I see no reference to the UAA-1.

I used to enjoy these forums. So many people that need the green dot now.

(in reply to WG)
Post #: 3
RE: Article about declassified report of inquiry into S... - 1/21/2020 1:59:52 AM   
WG

Yes, The Guardian doesn't mention the UAA-1. The article isn't very detailed.

From a relevant thread on the World Affairs Board:
The SCOT satellite communications system operated on similar frequencies to a missile seeker. This combined with the close proximity of the SCOT and the UAA-1 ESM antenna’s demanded that ESM be turned off when SCOT was in use since SCOT’s sidelobes could not be kept out of the ESM system. This would ultimately lead to the destruction of HMS Sheffield to an Exocet missile whose active radar seeker could not be detected because SCOT was in use the moment the ship was attacked.

(in reply to Rebel Yell)
Post #: 4
RE: Article about declassified report of inquiry into S... - 1/21/2020 9:46:21 PM   
tjhkkr

The head of Argentinian Intelligence said that it was a flaw in the air search radar that allowed the Entendard to get into firing position in the first place, and that was cause.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to WG)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Article about declassified report of inquiry into Sheffield's sinking Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI