Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wargame Newbie experience and questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Wargame Newbie experience and questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wargame Newbie experience and questions - 1/18/2020 11:40:15 PM   
Graf_Spee

Hello everybody,

after watching lots of let's plays on youtube I eventually opted to get the game. In my Central Powers Campaign I have reached July 1915 where steam shows me 35 hours played (I took my time to think, reloaded sometimes and let the game run in background for some time).

Now I would like to ask a few questions and share my experiences:

How long does ressearch usually take? The first few rounds I invested almost all MPPs into reasarch (Infantry, Infantry Warfare, trenches, Command, Mobility + Submarine/Artillery for the Germans) but so far no new tech is ready.

And should I make another investment before the first level has been ressearched?

On the battlefield, I'm following an min-max strategy. Does this make sense or should I emphasis more to defend the nm points in the east and advance in the west at the expence of losing corps as the enemy appears to be replacing most of these losses rather easily.

I anhilated 25 Corps at the Western front (3 UK, 21 FR, 1 IT). In the East the Russians lost 20 Infantry corps, 2 Mountaineerdivisions, 3 Cav and 1 Art. And finally the Serbians lost 6 Corps and 2 Departments.

My own losses are 2 corps for Germany and 1 for the k.u.k. Empire.

The drawback of this strategy is that I did not gain too much ground. In the West, I took Boulogne, Lille and Nancy but ignored the French fortresses and am still far away from Paris. Most times I clear a hex I do not advance unless I can entrench and I'm not surrounded by more than three sides,

In Eastern Prussia I immeadiately retreated to build a front from Königsberg to Johannisburg and here I am waiting for the Russians to run out of Divisions.

In Galicia I sacrificed Lemberg and the oilfields and took cover in the Przemysl fortress. Whith some deficulties I could hold the line behind the Tyra River and recaptured Tschernowitz. Russian Forces in Galicia have thined so I may well be able to regain Lehmberg and the oilfields.

In Serbia I advanced to Pristina but the Serbians have gathered their forced at Nisch.

Is it common to spend most of your MPP on reinforcing your corps?

What about Italy? I lost Trento in the first attack. Are cities in the mountains treated as normal cities without any terrain specific defense boni? And should I save MPPs to move a commander here? Or should I take one from another front?

Just out of curiosity: Why is there Bruneck the second city in the region? Bozen, Meran and Brixen are all much larger towns in South Tyrol.

AI appeard to do a pretty good job in Land battle so far. When I misposition a corps it is minced in the next turn and it slips through any gap in my defence line. Much better than e.g. the HOI AI.

Nevertheless, I spotted a few glitches: Artillery, Commanders and aiplanes are often left unguarded so I can destroy them without losses. And sometimes attacks on the Western front are done without any chance to succeed, leaving the defence line weakened.

Also the British have some problems with their Navy AI. All their DNs, PDs, and most CCs and CAs are in the North of Scotland for the Blockade. So I am now freely shiping the German Navy through the channel, sinking some DDs, CVLs and CLs.

Before that I fought against the Russian Navy in the Ostsee and they brought in one ship per turn, letting the Germany ships sink them comfortably.

In general, I think Naval battle is the game's biggest weakness. Coast bombardement hurts the ship, but not the infantry, who can even attack a ship on a neighboring country. Big ships like DN, PD, CC & CAs should have a firing range of more than one hex just like artillery. And I do not yet see, that different types of ships have their dedicated roles. Why should I build anything else than SS, DD, DN (Though I can't spare enough MPPs to build anything new).

Post #: 1
RE: Wargame Newbie experience and questions - 1/19/2020 3:38:38 AM   
Sugar

Research: develop Intelligence asap with at least one of the major countries. Any difference in Int. to one side's disadvantage causes delays due to decreased opportunities to achieve a breakthrough. The easiest way to accelerate research is to chit every as much as possible if possible.

Researching single branches with only one chit possible (like Inf. Weapons)takes about 1 year to succeed without breakthroughs.

quote:

Is it common to spend most of your MPP on reinforcing your corps?
Yes. If you want your income to improve, research Industry, take major cities, mines, oilfields and force countries to surrender. Production helps decreasing costs of reinforcing/buying units.

The AI is quite okay compared to other strat. games, but also limited. If you want a challenge, play PbEMs, that's the real purpose of this series.

(in reply to Graf_Spee)
Post #: 2
RE: Wargame Newbie experience and questions - 1/19/2020 8:46:33 AM   
Xsillione

You research around 5% per turn with one chit, so around 20 turns without lucky breakthrough. That is around one and a half year. More chits makes it much faster (not linearly), putting three or four into important areas is the preferred method.

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Wargame Newbie experience and questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI