Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too) - 1/13/2020 7:30:18 PM   
Kuokkanen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVfR6-_2eLQ

#3 Total War: Warhammer II
#2 Civ6
#1 Total War: Three Kingdoms

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Post #: 1
RE: Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too) - 1/14/2020 6:55:59 PM   
ringoblood

Total War: Series don't surprise me, they advertise them like crazy on there and they are popular. They are DLC hogs, which I hate, if your a sucker well each to your own I guess, Slith turning the same way though with many of there game too, sadly, glad Matrix still good on that front.

< Message edited by ringoblood -- 1/14/2020 6:56:29 PM >

Beta Tester:
1. The Bloody First
2. Warplan

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 2
RE: Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too) - 1/14/2020 7:52:22 PM   
MrsWargamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ringoblood

Total War: Series don't surprise me, they advertise them like crazy on there and they are popular. They are DLC hogs, which I hate, if your a sucker well each to your own I guess, Slith turning the same way though with many of there game too, sadly, glad Matrix still good on that front.

Just curious, you realize that Slitherine and Matrix Games are the same people right?

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 3
RE: Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too) - 1/14/2020 7:56:09 PM   
ringoblood

Slith is the publisher that own Matrix, Matrix is its own developer branch of Slith, not same company but part of company.

Beta Tester:
1. The Bloody First
2. Warplan

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 4
RE: Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too) - 1/14/2020 8:02:33 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

Youth these days, complaining about DLC. In my youth we had to go all the way to town to buy DLC from computer store on CD or floppy disk. Oh fine, I got some DLC (on floppy disks) for Steel Panthers (original) through mail order: Cold Will (Winter War scenarios), Stalingrad Campaign, and 1 more (scenarios about SS Viking).

On more serious topic, video tells that the shortage of DLC for Total War: Three Kingdoms has led to early decline of the player base. If you want to buy the whole game with one payment, just wait until all the DLC has been made & done, and soon after it all comes available in one package and possibly with cheaper price than buying everything separately. I have done that with a number of games.

What comes to Matrix Games: Panzer Corps and SPWAW Mega Campaigns

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 5
RE: Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too) - 1/14/2020 8:25:04 PM   
ringoblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

quote:

Youth these days, complaining about DLC. In my youth we had to go all the way to town to buy DLC from computer store on CD or floppy disk. Oh fine, I got some DLC (on floppy disks) for Steel Panthers (original) through mail order: Cold Will (Winter War scenarios), Stalingrad Campaign, and 1 more (scenarios about SS Viking).

On more serious topic, video tells that the shortage of DLC for Total War: Three Kingdoms has led to early decline of the player base. If you want to buy the whole game with one payment, just wait until all the DLC has been made & done, and soon after it all comes available in one package and possibly with cheaper price than buying everything separately. I have done that with a number of games.

What comes to Matrix Games: Panzer Corps and SPWAW Mega Campaigns

I just prefer player made/ users made content. / mods. not being nickeled and dimed to death to play a game by greedy game companies

Beta Tester:
1. The Bloody First
2. Warplan

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 6
RE: Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too) - 1/14/2020 9:26:29 PM   
Red2112

- The Wargame Series, Airland Battles, Red Dragon etc.

- Graviteam Tactics.

- Darkest Hour.

- Commandos Series.

- Sky Nights.

- Dominions 5.

- Star Trek Starfleet Command Gold.

About all I can think of right now.

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 7
RE: Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too) - 1/15/2020 12:29:40 AM   
Lobster

quote:

Matrix has DLC also. They are marked DLC.

Also publishers, one of which is Matrix, can and do develope games in house.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 1/15/2020 12:31:32 AM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 8
RE: Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too) - 1/15/2020 9:24:42 AM   
RFalvo69

quote:

I just prefer player made/ users made content. / mods. not being nickeled and dimed to death to play a game by greedy game companies

There is still a difference between an expansion and a DLC. I agree, however, that the majority of DLCs (even the good ones) add a bit to the game for a bit of money. Maybe they hope to psychologically exploit the idea "it gives me more for a few cents".

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 9
RE: Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too) - 1/15/2020 11:00:30 AM   
Yogi the Great

DLC is a good way for a company to make money on a popular game. Many who like a particular game are happy to buy DLCs that interest them for a game they already have and enjoy. Just skip the ones you don't like. Much cheaper for the customer as well over a full standalone game.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 10
RE: Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too) - 1/15/2020 4:43:01 PM   
Kuokkanen

I'll add to that great majority of the games are still without DLC. I checked on it over a year ago (November 2018) by looking at games on Steam that were released year before on the same day. 25 games, only 1 game had paid DLC and another game had free DLC. Besides of that, all the games I have got new and played have had enough content without paid DLC. New games can even have MORE content WITHOUT DLC than old games WITH DLC (or expansion/scenario disk/whatever-you-call-it). Just look at all the content in Project Cars 2 without DLC, and show me an old ( = predates term "DLC") racing game that has more of it. I sure don't know any.

MekWars

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 11
RE: Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too) - 1/15/2020 6:45:50 PM   
Lobster

I would have to say Paradox Interactive is the King of DLC.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 12
RE: Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too) - 1/15/2020 10:06:16 PM   
ringoblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

AMEN

Beta Tester:
1. The Bloody First
2. Warplan

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 13
RE: Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too) - 1/16/2020 2:01:13 AM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

As someone who clocked 500+ hours on Crusader Kings (Steam Version), I can honestly say that their "expansions" are exactly that: add-ons that bring a lot of new meat to the game. Then, of course, there are the DLCs: The correct portraits for people of Anglo-Mongolian descent, the correct uniforms for Finland armies in 1389 etc. But they are purely cosmetic; you can skip them (*) without losing anything of the actual gaming experience.

Edit: (*) Of course over the years I bought everything anyway...

< Message edited by RFalvo69 -- 1/16/2020 2:02:19 AM >

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 14
RE: Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too) - 1/16/2020 5:01:39 AM   
Simulacra53

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

I'll add to that great majority of the games are still without DLC. I checked on it over a year ago (November 2018) by looking at games on Steam that were released year before on the same day. 25 games, only 1 game had paid DLC and another game had free DLC. Besides of that, all the games I have got new and played have had enough content without paid DLC. New games can even have MORE content WITHOUT DLC than old games WITH DLC (or expansion/scenario disk/whatever-you-call-it). Just look at all the content in Project Cars 2 without DLC, and show me an old ( = predates term "DLC") racing game that has more of it. I sure don't know any.

Number of games vs market share.
According to at least one readily available statistic DLC earnings have topped game sales since 2017.
That same stat shows that game sales earnings have been dropping, total earnings rising.

Love them or hate them, they are here to stay,
Cosmetics, add ons etc.
Some are great additions to great games, some improve mediocre games to good games and some are just theft.

Vote with your wallet.
I have stopped buying Electronic Arts games.
People should put their money where their mouths are.

Matrix is not better or worse - somewhere in the grey middle.
Good dlcs, mediocre dlcs and pretty poor dlcs - can’t accuse them of any money grabs, but their business model doesn’t need that if you look at the regular pricing of old, albeit mostly maintained, games. They have regular sales to counter that, so it evens out for the buyer.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 15
RE: Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too) - 1/16/2020 6:09:58 AM   
Simulacra53

Pcars 2 was not developed from a vacuum, it was preceded by Pcars, which had a healthy dose of dlc content.
A lot (if not all) the Pcars dlc content came as standard in Pcars 2. Pcars was supposed to be a start of a racing platform, but to the surprise of many instead of further development they announced Pcars 2. IMO it was a smart move to include most / all of the Pcars content in Pcars 2.

I participated in the mass development part - in house kickstarter - which for those sticking around actually gave a dividend. IMO that’s how a kickstarter should actually work instead of the silly stuff being offered. For the pcars returns I bought the dlcs and Pcars 2 and probably the season pass iirc.

Of course Pcars 2 had a healthy dose of dlc content in its own right.

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 16
RE: Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too) - 1/16/2020 7:38:27 AM   
Red2112

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simulacra53

Pcars 2 was not developed from a vacuum, it was preceded by Pcars, which had a healthy dose of dlc content.
A lot (if not all) the Pcars dlc content came as standard in Pcars 2. Pcars was supposed to be a start of a racing platform, but to the surprise of many instead of further development they announced Pcars 2. IMO it was a smart move to include most / all of the Pcars content in Pcars 2.

I participated in the mass development part - in house kickstarter - which for those sticking around actually gave a dividend. IMO that’s how a kickstarter should actually work instead of the silly stuff being offered. For the pcars returns I bought the dlcs and Pcars 2 and probably the season pass iirc.

Of course Pcars 2 had a healthy dose of dlc content in its own right.

And for that, Pcars 2 is/was your best bang for the buck IMHO. I really enjoy Pcars 2, and one of the reasons is just that, all the tracks you have to choose from, whitout having to buy any other DLC.

Red

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Top strategy games on Steam (war ones too) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI