Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cost of Building ships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Cost of Building ships Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cost of Building ships - 1/13/2020 6:08:47 PM   
DOCUP

Is there a place online where I can find what ships cost to be built? I am looking for ships from the 19teens to 1940s. Or is there a round about way saying a BB cost around this much and so forth? I know wiki will sometimes have the price.
Post #: 1
RE: Cost of Building ships - 1/13/2020 6:28:48 PM   
geofflambert

I notice the Wiki on the Brooklyn Navy Yard has 345 citations! I guess you could start looking in there.

Attachment (1)

Currently fighting for the Emperor against AW1Steve. As of 2/20 it is 7/44.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 2
RE: Cost of Building ships - 1/13/2020 6:30:36 PM   
GetAssista

It is not always easy to determine the actual cost of building a warship given the regulated economies with non-market-driven prices

This can get you started, it covers English WWI ships
http://www.gwpda.org/naval/wcosts.htm

< Message edited by GetAssista -- 1/13/2020 6:31:34 PM >

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 3
RE: Cost of Building ships - 1/13/2020 9:49:00 PM   
dr.hal

You can try congressional authorization and spending bills. That might help with the "expected" cost. You would have to track down additional authorizations to track cost overruns. This would be easier to do for larger units such as BBs and CVs.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 4
RE: Cost of Building ships - 1/14/2020 4:06:38 AM   
Ian R

Also, try DANFS. I am not sure if you will get every ship, but major USN acquisitions might have a costing.

The other place to try is the US GAO. I was once researching when the POMCUS sites in Westen Europe were completed (building), and when their stocking was complete. I found what I needed to know in the GAO documents from the 1980s, along with the DASHMs. They were never completely stocked by the way.

"You may find that having is not so nearly pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
- Cdr Spock

Ian R

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 5
RE: Cost of Building ships - 1/14/2020 12:59:57 PM   
Barb

DO not forget the total price tag usually consisted of two separate bills - one for the contracted yard to build the ship, the other for the Navy (subcontractors) to equip it!

E.G. while Hull, Machinery, accommodation, electric cables, bunks/lockers, stoves, toilets, etc would go from the Yard Bill, the armament (including turrets, torpedo tubes, DC throwers/rails), radars/directors, fire-fighting equipment, anchors+chains, ropes, messing equipment, etc would go from the Navy Bill. Some additional things could be sponsored - like fine china for the officers mess, etc.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 6
RE: Cost of Building ships - 1/14/2020 2:19:26 PM   
Sardaukar

Shattered Sword gave costs and refit costs for some IJN CVs. No tables etv, they are just in text.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 7
RE: Cost of Building ships - 1/15/2020 2:10:13 AM   
spence

The USCGC Taney cost $2.5 million dollars in 1936 (in the game on 12/7/41 after its initial re-armament). Her sisters (which show up in 1944-45) also cost $2.5 million in 1936 when they were initially constructed (the subsequent re-armaments and conversions added to the initial cost).

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 8
RE: Cost of Building ships - 1/15/2020 12:36:18 PM   
fcooke

That class of cutters were truly value for money. Other than the one lost in the Atlantic in WW2 the rest served in the Coast Guard into the 80s.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 9
RE: Cost of Building ships - 1/17/2020 12:45:28 AM   
DOCUP

Thanks guys. GetAssita, that was a big help.

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Cost of Building ships Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI