From: Cornucopia, WI
Have you looked into the Naval Mod? I've changed a number of parameters to make the naval game more realistic.
The two major changes are giving ships Zones of Control so the proper use of screening forces can keep you carriers out of harms way. The other is Carriers now have a Defensive Evasion of 70%. So even if you somehow get your carrier caught you have only a 30% chance of being damaged by a surface ship.
Also carriers have a search range of 8 hexs and CVLs of 6.
In addition ships in the mod are grouped in Task Forces simulating what the world's navies historically organized themselves.
Have your friend who owns the game go to this thread HERE and dowload the Naval Mod and see if it does the job. You should go there and a read the discussions and both of you can watch youtube videos of the mod here
Here is the Naval Mod Readme :
1. Ships were grouped in Task Forces which combined different classes that were combined to perform a specific task. Hence the name.
2. The majority of the names I have chosen for the Task Forces are names the US Navy used (the US Navy used a lot of names). There are a few exceptions and I ask for suggestions.
3. Rarely were single capital ships sent out, apart from the Germans, who sent out lone Raiders.
4. Without air support, it was very rare for capital ships to meet in the open ocean.
5. Airpower is deadly against ships.
6. Destroyers, Submarines, transports, and to a certain extent, light cruisers, were sunk by the hundreds while relatively few capital ships were sunk in the open ocean. The ones that were, were usually on suicide missions like the Yamato.
7. Aircraft carriers and Jeep carriers were rarely caught by surface ships and attacked.
8. Submarines were successful at damaging capital ships when they got the chance.
9. Task Forces were able to impede other naval vessels from bypassing their locations similar to the war gaming convention of Zones of Control. They caused other ships to slow down or even change course to avoid being attacked. Rarely did one Task Force pass through another unconstrained.
10. Task Forces usually consisted of 2 or more capital ships of the same class, ie.2 or more Battleships or Carriers were assigned to the same Task Force.
All Task Forces have a zone of control of +6.
All TF have defensive evasion ratings of 40% and above
Most TF with spotter planes have increased naval and land spotting zones of 3 or more hexes
Most capital ships have two strikes
The amount of capital ships has been reduced by half representing two ships of the same class in the same TF, ie. 2 BB in a Strike Task Force or 2 CV in a Fast Carrier Task Force.
The Dreadnaught unit has been changed to represent the “Bombardment Task Force”. Strength of 9, +4 vs most land units, 40%, defensive evasion, increased land spotting range of 2, 2 strikes.
The BB unit has been changed to the “Strike Task Force”. Strength of 10, +2 vs Naval, + 1 Naval spotting, 45% Defensive evasion, 2 strikes.
The CC unit = “Covering Task Force”. Strength of 8, 2 land and naval spotting, 45% def evasion, 2 strikes.
The CA unit = “Raider Task Force”. Strength 7, raider multiplier increased to 10, National Moral loss +50, 2 hex naval spotting, 50 definsive evasion, 2 strikes.
The CL unit = “Recon Task Force”. Strength 6, 3 hex naval spotting, 50% def evasion, 2 strikes.
The DD unit = “Screening Task Force”. Strength of 6, +1 AA, +1 ASW, 60% def evasion.
The SS unit is now “Wolf Pack”. Strength of 8
The CVL = “Hunter Killer Task Force”. Strength of 8, +6 ASW, 2 intercept, 5 hex naval spotting, 60% def evasion.
The CV = “Fast Carrier Task Force”. Strength of 10, 2 intercepts, 2 escorts, + 8 naval spotting, 60% def evasion, 2 strikes.
The MT unit = “Off Shore Task Force” no change.
Maritime Bomber unit has 8 hex naval spotting, +6 ASW and 18 hex range, 2 strikes
Put the files in the Campaign folder that is usually found ...
C:\Users\"YOUR_COMPUTER"\Documents\My Games\Strategic Command WWII - War In Europe/Campaigns
In SC3 World At War, the Naval Mods are part of the Community Pack and come free with the game. I'm working on the SC3 World War I mod now.