Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Autoconvoy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Autoconvoy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Autoconvoy - 1/8/2020 12:08:20 PM   
RogerJNeilson

Ok late on in the game and there is so much stuff to shift and so many places to shift into I went for a lot of auto convoy stuff. Makes the turns shorter but I have just realised that a number of the convoys are heading as cargo loads to places with next to no port facilities. I think this has put me off the auto convoy system as a blanket way of doing this, and will only nominate the big hubs for auto convoy. However, a lot is in transit and I am considering whether to cancel the auto convoys currently operational and return them to manual or will they simply dump their loads and the only thing I am losing is a bit of time as they take a long time to unload in small locations....

If they are going to sit in ports with just a little bamboo landing strip for months that's useless.

Any advice/ shared experience?

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Currently in 1945 of my sole surviving PBEM which has been running since the game came out.
Post #: 1
RE: Autoconvoy - 1/8/2020 12:39:29 PM   
Alfred

You can combine auto convoy with continuous convoy praxis.  Use the former (with the large merchantmen) for San Francisco to built up hub, the latter from the hubs to small underdeveloped locations with the small merchantmen.

Alfred

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 2
RE: Autoconvoy - 1/8/2020 12:52:29 PM   
HansBolter

I have never used the Auto Convoy system, but as I understand it, it is only good for maintaining minimum supply levels as bases set to use the system will only 'call' for a convoy when they fall below their needed minimum (three times what is needed).

If my understanding is correct, this system is of no use in building up supply stockpiles in forward locations to support operations.

I use Continuous Supply TFs as they will continue delivering their full capacity trip after trip after trip. This technique can be used to create the necessary stockpiles over and above any base's minimum needs.

Unlike the Continuous Supply TF, the Auto Convoy system also gives the player no control over routing as this is left entirely to the tactical AI. With Continuous Supply, the player can set routes using way points and ensure that the TF takes the same return route.

The only real draw back I see is forgetting about your CS convoys going to what have become back water locations and one day in late '45 discovering you have stockpiled 250k supply at locations like French Frigate Shoals.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 1/8/2020 12:58:09 PM >

Hans

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3
RE: Autoconvoy - 1/8/2020 2:55:47 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

You can combine auto convoy with continuous convoy praxis.  Use the former (with the large merchantmen) for San Francisco to built up hub, the latter from the hubs to small underdeveloped locations with the small merchantmen.

+1

I like the system as it tries to keep supply AND fuel topped up. You never know where you may want to stop off and get a tactical refuel in one of your manual convoys especially if a large convey suffered damage from the IJN, or misc factors such as a ship collision.

Having played only against the AI - I do utilize the Auto Convoy extensively as above with the following caveats.

1) As Hans noted - the AI chooses that path. Use only when confident you have secured SLOC and 'mostly' reduced the Japanese sub menace to small or reasonable amount. Typically mid 43 or latter. While not scientific or statistically proven I am certain IJN subs have 'auto convoy specific radar' coming out of San Francisco and in the waters near Pearl.

2) I implement in waves. "Secure and forget"

(a) when I have sufficient merchant cargo carriers i.e. when the Liberty ships start rolling out mid 1943 or latter

(b) 'North Pacific' ports first. Juneau, Dutch Harbor, Anchorage. Support lesser ports such as Adak as above with the smaller boats.

(c) 'Gilberts / Marshalls' next when I have advanced sufficiently collapsing the outer defensive perimeter. Tarawa / Makin / Ailinglaplap (spelling) where ports are larger and stacking limits permit built up defense

(d) South Pacific / Solomon Sea - Suva / Guadalcanal / French and Australian orphan islands when I have advanced sufficiently collapsing outer defensive perimeter.

(e) Midway / Wake - last - probably late 44. The AI seems to constantly try to raid any such convoys with EBoats / Patrol Boats / DDs / whatever they have left. No matter how beat down the IJN is there always seems to be another ship or so you did not account for

I have never expanded to Port Moresby for example nor deeper than Wake / Tarawa.

< Message edited by Macclan5 -- 1/8/2020 2:58:50 PM >

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 4
RE: Autoconvoy - 1/8/2020 3:29:38 PM   
kbfchicago

Warning - thread high jacking in progress...

Great post Rodger, I'm not a current user of Auto-Convoy, went away from it after using for the first couple of years of play. In part for the reason you noted.

Your dilemma does bring up a historical note... Cargo Cults. When you (re)optimize away from the small islands you'll be shorting the historical effect the War had on the small islands! So, "save the cargo cults"!!!

For those who like a quick entertaining reads I'd recommend Christopher Moore's "Island of the Sequined Love Nun", fast, entertaining, and educational on (a hypothetical impact of) Cargo Cults!

We now return you to your more serious thread discussions...

Kevin

Post #: 5
RE: Autoconvoy - 1/8/2020 3:48:58 PM   
RogerJNeilson

That piques my interest.......

Ok I am sorting the system for my game as I had already thought and as Alfred says.

So the only thing not resolved in my mind is what will happen to those auto convoy cargo tfs in transit when they arrive at level 1 or 2 ports - will they just unload incredibly slowly or will they actually just sit and do nothing?

If they will just unload gradually I can just leave them for now, but if they will just sit and do nothing I really need to change their orders...

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Currently in 1945 of my sole surviving PBEM which has been running since the game came out.

(in reply to kbfchicago)
Post #: 6
RE: Autoconvoy - 1/9/2020 6:40:20 PM   
Dili

As Japan i use auto convoy just to some main sub theaters, all the rest is with CS

Post #: 7
RE: Autoconvoy - 1/9/2020 7:48:46 PM   
RogerJNeilson

After substantial work over this turn I have revised everything and the only auto convoy is to a few places. as the Allies it amazes me that the two start points for autoconvoys are San Francisco and Colombo... I guess this was never amended with the extended map where the logic of Cape Town and Aden is pretty irrefutable.

Roger

< Message edited by RogerJNeilson -- 1/9/2020 7:49:00 PM >

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 8
RE: Autoconvoy - 1/10/2020 3:10:35 AM   
Ian R

It was San Fran and Colombo all the way back to pacwar.

"You may find that having is not so nearly pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
- Cdr Spock

Ian R

Post #: 9
RE: Autoconvoy - 1/10/2020 8:29:41 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerJNeilson
I guess this was never amended with the extended map where the logic of Cape Town and Aden is pretty irrefutable.

I think you are mixing autoconvoy and CS again. There's no point making an off-map autoconvoy hub - it is too far away. It is served just fine through CS convoys transporting stuff to the on-map hub.

The game would be better off with players able to select their own autoconvoy hubs. To me, there is no algorithmic difficulties with switching SF for other large port base. Alas. But then, hardly anyone uses autoconvoys much anyway

< Message edited by GetAssista -- 1/10/2020 8:36:50 AM >

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Autoconvoy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI