Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Choking Halifax 1986

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> After Action Report >> Choking Halifax 1986 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Choking Halifax 1986 - 1/3/2020 9:09:16 PM   
fitzpatv

In this scenario, you have command of a Soviet Kilo-class sub on a special operation on the eve of WW3. You are charged with landing a Spetsnaz team near Halifax, Nova Scotia. This will then move inland and sabotage a logistics hangar at Shearwater Airport. The submarine then has a second mission to lay mines in the harbour approach channel at Halifax, after which it must make its escape.

This was my first game of CMO (as opposed to CMANO) and I was favourably impressed with the improved graphics and user interface. It was especially useful to be able to alter speed and depth without going to a separate window.

The scenario went less well. I went to periscope depth at the start to have a look around and detected a Canadian helicopter-carrying destroyer (the St Laurent) worryingly close. There was a minesweeper with no ASW capability in the harbour channel and some merchant shipping on the way out. A 'submarine' contact predictably proved to be biologic.

Altered course away from the St Laurent and approached the Spetsnaz insertion point indirectly. This worked and the commandos duly 'teleported' ashore.

I wasn't sure how much it mattered, but took advantage of the new detailed ground terrain definition to plot a course through woods and away from built-up areas. The Spetsnaz reached the airport and carried-out their mission as ordered, attacking manually with demolition charges. On the way out, they nearly bumped into an 'unknown ground unit', but I spotted it in time, altered course away from it and got clear as it moved to investigate what had happened at the airport.

The Spetsnaz continued to supply useful information about the locations of Canadian ships, helping the Kilo to proceed just beneath the layer at cruise speed (not realistic, as they'd have had no comms link to the submerged sub in reality).

Forewarned, the Kilo steered a course to avoid the St Laurent and manoeuvred around the minesweeper to reach the minelaying zone, being careful to stay well clear of a Canadian defensive minefield to the E side of the channel.

It was then that things started to go wrong. It is necessary to assign the sub to a minelaying mission, which I did. The exact parameters of this are best known to the AI, but out of my control, the Kilo began meandering about, taking an eternity to lay its 24 mines (which was as much fun as watching paint dry). Meanwhile, the minesweeper sailed around and through the newly-laid field, apparently immune but unable to clear the mines, either.

With six mines left to deposit, I was suddenly informed that the sub had been destroyed - I can only assume by one of its own mines!! As it was moving according to the AI's mission parameters well away from the enemy minefield and had previously seemed in no danger from its payload, I'm not at all sure what I could have done about this. A pity, as the scenario had been quite absorbing up to that point, but a really unsatisfactory conclusion.
Post #: 1
RE: Choking Halifax 1986 - 1/4/2020 8:30:04 AM   
michaelm75au

The mine activation time is only 2 hours from memory. So the mines are probably going live before the sub finishes laying all of them.
I normally give them a 3-4 hour delay to ensure I have enough time to lay them all and get out of the field before they go active.

Michael

(in reply to fitzpatv)
Post #: 2
RE: Choking Halifax 1986 - 1/4/2020 5:32:18 PM   
Randomizer

This scenario features other means of destruction for your boat that would provide no warning:

- Acoustic torpedo from your baffles;

- A helo-dropped Mk-11 depth charge; and

- A Mk-10 Limbo mortar salvo from an undetected St. Laurent.

So you may not actually been killed by one of your own mines.

-C

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 3
RE: Choking Halifax 1986 - 1/14/2020 9:56:54 AM   
fitzpatv

Pretty sure it was the mines. Didn't know there was an activation time setting and following the advice above would probably have prevented the issue.

I knew where the St Laurent was and was well out of its detection range (those Spetsnaz on shore are really, if unrealistically useful). Conceivably I got spotted by its helicopter, but it was operating out to sea, covering the convoy's route with sonobuoys and dropped none near me. Supposedly, there's another Canadian ASW vessel out there somewhere, but neither the Kilo nor the Spetsnaz spotted it. The minesweeper's sonar is of the point-blank range variety and it never came close enough to see me.

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> After Action Report >> Choking Halifax 1986 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI