Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for testing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for testing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for testing - 1/2/2020 12:20:57 AM   
Mgellis

My newest beta scenario, a fishing dispute between the UK and Sweden that turns ugly.

As always, please let me know what you think, what needs to be fixed, what would make it a more fun and challenging scenario, etc. Thanks!

[version 4 uploaded 2:25 PM EST 1/4/20]

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mgellis -- 1/4/2020 6:26:45 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for tes... - 1/2/2020 5:41:03 PM   
Parel803

Start to play. Not very important but it looks that Bremerhaven is on the position of Stavanger. Both nice ports to visit.

with regards

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 2
RE: The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for tes... - 1/2/2020 7:26:22 PM   
PN79

I like it. At first pretty peaceful and then escalation.

One technical note the event "we have found survivors from Tyne" was activated before Tyne was sunk - before any shooting started. The mission probably did not expect that I have just followed Swedish fishing ship for some time before spraying it with MG.

SIDE: United Kingdom
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
1x P 281 Tyne [River Class, Batch 1]

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
5x 27mm Mauser BK-27 Burst [30 rnds]
3x 7.62mm MG Burst [20 rnds]
1x AIM-132A ASRAAM
18x Brimstone 2
2x Brite Cloud Active Expendable Decoy
1x Generic Flare Salvo [4x Cartridges, Dual Spectral]
2x Generic Chaff Salvo [8x Cartridges]
10x Meteor

SIDE: Swedish Fishing Boats

LOSSES:
1x Commercial Factory Trawler [2,500t DWT]
1x Commercial Trawler [800t DWT]

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: Neutrals

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: Sweden

LOSSES:
3x JAS 39F Gripen NG
1x K 31 Visby

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
20x 57mm/70 Bofors Mk3 GP Burst [4 rnds]
6x Brite Cloud Active Expendable Decoy
20x DUAL TRAP Chaff/Flare
2x GBU-49/B Paveway II GPS/LGB [Mk82]
6x Generic Chaff Salvo [8x Cartridges]
3x RB 107 Meteor
2x RB 15M Mk3
1x RB 98 IRIS-T [AIM-2000A]

SIDE: British Fishing Boats

LOSSES:
1x Commercial Fishing Boat [35m]

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

< Message edited by PN79 -- 1/2/2020 7:27:33 PM >

(in reply to Parel803)
Post #: 3
RE: The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for tes... - 1/3/2020 12:33:47 AM   
Mgellis

Version 3 uploaded. I think I fixed the problem with the Event going off too early. Made a few additional tweaks.

As always, please let me know what you think. Thanks!

(in reply to PN79)
Post #: 4
RE: The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for tes... - 1/3/2020 12:41:07 AM   
BeirutDude

Going to try to give this a go when I finish tweaking the scenario I'm working currently working on. I always enjoy your scenarios.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 5
RE: The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for tes... - 1/3/2020 10:34:41 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

I tried version 3 and really like the changes, but can't report on it functioning properly because I screwed up.

I think I accidentally broke the flow of scenario.

I had HMS Tyne engage a Swedish fishing boat with a few bursts of GPMGs, but by doing that, the boat was declared hostile, and HMS Dragon fired off a Harpoon. Absolutely not my intention. Can't recall it, and the nearby Swedish Corvette (Which Dragon had been shadowing), opens fire with missiles and cannon. Dragon defeats the missiles but takes damage from cannon fire, including the loss of one Harpoon mount and the onboard Helo. The Swedish corvette is sunk by a Harpoon from Dragon.

So I'm giving it another try, this time I've told Dragon to be Weapons HOLD on surface targets.

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 1/3/2020 10:35:08 PM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 6
RE: The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for tes... - 1/3/2020 11:55:54 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Well I've got a more proper progress report. I'm not done with the scenario, but things seem to have reached a lull, so I thought I would report in.

Upon detecting the first Swedish fishing boat, neither of my ships were close to intercept, so I dispatched a Typhoon to strafe it with cannon. I manually allocated two salvos. Both salvos hit the trawler, which apparently knocked out the engines, but this was not enough to get credit for 'damaging' the trawler. It took another few salvos to finally get the credit, though I was credited twice simultaneously.

The second trawler was in a different area of the EEZ Enforcement Zone (as i've called the AO), and HMS Tyne was nearby, so I dispatched her to engage. I engaged with 7.62mm GPMG fire, which also disabled the trawler's engines, but as with the Typhoon strafing, also did not acknowledge as 'Damaged'. I fired some more GPMG bursts as well as about 10 20mm shells (2 or 3 of which hit) and then I finally got credit for the damage. As with the first trawler, I was also double credited, giving me a score of 80 at this stage (20 for each damage threshold).

The trawlers do not seem to be in danger of sinking, but they can't leave the EEZ.

Several in-game hours afterward, a pair of Grippens begin buzzing HMS Dragon at 2000ft, which is on station at the eastern edge of the EEZ, but they do not engage, so I hold my fire.

Then I suddenly pick up several missiles skimming the sea toward the general position of HMS Dragon, but not directly at her. Dragon fires several SAMS, ultimately splashing all 8 missiles, though one Grippen flew within the targeting envelope of one SAM and was shot down, though the other Grippen did not engage and the Swedes were still labelled as Unfriendly. The other Grippen has bugged out toward home.

That is the present situation where I have stopped to save my game, as some real world circumstances prevent me from playing any longer tonight, I will resume tomorrow.

While this is incomplete feedback, I feel it is important to note the following:

-The Double simultaneous scoring for damaging a Swedish fishing boat.

-I think the damage threshold for achieving the damage credit is still too high. Granted it may be an engine issue where a 7.62mm GPMG can disable a trawler's engines, but perhaps some work can still be done.

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 1/3/2020 11:57:01 PM >

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 7
RE: The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for tes... - 1/4/2020 2:57:28 AM   
HalfLifeExpert

Turns out I was able to resume the scenario this evening.

With no clear directive at this stage, I launched two Typhoons to patrol near HMS Dragon. They end up getting engaged by a pair of Grippens. Both Grippens are shot down and the Typhoons survive.

I then make the judgement call to return fire against the Swedish Corvette, which I had roughly detected within Harpoon range. So I fire 3 Harpoons from Dragon, which sink the Corvette.

Over the next few in-game hours, I disable a 3rd Fishing trawler and sink the factory trawler Uppsala Provider with a Harpoon Missile, which ends the scenario in a Triumph for me with a score of 590.

Same Critiques from the previous post, with an addition of:

There should be some kind of special message indicator of the Swedes possibly going hostile after damaging the first or second trawler, as when I sank the Corvette, the pop-up was one what refered to existing orders to sink the Corvette and the Uppsala Provider.

SIDE: United Kingdom

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
10x 20mm GAM-BO1 Oerlikon Burst [20 rnds]
4x 27mm Mauser BK-27 Burst [30 rnds]
6x 30mm/75 DS30B Mk1 HE Burst [20 rnds]
28x 7.62mm MG Burst [20 rnds]
1x Ariel Mk2 FOTRD
16x Aster 15 PAAMS [GWS.45 Sea Viper]
6x Aster 30 PAAMS [GWS.45 Sea Viper]
2x Brite Cloud Active Expendable Decoy
2x Generic Chaff Salvo [8x Cartridges]
12x Meteor
8x RGM-84D Harpoon IC

SIDE: Swedish Fishing Boats

LOSSES:
1x Commercial Factory Trawler [2,500t DWT]

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: Neutrals

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: Sweden

LOSSES:
5x JAS 39F Gripen NG
1x K 31 Visby

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
6x 57mm/70 Bofors Mk3 GP Burst [4 rnds]
15x Brite Cloud Active Expendable Decoy
4x DUAL TRAP Chaff/Flare
15x Generic Chaff Salvo [8x Cartridges]
8x RB 107 Meteor
8x RB 15M Mk3
1x RB 98 IRIS-T [AIM-2000A]

SIDE: British Fishing Boats

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

Post #: 8
RE: The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for tes... - 1/4/2020 9:27:33 AM   
Wasicun

i completed the scenario. Triumph!
Thank you and keep up the good work!

Post #: 9
RE: The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for tes... - 1/4/2020 3:33:43 PM   
AKar

Very fun scenario. While I find the subject of this one hardly believable, I think small conflicts and less-than all-out shooting war scenarios in particular are way underrepresented in CMO. Many of my favorites are the ones that keep you on your toes as you maintain readiness or perform other operations - sometimes without firing a shot. Thanks for another great one, and keep it up!

(in reply to Wasicun)
Post #: 10
RE: The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for tes... - 1/4/2020 6:29:21 PM   
Mgellis

Version 4 uploaded. I think I fixed the problem with the multiple awards for damaging the Swedish fishing boat, and added a couple of minor tweaks (Dragon starts off a little further away now, but not much...a little harder for them to help the Tyne out...). Also changed one of the messages to clarify things, as requested.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

(in reply to AKar)
Post #: 11
RE: The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for tes... - 1/9/2020 4:24:49 AM   
Mgellis

Any additional thoughts on this one? Is it ready for the Community Scenario Pack? Thanks.

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 12
RE: The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for tes... - 1/18/2020 8:43:52 PM   
PN79

Event Survivors from Tyne is still weird. It makes event check if it should be run or not before anything happens. And when Tyne is actually sunk it is no longer activated so there is no reason to look for survivors (apart from roleplay).

Other things in the mission are fine.

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 13
RE: The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for tes... - 1/19/2020 9:26:54 PM   
Mgellis

Yes, it's a glitch I don't know how to fix. Basically, if the helicopter flies over a relatively small patrol area using linked reference points (see the neutral side to find them), that's the trigger but the Swedes have to be hostile for it to be completed. And it does not repeat. I tried to make it work with a repeating Event, but then it gets really screwy. Basically, partly a matter of luck...if you search too early in the wrong place, later on you won't find any survivors.

I'm not sure there is a way to fix this (at least, not with my low level of lua knowledge).

Thanks for spotting this. I'll keep playing around with this and may update the scenario later on if I figure out how to fix it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: PN79

Event Survivors from Tyne is still weird. It makes event check if it should be run or not before anything happens. And when Tyne is actually sunk it is no longer activated so there is no reason to look for survivors (apart from roleplay).

Other things in the mission are fine.

(in reply to PN79)
Post #: 14
RE: The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for tes... - 1/25/2020 12:29:13 PM   
serjames

Just playing this interesting scenario now. I just had a surprise message at 30-01-22 Zulu 22:53:46 "we have found survivors from Tyne" - but it's not been sunk ? or attacked ?

Oops just read it's already been spotted (several times - Sorry)

< Message edited by serjames -- 1/25/2020 12:51:46 PM >

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> The Hackley Head Fish War, 2020 -- new beta for testing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI