Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DW2 Mod list

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> DW2 Mod list Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DW2 Mod list - 1/1/2020 3:41:21 PM   
Grognerd_INC

Just curious to find out what players are thinking what mods to do when this is released later this year?

It looks like it may be a bit more difficult (for me anyway) working with 3D models. Might have to find a program and practice on them.

Me, I like hard Science Fiction, constrained by the laws of physics. Except perhaps suspending my disbelief in the FTL drives!
Although there are still many unknown aspects of physics, cosmology, quantum gravity and such that could lead to profound technologies. But regardless I like to stay grounded as best I can.
Post #: 1
RE: DW2 Mod list - 1/1/2020 4:43:57 PM   
Shark7

I bet there will be a lot of folks updating/upgrading some of the existing mods to work with it as well. DW:U has some good mods for sure.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Grognerd_INC)
Post #: 2
RE: DW2 Mod list - 1/1/2020 4:52:17 PM   
Kingah

Probably my favorite way to play DW atm is by building sub light 1 to 3 system empires with the bacon mod.
So try to find a way to edit components and the research tree in a way to make sub light empires viable in a game sense, for me and the AI?

Same as you I really love hard sci-fi. Been watching a few to many episodes of Isaac Arthurs' youtube series.
I really hope being able to colonize everything and build orbital habitats will be a thing. Otherwise, seeing if that's possible will probably be something I can imagine pouring many hours into.
Looking at you Bacon ;P

Post #: 3
RE: DW2 Mod list - 1/1/2020 6:36:41 PM   
Grognerd_INC

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

I bet there will be a lot of folks updating/upgrading some of the existing mods to work with it as well. DW:U has some good mods for sure.

I have wondered how easy converting old mods will be with a new 64 bit 3D engine.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 4
RE: DW2 Mod list - 1/2/2020 11:34:43 AM   
Osito

I tried doing a 'real world' galaxy map for DW1, but the map wouldn't work with other mods, which made it kind of useless. If DW2 has fixed this problem, I will probably try again. May do a Star Trek map too.

Might also consider updating 'Research Unleashed', depending on what I think of the vanilla DW2 tech tree. I will certainly want to try to slow down hyperdrive speeds, if the vanilla speeds are as high in DW2 as they were in DW1.

< Message edited by Osito -- 1/2/2020 11:35:18 AM >

Osito

Post #: 5
RE: DW2 Mod list - 1/2/2020 11:49:30 AM   
Grognerd_INC

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osito

I tried doing a 'real world' galaxy map for DW1, but the map wouldn't work with other mods, which made it kind of useless. If DW2 has fixed this problem, I will probably try again. May do a Star Trek map too.

Might also consider updating 'Research Unleashed', depending on what I think of the vanilla DW2 tech tree. I will certainly want to try to slow down hyperdrive speeds, if the vanilla speeds are as high in DW2 as they were in DW1.

I will probably work on maps too. Not sure yet if DW2 will have 3D or 2D maps. 3D would be crazy cool. There are enough 3D star mapping programs that use real astronomical data to make some pretty accurate maps!
I did make one map that worked in DW Universe, It's approximately 1300 Light years across, It's 2D but works. Accuracy is well approximate, as only large stars are well charted past the local bubble.
As a previous post, if DW2 allows for 2000 stars, a real accurate 3D map would only go out to 62 or so light years. Even then at the edges red dwarf stars of the m class and brown dwarfs are not charted.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 6
RE: DW2 Mod list - 1/2/2020 12:36:08 PM   
OnePercent

Legend of the Galactic Heroes mod, Add in all the ship hulls etc, and both factions in the story to play, it is mostly just an asset mod, with some visual effects like blue lasers, Iserlohn Fortress among other lore locations.

My dream mod would be a Sword of the Stars II style overhaul mod.

< Message edited by OnePercent -- 1/2/2020 12:37:57 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: DW2 Mod list - 1/2/2020 1:18:05 PM   
Grognerd_INC

quote:

ORIGINAL: OnePercent

Legend of the Galactic Heroes mod, Add in all the ship hulls etc, and both factions in the story to play, it is mostly just an asset mod, with some visual effects like blue lasers, Iserlohn Fortress among other lore locations.

My dream mod would be a Sword of the Stars II style overhaul mod.

It's cool that users (us, you me and everybody else) can make mods to fit the science fiction books, games, movies and series to suit our whims.

(in reply to OnePercent)
Post #: 8
RE: DW2 Mod list - 1/14/2020 9:11:34 AM   
wetpig

If the hyperdrives feel to fast ill be making them slower to make space feel vaster.

Post #: 9
RE: DW2 Mod list - 1/14/2020 9:58:49 AM   
Grognerd_INC

quote:

ORIGINAL: wetpig

If the hyperdrives feel to fast ill be making them slower to make space feel vaster.

Yes, considering it's 5.5 light hours to Pluto (more or less) it needs to feel vast.

I'm going to try my hand at a "realism" mod to fit into a hard science fiction backstory.

(in reply to wetpig)
Post #: 10
RE: DW2 Mod list - 1/19/2020 6:40:43 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

I found that its less that hyperdrives are too fast and more that its too easy to get to them. This is generally true of all the techs so I always play my games with max research costs. This greatly slows down progression but still allows for fast travel late game if you haven't won by some other means by then. This also seems to help the ai get more established before they make their way out of their systems so they don't expand too quickly and stall out.

(in reply to wetpig)
Post #: 11
RE: DW2 Mod list - 1/20/2020 5:46:38 PM   
Grognerd_INC

The link below is where I get a lot of my inspiration for a realism mod in DW2, it's sister website is 3D Starmaps in case you want fairly accurate star maps of all scales. It's purpose is to give Sci-Fi writers some real science background and is a very comprehensive site.

ProjectRho - Atomic Rockets

The amount of "suspend your disbelief" necessary for any entertaining sort of gaming experience for Science Fiction games and 4X style is utterly absurd. So many little things get in the way! Like the Laws of thermodynamics, Fundamental forces of nature and many, many others. Entertainment like Star Trek, Star Wars & even The Expanse break most of these fundamental things to tiny little pieces.

Based on what is an allowable mod in DW2 I am going to attempt to create this mod. So far my idea is to build it around a local star field transferred to a 2D or (Hopefully) a 3D starmap. 1500 to 2000 stars are somewhere around a 65 light year bubble with Sol in the center. There is plenty of software available to use as a reference, a few of the paid ones have pretty up to date astronomical data. I will use the lists of known exoplanets to populate the data.

I want to modify the resources lists to mimic the periodic table (no unobtainium or other fictitious items). There is plenty to work with in the periodic table, along with some well thought out manufactured materials.
Research should follow the known fundamental forces and not get into real crazy technologies, after all a laser beam can be at various energy levels, light, UV, X-Ray & gamma ray. I'd imagine a gamma ray laser would be pretty dangerous! Particle beams sure can be a thing, they need to be neutral beam type. Missile systems can't be based on chemical rockets, not enough ranges, dang an ICBM only has an intercontinental range! Probably based on nuclear engines or Ion drives. Detonation lasers could be a thing (X-ray scatter shot laser pumped by a nuclear weapon). Gauss cannons and rail guns could be a thing (they are not the same thing).

I get too wordy sorry... But it's crazy, just look up how starships would generate electricity is pretty funny. Very limited ways to generate electricity from Fission, Fusion or any other energy source. The other funny thing is the amount of heat generated to get rid of is amazing. Look at the Space Shuttle or ISS and review their heat radiator systems. A starship with gigawatts of energy for the lasers alone would require enormous amounts of heat exchangers, in space only radiation works to dissipate heat which limits your options and you end up with a third of your ships mass in radiators. Heat radiation is a big thing and it gets no mention in any SCI-Fi tropes.

Yep even though I want to address all these overlooked technical details in research and ships components, I still will need to "suspend some disbelief" to pull it off!
I won't even mention FTL drive but you gotta have it! Based on how the game uses FTL I'll either use the old Einstein-Rosen bridge (wormhole) or the Alcubierre drive - the only two candidates that are accepted in physics today. Might have to go with the old vacuum energy ploy to make them feasible. At least neither incurs any time dilation effects!

Many other mods to go over but I'll end this post here before it gets too wordy!

< Message edited by larrybush -- 1/20/2020 5:48:21 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: DW2 Mod list - 1/21/2020 3:03:27 PM   
OnePercent

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

I found that its less that hyperdrives are too fast and more that its too easy to get to them. This is generally true of all the techs so I always play my games with max research costs. This greatly slows down progression but still allows for fast travel late game if you haven't won by some other means by then. This also seems to help the ai get more established before they make their way out of their systems so they don't expand too quickly and stall out.

I actually prefer to play like this because I can get overwhelmed with constant retrofitting as technology gets done too quickly.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 13
RE: DW2 Mod list - 1/22/2020 5:19:26 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

ORIGINAL: OnePercent

I actually prefer to play like this because I can get overwhelmed with constant retrofitting as technology gets done too quickly.

I think this is also what stalls out the ai as it keeps cycling its ships back for refits and doesn't expand as much.

(in reply to OnePercent)
Post #: 14
RE: DW2 Mod list - 1/22/2020 12:46:23 PM   
Cauldyth

One of the reasons I like playing with tech progression set to very slow!

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 15
RE: DW2 Mod list - 1/22/2020 2:42:46 PM   
Grognerd_INC

I agree, the game should be won or lost on proper management and strategic insight/tactical battle skills - Not on who researched planet killing death rays first.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> DW2 Mod list Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI