Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Play up, play up and play the game.... Flashman returns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Play up, play up and play the game.... Flashman returns Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Play up, play up and play the game.... Flashman ret... - 10/28/2020 2:46:14 AM   
BBfanboy

Being a suspicious sort, Uncle Joe just might think your actions along the north coast of Japan are designed to forestall a Soviet leap from the two islands they have taken onto Honshu. Flashman should recommend loaning the Soviets some xAPs and xAKs so they can bring all of their army for a direct amphib assault on Tokyo. What could go wrong?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 121
RE: Play up, play up and play the game.... Flashman ret... - 10/29/2020 12:31:12 AM   
Capt. Harlock

Anybody else have an unsettled feeling about the "plans for that parade"?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 122
RE: Play up, play up and play the game.... Flashman ret... - 11/9/2020 6:48:06 PM   
RogerJNeilson

Flashman kept an interested eye on the map and the developments. He had a sense that time was ticking away and he needed a plan. Now the 1st August news had come through that with the taking of Okayama and Kanazawa allied forces in Jpana had effectively liked up the landing sites and also cut Japan in two. The only question was whether they then removed the western forces or trend immediately to Tokyo in what would be a bloody battle but would effectively end the war.

He also wondered what was going on behind the bamboo curtain as it was coming to be called.... and when he would be 'invited' to Port Arthur.

Attachment (1)

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Currently in 1945 of my sole surviving PBEM which has been running since the game came out.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 123
RE: Play up, play up and play the game.... Flashman ret... - 11/12/2020 10:49:16 AM   
Alfred

Is it really necessary to engage in costly land battles which help the enemy's VP denominator? Don't you now have sufficient air base infrastructure to quickly finish off the game with strategic bombing?

Alfred

Post #: 124
RE: Play up, play up and play the game.... Flashman ret... - 11/14/2020 7:05:53 PM   
RogerJNeilson

I may have loads of 4Es and could simply plough up everything, but it would make a very tedious game, and having now got a lot of troops on the Home Islands I really want to use them.

As for losing points by engaging in land battles, that does not seem to be borne out by the stats.....

Roger

Attachment (1)

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Currently in 1945 of my sole surviving PBEM which has been running since the game came out.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 125
RE: Play up, play up and play the game.... Flashman ret... - 11/14/2020 10:50:26 PM   
BBfanboy

Alfred was suggesting the slope of the curve might be less than the ideal 2:1+ .
Estimating from the chart, you started with a ratio of about 1.13 on turn 1210 and ended with about 1.74, so your ratio is improving but it is not going above 2.0 yet. That means your Autovictory is being delayed.

But as you said, you want to play it out to see how it goes in this rare game with invasion of Japan. I'm good with that! We need more time for Flashman's fate to be revealed.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 126
RE: Play up, play up and play the game.... Flashman ret... - 11/15/2020 9:21:40 AM   
RogerJNeilson

Yep I get that, I have never played this game (heresy) for a points result, but always to see how well I could do compared to the historical outcome. At the moment the points are showing a marginal victory. If you look at the map I would suggest its not really marginal and is heading towards complete victory. I have always leant away from the playing for points aspect.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 127
RE: Play up, play up and play the game.... Flashman ret... - 11/15/2020 9:23:21 AM   
RogerJNeilson

If this were a game of `Go' (origin Japan), everything that is red on that map outside of the Home Islands would be regarded as 'dead' stones.

Roger

Post #: 128
RE: Play up, play up and play the game.... Flashman ret... - 11/15/2020 10:07:39 AM   
Alfred

The VP structure does take into account the historical record.

You may think that in territorial terms you are in advance of the historical record, although there is important territory shown to be still in Japanese hands, but you have taken much heavier casualties than was the case historically. Public opinion exercised a severe handbrake on the feasibility of Allied operations. If anything, AE's casualties transformed into the VP system very much discounts the historical public opinion handbrake.

Alfred

Post #: 129
RE: Play up, play up and play the game.... Flashman ret... - 11/15/2020 5:43:27 PM   
RogerJNeilson

I as always bow to your knowledge Alfred. I would dispute that outside of the Home Islands there is anything important as regards to the war. The Japanese side has little apart from the odd MTB afloat and next to no supplies anywhere. We have recently discovered a BB which has been dealt that was hiding at an anchorage in the HI and there is possibly one CL lurking.. whether they have any fuel is debatable. Their air strength is on a couple of bases in Japan and pretty much impotent. Thus anything that is flying the Japanese flag is merely awaiting the orders from home to surrender - they are all self governing POW camps.

So yes there will be war weariness and there will be a mounting casualty bill -in deed the UK forces are stretched thin now. So never having heard how this may be taken into account in the endgame I am interested in what you say.

However, given this game has got to a position that few have done my interest, and that of my stoical opponent, is to see how it finally plays out and learn from that. Recent land battles have suggested that the supply issue and lack of training is a major issue for the Japanese, also that there are few places on the HI that are fortified to a degree necessary to withstand the firepower we can throw at them.

We shall see.....

Roger

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 130
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Play up, play up and play the game.... Flashman returns Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI