Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

production

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> production Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
production - 12/25/2019 5:42:22 PM   
lion_of_judah

I continue to see people talking about production. How is production simulated in TOAWIV, is it done by making events? Thanks

< Message edited by lion_of_judah -- 12/25/2019 5:44:23 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: production - 12/25/2019 6:06:16 PM   
Lobster

In the latest Wishlist production elements are put under Strategic Warfare. I guess you might be able to do some sort of production in the current build. Maybe something like was done in War in Europe by SPI. You know, production tracks, replacement points and things of that ilk.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to lion_of_judah)
Post #: 2
RE: production - 12/25/2019 6:34:30 PM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

In the latest Wishlist production elements are put under Strategic Warfare. I guess you might be able to do some sort of production in the current build. Maybe something like was done in War in Europe by SPI. You know, production tracks, replacement points and things of that ilk.

One of the high level Eastern Front scenarios (Eastern Front 1941-1945 v.3.6) has something like that:

quote:

2.7 Production, Replacements and the Disband Units’ System. To check the number of
available replacements for a given unit type, click ‘View’ and then ‘Inventory and
Replacements’ (16.11 in the manual). For a campaign of this size ands scope it is vital
that the scenario adopts correct replacement rates. The scenario models in great detail
the replacement rate per turn for each weapon and infantry type as provided by the
historical sources. While Rifle Squad replacements peaked for each side in 41-42 and
decreased later on in the war, the production of heavy guns and tanks followed an
opposite trend as the industrial output of the Axis and the Soviet Union peaked in 1944.
Lend-Lease was a major source of trucks, tanks and planes for the Red Army. This
complex process is accurately modeled by combining 1) the scenario’s varying
replacement rate and 2) numerous 'disband unit' events that directly dump equipment
into the replacement pool. Most of the ‘disband unit’ events happen automatically and
are transparent to the player. This allows the scenario to have a unique production rate
for *every* equipment entry based on historical sources. In a few cases Red Army and Axis
replacement units arrive on map and need to be disbanded by hand- look for units with a
brown background.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 3
RE: production - 12/26/2019 8:04:20 AM   
governato

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

One of the high level Eastern Front scenarios (Eastern Front 1941-1945 v.3.6) has something like that:

quote:

2.7 Production, Replacements and the Disband Units’ System. To check the number of
available replacements for a given unit type, click ‘View’ and then ‘Inventory and
Replacements’ (16.11 in the manual). For a campaign of this size ands scope it is vital
that the scenario adopts correct replacement rates. The scenario models in great detail
the replacement rate per turn for each weapon and infantry type as provided by the
historical sources. While Rifle Squad replacements peaked for each side in 41-42 and
decreased later on in the war, the production of heavy guns and tanks followed an
opposite trend as the industrial output of the Axis and the Soviet Union peaked in 1944.
Lend-Lease was a major source of trucks, tanks and planes for the Red Army. This
complex process is accurately modeled by combining 1) the scenario’s varying
replacement rate and 2) numerous 'disband unit' events that directly dump equipment
into the replacement pool. Most of the ‘disband unit’ events happen automatically and
are transparent to the player. This allows the scenario to have a unique production rate
for *every* equipment entry based on historical sources. In a few cases Red Army and Axis
replacement units arrive on map and need to be disbanded by hand- look for units with a
brown background.

Hello y'all, designer of EF 41-45 here :), with a little more detail on the process: when designing the scenario ( 200+ turns) I had to model the fact that production of weapons and manpower recruitment was not constant over the war....

This was VERY important to model Russian infantry conscription cycles, which peaked in Spring and Fall and for German tanks (lots of them arrived in Spring 42) So, together with the usual reinforcement feature in the editor (say 100 squads/week from turn 20 to 100) that is constant with time, there are units that never arrive on the map and are automatically disbanded through an event. Their equipment gets automatically dumped into the reinforcement pool and then used as replacements. It works very well and it is completely transparent for the user. In EF there are also some strategic production choices (say more tanks, less artillery, for the red army, less heavy tanks and more medium ones for the Germans) which are modeled in a similar fashion through user activated events.

One footnote: In the scenario design one just needs to adjust the Victory Points count as disbanded units count as losses. This was not very important in EF41-45 as victory is largely assigned by ownership of cities, not by losses.

I am working on a new version of the scenario, likely for late spring 2020, when I will post it on the forum with some design info.

< Message edited by governato -- 12/26/2019 8:08:17 AM >

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> production Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI