Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/24/2019 11:39:37 AM   
nukkxx5058

Hello,

I decided to try for the first time a JTS game. I'm interested in Napoleonics and as it seems there are multiple titles, I would appreciate some help to decide which one to purchase.

- Napoleonic battles.
- I would prefer the best engine (tha latest ?) in case there are several versions of the engine.
- I'm not afraid of comlexity
- I would preferably play as French (yes, I am)
- I would prefer battles that Napoleon historically lost to try to outsmart l'Empereur. Waterloo?

I'm also open to all suggestions, including other muskets time suggestions like American Civil War and other historical conflicts for a secondary purchase if I like the first one.

Comments and suggestions welcome !
Thank you and Merry Christmas ! :-)
Post #: 1
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/24/2019 12:56:02 PM   
nukkxx5058

This is crazy, there are so many titles ..
my preference so far goes to (not necessarily in the preference order):
- Waterloo
- Leipzig
- Napo's Peninsular war
- Russia

But also musket times are also very tempting
- Renaissance
- 7 years war.

And I'm also very curious about "Modern Air Power"

I wish I had enough money ...

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/NapoleonicBattles.html

(hope it's OK to post about this here, not sure if JTS is part of Slitherine's portfolio ...) In case, Admin let me know and I will delete my messages.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 2
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/24/2019 12:58:46 PM   
Zorch

IMHO, there is not much difference among the titles. You can get more info at http://johntillersoftware.com/NapoleonicBattles.html

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 3
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/24/2019 1:00:55 PM   
Simulacra53

Check TheBlitz.org
There is something you might enjoy.

Also Renaissance is a lower priced item, can be a cheap way to see if these titles are to your liking.
Personally I prefer the PZB, FWWC, PzC and MC titles.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 4
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/24/2019 1:38:21 PM   
nukkxx5058

Thanks guys !
What about the engine ? Are all those games based on the engine or more recent titles would be using a more modern/elaborate engine ?

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 5
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/24/2019 1:39:44 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simulacra53

Check TheBlitz.org
There is something you might enjoy.

Thanks, definitely of interest !!

< Message edited by nukkxx5058 -- 12/24/2019 1:40:02 PM >

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 6
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/24/2019 2:23:44 PM   
Blond_Knight

I think they have a short Waterloo demo Link.

I got Bonapartes Peninsula war because it has smaller battles.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 7
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/24/2019 2:25:44 PM   
Blond_Knight

This page intentionally left blank.

< Message edited by Blond_Knight -- 12/24/2019 2:26:17 PM >

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 8
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/24/2019 2:30:23 PM   
TheGrayMouser

Your best bet is to pick the one that grabs your interest most. For the Napoleonic games, the latest one does have a nice new feature, but nothing so crucial that makes the others obsolete. Also the older games are eventually updated with the newer games bells and whistles.

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 9
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/24/2019 5:53:28 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGrayMouser
Your best bet is to pick the one that grabs your interest most. For the Napoleonic games, the latest one does have a nice new feature, but nothing so crucial that makes the others obsolete. Also the older games are eventually updated with the newer games bells and whistles.

Thanks, great answer, very helpful !

(in reply to TheGrayMouser)
Post #: 10
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/24/2019 11:43:15 PM   
rommel222

Greetings nukkxx5058,
I have the entire Napoleonic series and enjoy them all. JTS continues to provide FREE updates to the latest release.
There are excellent spotlights at the Scenario Design Center website for 11 of the Napoleonic titles:
http://hist-sdc.com/spotlights/index.htm (check the Designer notes there)

I find Leipzig excellent due to the number of scenarios and the nature of the Battle of Nations.
https://www.wargamer.com/reviews/napoleonic-battles-campaign-leipzig/

For the Napoleonic version of the Eastern Front, I recommend Napoleon's Russian Campaign.
The sheer scope and immensity of the summer, fall & winter battles is great. General Winter is devastating during retreat:
http://hist-sdc.com/spotlights/nb_nrc.htm

For Napoleon's Spanish Ulcer I recommend Bonaparte's Peninsular War. The battles and troop numbers are small to medium and include Spanish guerrillas.
http://hist-sdc.com/spotlights/nb_bpw.htm

https://www.wargamer.com/reviews/review-bonapartes-peninsular-war/

JTS also just released the follow up title Wellington's Peninsular War.

The Campaign 1814 is cool since it covers Napoleon's Six Days of Glory in rushing back and forth defeating Prussians & Russians.
Battles and force sizes are small to medium.

As mentioned in earlier posts, pick a battle you are interested in and go from there.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 11
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/25/2019 6:32:46 AM   
nukkxx5058

Thanks Rommel222 !
Good to read advices from a veteran player.
I will certainly pick Leipzig sooner or later and I wasnt sure about Russia but your comment sold it to me.
I already took Waterloo yesterday (as I find the battle particularly interesting and it was the rerason why I started to look at JTS games).
And I also will pick the Spain campaign, sooner or later.

Good to see there are so many titles, but will a life be enough to play them all? especially given the fact that I'm now past half way ... ;-)

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 12
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/25/2019 10:48:58 AM   
nukkxx5058

Just a question: where is the official JTS forum ? I can't find any forum on their web site.
I'm always a bit reluctant to post here if JTS is a separate company from Slitherine/Matrix.
Because yes, I already have lots of questions ;-)

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 13
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/25/2019 12:59:02 PM   
loki100

its sort of scattered around - there is some stuff on grogheads.

but generally I think that matrix are relatively tolerant of JTS discussions here, they must know that there is both a substantial cross over of player base and that there is little direct competition.

You mentioned above about 7 Years War, I bought it a year or so back and not hugely impressed to be honest. Maybe due to playing vs the AI but I find the scenarios are often very slow and then the AI doesn't make a great job of deploying for battle. The scenarios were you start more or less in contact seem to be slightly better but overall I've enjoyed the pzr campaign series more than the musket era (despite a strong interest in grand tactial games set in the era)

edit: this might help you a bit: http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=11

< Message edited by loki100 -- 12/25/2019 1:05:41 PM >

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 14
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/25/2019 2:44:11 PM   
nukkxx5058

Thanks for the Seven Years War feedback, and for the link :-)

The only game I know and that is approaching these JTS games is Campaign Series Middle East. Very similar. Must be the same designer ?

As it seems there are many JTS "pros" here, where can I find the list of keyboard shortcuts ?
Is there a shortcut to switch from movement to fire mode ?

Thx

< Message edited by nukkxx5058 -- 12/25/2019 8:43:57 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 15
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/25/2019 4:11:14 PM   
TheGrayMouser

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx5058

Thanks for the Seven Years War feedback, and for the link :-)

The only game I know and that is approaching these JTS games is Campaign Series Middle East. Very similar. Must be the same designer ?

As it seems there are many JTS "pros" here, where can I find the list of keyboard shortcuts ?
Is the a shortcut to switch from movement to fire mode ?

Thx

7 Years war is a great game, but perhaps Loki personally doesn't enjoy the stately process of the height of linear warfare and prefers the more democratic chaos of Napoleonics :) It should be known that the 7 years game does not (currently) have 3d graphics in case that matters to you.

The Ai is not "great" in any of the tactical games, however if you play historically with your own troops, doent do things that would be unlikely or impossible in real like, they play out much better. A lot of good opportunity for solo play too if that interests you ( basically do to the quasi operational scale of many of the maps!!)

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 16
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/26/2019 12:59:37 PM   
76mm

The. Ampaign series was originally from tiller, but i understand that the current team is upgrading it, and doing a fine job.

JTS games have poor hotkey support, but that is easily remedied with a third party program lime autohotkeys—makes the games much more playable.

Post #: 17
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/26/2019 2:46:27 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

The. Ampaign series was originally from tiller, but i understand that the current team is upgrading it, and doing a fine job.

JTS games have poor hotkey support, but that is easily remedied with a third party program lime autohotkeys—makes the games much more playable.

quote:

autohotkeys

Yeah, I remember someone gave me an example of hotkeys modification for TOAoW made with Autohotkeys. It worked fine. Would be fantastic if I could create all hot keys I need for all main functions of the JTS games. I definitely should investigate it further ...

***edit***
I just found the key to switch from movement to fire mode: it's the Ctrl key :-) I'm a happy man :-)

< Message edited by nukkxx5058 -- 12/26/2019 3:05:28 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 18
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/26/2019 4:18:20 PM   
nukkxx5058

Stupid question: what's the difference between HPS and JTS ? Most games seem to be the same on both websites ...

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 19
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/26/2019 4:21:53 PM   
rma901

I need to look at JTS. I like the HPS games I have bought.

Could someone tell me what TBS means?

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 20
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/26/2019 5:06:02 PM   
nukkxx5058

"TBS" Could be Turn Based Strategy, as opposed to RTS, real time strategy.
No?

(in reply to rma901)
Post #: 21
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/26/2019 5:38:31 PM   
rommel222

Greetings nukkxx5058,
HPS is the original company John Tiller began to publish computer games after Talonsoft (Matrix version has these and on sale now).
http://www.johntillersoftware.com/About.html

JTS or John Tiller Software is his company after parting from HPS Simulations.
Only JTS games (Not HPS ones) are receiving updates and upgrades (all free). So only buy JTS versions.

Note you can convert (for free) any HPS versions to JTS ones by contacting JTS support:
http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Support.php

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 22
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/26/2019 6:37:43 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: rommel222

Greetings nukkxx5058,
HPS is the original company John Tiller began to publish computer games after Talonsoft (Matrix version has these and on sale now).
http://www.johntillersoftware.com/About.html

JTS or John Tiller Software is his company after parting from HPS Simulations.
Only JTS games (Not HPS ones) are receiving updates and upgrades (all free). So only buy JTS versions.

Note you can convert (for free) any HPS versions to JTS ones by contacting JTS support:
http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Support.php

Ah ok, thanks ! Very useful. The one I purchased (Waterloo) was from JTS website.

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 23
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/28/2019 10:17:23 AM   
rahamy

This page has a variety of sites which support the JTS games, where you can discuss things with others...but as noted above, there is no "official" JTS forum: http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Resources.php

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 24
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/29/2019 10:30:20 AM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: rahamy

This page has a variety of sites which support the JTS games, where you can discuss things with others...but as noted above, there is no "official" JTS forum: http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Resources.php

Thanks !!

Otherwise,as I mentioned, I bought Waterloo and oh man, what a game !! Love it ! It really feels like I'm on the battlefield. Can feel the stress and the pain. Brilliant game.

Seems the whole series will soon be on my hard drive!

(in reply to rahamy)
Post #: 25
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 12/30/2019 5:18:14 PM   
nukkxx5058

I can't resist and I think the second I will buy is Russian Campaigns.

This comment from rommel222 convinced me to get it !

quote:

For the Napoleonic version of the Eastern Front, I recommend Napoleon's Russian Campaign.
The sheer scope and immensity of the summer, fall & winter battles is great. General Winter is devastating during retreat:
http://hist-sdc.com/spotlights/nb_nrc.htm

The Waterloo game is definitely too cool. Can't wait to go to Moscow with La Grande Armée!

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 26
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 1/16/2020 4:39:24 PM   
nukkxx5058

As I noticed there are many JTS pros among Matrix' aficionados, I will ask my question here...

I'm refering to JTS Waterloo.

Are you guys using the division color in the view menu [ie one colour per division]?
I like the idea to keep my troops organised per division but I was wondering if it had any importance at all ?
What if counters from different divisions are mixed ?
What if the leader of division "A" is withing range of counters of division "B". Would troops from division "B" benefit from the proximity of a leader of another division?

Because otherwise, visually speaking, adding all these colors by division is nice but somehow creates visual chaos on the map and enemy units become a bit harder to spot.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 27
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 1/16/2020 6:10:30 PM   
TheGrayMouser

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx5058

As I noticed there are many JTS pros among Matrix' aficionados, I will ask my question here...

I'm refering to JTS Waterloo.

Are you guys using the division color in the view menu [ie one colour per division]?
I like the idea to keep my troops organised per division but I was wondering if it had any importance at all ?
What if counters from different divisions are mixed ?
What if the leader of division "A" is withing range of counters of division "B". Would troops from division "B" benefit from the proximity of a leader of another division?

Because otherwise, visually speaking, adding all these colors by division is nice but somehow creates visual chaos on the map and enemy units become a bit harder to spot.

Definitely read the manual for command and control, however in a nutshell, leaders pass down commands bonii only to sub leaders in their chain of command, the final sub leader( brigadier) passing to in range / in chain of command units for the purposes of recovering from disorder.

I agree the division colors is a little hard on the eyes, i only use it when I really screw thing up and need to reestablish some sense of order.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 28
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 1/16/2020 7:51:58 PM   
nukkxx5058

Thanks. I didn't find it very clear in the manual what the benefits of having a in-range commander exactly are ...
Will definitely give it a second read.

< Message edited by nukkxx5058 -- 1/16/2020 7:52:16 PM >

Post #: 29
RE: Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? - 1/17/2020 7:43:54 PM   
rahamy

I like to use the Highlight Organization function - this way if I select a Brigade leader all of his units are highlighted...if a Divisional Leader, everyone in the entire Division and so forth. It changes based on the unit selected and is, at least to me, more ascetically pleasing. ;-)

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Which John Tiller Napoleonic game should I buy ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI