Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suicidal bombardment bugs are game breaking

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Tech Support >> Suicidal bombardment bugs are game breaking Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suicidal bombardment bugs are game breaking - 12/22/2019 5:22:59 PM   
GiveWarAchance

Score: 0
This game is good but has a game breaking bug or extremely unrealistic aspect that turns me off.
Using battleships and bombers and carriers to bombard land units especially in towns is suicidal and useless.
It seems so weird that infantry in a town using small arms can shoot down bombers and sink battleships while the bombs and shells have zero effect on the infantry and the town. In real life, a battleship or bomber bombardment would reduce a town to rubble and craters causing terrible losses to anyone there while suffering no loss to the airplanes and battleships unless the infantry had boosted their AA which could cause small damage to planes but not to battleships way out at sea.

As for damaging battleships using small arms from several kilometers away fired from inside a town that is totally unrealistic and weird cause small arms are only effective out to a few hundred meters and a few weapons like 50 cal or sniper rifle can shoot to 2km distance but battleships are further out than 2km and they have a lot of armor which would easily deflect small arms fire that is able to come drifting in from over several kilometers away. Also shooting small arms from a town at warships out at sea should be difficult to position and aim into the air like artillery to get further range while receiving shells of 14" or larger into the buildings which should actually cause damage to the town and defenders. It seems really weird.
Post #: 1
RE: Suicidal bombardment bugs are game breaking - 12/23/2019 2:09:52 PM   
Hubert Cater

Score: 2
Hi GiveWarAChance,

When Strategic Bombers, or Battleships attack a coastal city, or port, the way this works in game is that the primary attack is against the city or port, i.e. even if there is a unit also located within the city or port. After that there is a smaller percentage chance that the defending unit may also take damage from the Strategic Bombing or Battleship attack, but again it is only a small percentage chance as they are not the primary target of a Strategic Bomber or Battleship in this case.

Any damage that a Strategic Bomber or Battleship incurs from such an attack comes from the city or port, due to the notion that coastal cities or ports have defenses that can damage you, and not from the unit, and thus it is not small arm fire that is inflicting the damage.

Hope this helps and clarifies it a little bit,
Hubert

(in reply to GiveWarAchance)
Post #: 2
RE: Suicidal bombardment bugs are game breaking - 12/24/2019 5:05:46 PM   
GiveWarAchance

Okay thanks for answer. So I guess shore bombardments should never be done cause the cost to repair damage to BBs can't be justified for at best a tiny reduction in a land unit's readiness and it also takes time to return to port, repair and then venture out again for the BBs that get beat up by the bombardment.

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 3
RE: Suicidal bombardment bugs are game breaking - 12/24/2019 10:38:09 PM   
GiveWarAchance

To be honest, I don't know anything about this topic regarding historical bombardment situations. I often wondered why capital ships did not bombard coastlines in both world wars so maybe there were coastal guns set up in coastal towns to defer enemy ships.

Post #: 4
RE: Suicidal bombardment bugs are game breaking - 12/28/2019 10:04:15 AM   
BillRunacre

Score: 2
It did happen on occasions but wasn't as effective as hoped, just think of the Pacific campaigns and the bombardment of Japanese positions, and then the resistance that was still encountered when US forces landed on places like Tarawa and Iwo Jima.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Tech Support >> Suicidal bombardment bugs are game breaking Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI