Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[ADDED] Electric Subs Surfacing and using radar

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [ADDED] Electric Subs Surfacing and using radar Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[ADDED] Electric Subs Surfacing and using radar - 12/22/2019 11:16:33 AM   
DWReese

I have been playing around with a bunch of scenarios involving electric subs.

If you stick with the scenario long enough, the computer's logic eventually has the electric sub surface to recharge its batteries. This is, of course, by necessity. But, while on the surface, the logic apparently has the sub turn on, AND LEAVE ON, its radars. The sub is immediately identified. And, because it stays on the surface for so long, it is almost always killed by anything remotely close to it.

It would be nice if s sub could intermittently use its radar, rather than constantly signal to everyone for hours where it is located.

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 7/3/2020 5:04:01 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Electric Subs Surfacing and using radar - 12/22/2019 12:36:51 PM   
dcpollay

For most scenarios, the parent default posture is set to "Radar Active." Scenario authors may change that for air and surface units, but I've found that they don't pay attention to subs since they are designed to be under water. This results in your situation. If you reset the posture to Radar Passive at the beginning of the scenario, this shouldn't be a problem.

I just ran into this recently when playing Tee Up. In 5000 square miles of ocean, I managed to drive my sub across the one shoal where the water is 2 meters deep. When the sub surfaced, they turned on their radars immediately. Nuclear subs, no less.

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 2
RE: Electric Subs Surfacing and using radar - 12/22/2019 1:43:21 PM   
BDukes

quote:

ORIGINAL: dcpollay

For most scenarios, the parent default posture is set to "Radar Active." Scenario authors may change that for air and surface units, but I've found that they don't pay attention to subs since they are designed to be under water. This results in your situation. If you reset the posture to Radar Passive at the beginning of the scenario, this shouldn't be a problem.

I just ran into this recently when playing Tee Up. In 5000 square miles of ocean, I managed to drive my sub across the one shoal where the water is 2 meters deep. When the sub surfaced, they turned on their radars immediately. Nuclear subs, no less.

Agree. Very easy fix. Maybe devs get into default EMCON state per unit type/mission or maybe not. Perhaps players can adjusts in meantime.

(in reply to dcpollay)
Post #: 3
RE: Electric Subs Surfacing and using radar - 12/22/2019 1:59:04 PM   
Gunner98

The real culprit it the patrol mission defaults which set radars to active.

A patrol mission is the best way of putting an AI SSK to good use but whenever you do that you need to manually go in and change the radar setting for the patrol mission to passive. Bit of a PITA which has caught me out several dozen times. An inexperienced scenario designer can easily overlook it.

Not sure it's an easy fix, the two missions usually used are ASW and Sea Control, and if you're setting surface ships or AC to those missions active radars make sense much of the time. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other...

B

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 4
RE: Electric Subs Surfacing and using radar - 12/22/2019 2:16:14 PM   
DWReese

Gunner,

I'm primarily interested in having the computer (AI) make the best choices for these subs, with no human intervention for that side. Certainly, surfacing and activating a beacon that says, "Come and get me," is probably not the best way to go undetected. <lol>

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 5
RE: Electric Subs Surfacing and using radar - 12/22/2019 2:26:30 PM   
Gunner98

Agree

Like I said this is a bit of a PITA, a default where subs are always passive no mater what except when the designer or the player wants that changed would be useful. Focusing the default on the platform and not the mission would be the key, if that is possible.

b

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 6
RE: Electric Subs Surfacing and using radar - 12/22/2019 8:24:07 PM   
Dimitris

Interesting suggestion. Moving to Tech Support so that we don't miss this.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 7
RE: Electric Subs Surfacing and using radar - 12/23/2019 11:59:34 AM   
guanotwozero

+1
It makes sense that different categories of vessels should behave in different ways even if they share a mission.

I might suggest that ship-based ASW helos default to radar off and dipping sonar on in Sea Control and ASW missions. Most commonly I try to keep my surface group stealthy on the surface (and rely on airborne AEW), but I still want to find lurking subs as they're a priority.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 8
RE: Electric Subs Surfacing and using radar - 4/18/2020 3:30:20 PM   
Dimitris

quote:

+1
It makes sense that different categories of vessels should behave in different ways even if they share a mission.

Day-1: Dev team adds special override for sub AI, to ignore "Radar EMCON: Active" when assigned to a patrol mission. The world rejoices.

Day-2: New post on tech support forum: "Hi, I created this patrol mission where I want my submarines to use their radars on surface or periscope depth because their sonars suck; but even though I set 'Radar EMCON Active' my subs are still not using them. Is this a known bug?"

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 7/2/2020 4:43:52 PM >

(in reply to guanotwozero)
Post #: 9
RE: Electric Subs Surfacing and using radar - 7/2/2020 11:12:57 PM   
Steve McClaire

Added for next update: If a sub is assigned to a mission with EMCON for radar set to active, and the sub's own EMCON doctrine for radar is passive, the sub will stay radar-passive and the player will be notified via message that the sub is ignoring the mission EMCON setting for radar. If you see this message and you want the sub(s) to go radar-active as part of the mission you have to manually set the sub(s) EMCON doctrine.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [ADDED] Electric Subs Surfacing and using radar Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI