Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: End

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> AAR >> RE: End Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: End - 2/4/2020 1:08:27 AM   
battlevonwar

Interesting end and not so "far" off a balanced game. I like the Western Allies Push it's just a little late with the poor Soviets living on borrowed time.

I think Axis all air East is pretty much standard. The riflecorps as speed bumps(to a point) may not be bad the Axis have to wear out some effectiveness and trucks on them. Weaker speed bump units might not be bad at all to force out some of the trucks and slow down the Axis if they actually work. Maybe Cavalry better? Maybe Mechs Better... I have ideas. Lots have been advocating Russian Air, maybe that could work if the Russians could hold on long enough.

Sure there are a lot of pathways to victory and a perfect build for the Russians of course they have a more narrow build than some cause you're really looking to defend territory. Lots of Heavy Armor Tanks/Mechs/Some junk units and lots of hope that the weather is bad. A perfectly timed Western Offensive I'm sure it's possible to defend them?

Interesting AAR! Italy falling in a closer game would of definitely been catastrophic right then and there and Spain.

I am still curious if the Axis are OP(I lost once with 'em and the game I got with Almeron doesn't look at all good for him now he was too short on junk land units and lost a good portion of his air force) He also exacted 300plus points of Axis casualties in France 100 air or so.

< Message edited by battlevonwar -- 2/4/2020 1:11:19 AM >

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 151
RE: End - 2/4/2020 2:11:20 AM   
MagicMissile

quote:

ORIGINAL: John B.

Thanks for the AAR. You should try again now that you're more familiar with the game.

Thank you I will. I have 4 more games ongoing and they do take a bit of time after the war in the east starts and US enters but I would like to start maybe one more game we will see .

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 152
RE: End - 2/4/2020 2:35:20 AM   
MagicMissile

quote:

ORIGINAL: battlevonwar

Interesting end and not so "far" off a balanced game. I like the Western Allies Push it's just a little late with the poor Soviets living on borrowed time.

I think Axis all air East is pretty much standard. The riflecorps as speed bumps(to a point) may not be bad the Axis have to wear out some effectiveness and trucks on them. Weaker speed bump units might not be bad at all to force out some of the trucks and slow down the Axis if they actually work. Maybe Cavalry better? Maybe Mechs Better... I have ideas. Lots have been advocating Russian Air, maybe that could work if the Russians could hold on long enough.

Sure there are a lot of pathways to victory and a perfect build for the Russians of course they have a more narrow build than some cause you're really looking to defend territory. Lots of Heavy Armor Tanks/Mechs/Some junk units and lots of hope that the weather is bad. A perfectly timed Western Offensive I'm sure it's possible to defend them?

Interesting AAR! Italy falling in a closer game would of definitely been catastrophic right then and there and Spain.

I am still curious if the Axis are OP(I lost once with 'em and the game I got with Almeron doesn't look at all good for him now he was too short on junk land units and lost a good portion of his air force) He also exacted 300plus points of Axis casualties in France 100 air or so.

I think I had a little value of the corps since the campaign started in bad weather but they die so easily think maybe cheap cav units might be better. And as I wrote somewhere just two less turns and things would have been bad but maybe surviveable it was the two last turns in September that were really bad.

I don´t know if the axis is OP (I certainly dont feel op in the other game but made so many mistakes there as well) but Germany has the first shot to "win" the game and with very good play they seem hard to stop. And until I see a Russia survive a 41 Barbarossa and get back to Berlin or at least close to it I will think Russia might be a bit too weak or the Axis and the western allies a bit too strong.

(in reply to battlevonwar)
Post #: 153
RE: End - 2/4/2020 8:30:45 AM   
tyronec

quote:

So clearly Tyrones idea of the early all in invasion is very powerful and how to stop it as the allies is the question.
And yes you do give up some in the Mediteraanean I was 2 years ahead of schedule but it is just not as important. I am now kind of thinking if Germany goes for such an all in sending for exeample 100% italian airforce east (something I think Mussolini would not have liked) and Garrison France with Yugoslav units then maybe western allies should be allowed units in Russia
I don´t know what else to do. I do think Russia will be hard pressed to resist. Or possibly lower oil a little so the axis can´t use his units all the time. I am having a bit of a oilcrunch in my game but it might be a bit too late. I don´t know if Tyrone had oil problems at any time in our game.

I was indeed very short of oil, '42 was a knife edge to capture some Soviet oil before Axis bottomed out. This was my first game playing through Barbarossa and would do some things differently next time.
Am not sure how the play balance sits, there are so many permutations in how the Soviets can be played and the recent boost to UK production maybe swings the game towards the Allies.
Would definitely not allow Allies into Russia, IMO that just destroys the whole game. By all means take out the Yugoslavs.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 154
RE: End - 2/4/2020 5:47:06 PM   
kennonlightfoot

I think for the Russian Front weather is the critical element. A few to many clear turns in 41 and it will be very difficult for the Russians to hold Moscow and keep the Germans from taking the Oil they badly need. A few to many snow and mud turns an the Axis will stall. I haven't played enough yet to have any real feel for how the Russians should balance out their production in 41/42. Should they concentrate on air, cavalry, infantry or armor. And, when they should switch with offense in mind.

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 155
RE: End - 2/4/2020 7:04:43 PM   
tyronec

quote:

I think for the Russian Front weather is the critical element. A few to many clear turns in 41 and it will be very difficult for the Russians to hold Moscow and keep the Germans from taking the Oil they badly need. A few to many snow and mud turns an the Axis will stall.

Will bear that in mind, you think it was weather luck that got me to take the oil.

(in reply to kennonlightfoot)
Post #: 156
RE: End - 2/4/2020 8:01:54 PM   
freeboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: kennonlightfoot

I think for the Russian Front weather is the critical element. A few to many clear turns in 41 and it will be very difficult for the Russians to hold Moscow and keep the Germans from taking the Oil they badly need. A few to many snow and mud turns an the Axis will stall. I haven't played enough yet to have any real feel for how the Russians should balance out their production in 41/42. Should they concentrate on air, cavalry, infantry or armor. And, when they should switch with offense in mind.

playing as axis I was dead stopped by weather.... 41 scenario, then swung south..
against a human the weather is the one big helper the reds have early to keep them in the war... that and allied aid from US and UK

(in reply to kennonlightfoot)
Post #: 157
RE: End - 2/5/2020 1:25:38 AM   
kennonlightfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: kennonlightfoot

playing as axis I was dead stopped by weather.... 41 scenario, then swung south..
against a human the weather is the one big helper the reds have early to keep them in the war... that and allied aid from US and UK

I haven't kept track of mud and snow turns to tell what is average. But I know I pray to the PC gods when its September and the Axis tanks are only three hexes from Moscow. Have the bad luck of 2-3 clear turns around Moscow area in Sep & Oct and they will be in Moscow.

Going for the oil seems like a late fall thing to do. Weather stays clear down there sometimes into Nov.
Whether you need to depends on how heavily you went into building Axis gas guzzling airplanes.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 158
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> AAR >> RE: End Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI