Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Vichy France

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Vichy France Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vichy France - 12/18/2019 12:52:53 AM   
Mandai

I am trying to create a mod with Vichy French units using those created under Scenario 39 War Option.

In War Option, all french units are under nationality 10-French and are on automatically the allied side. In the game, Chinese, Thai and Manchurian japanese puppets are categorized into IJA and IJN, there were no separate nationality for japanese puppet states. As such, I changed the nationality of french units under the French indochina into IJA and IJN. I also changed the nationality of french indochina leaders like Catroux (21592) and Decoux(21593) to IJA/IJN and with a japanese rank.

When I test run the mode, the vichy french units are there, but the leaders are randomly assigned other japanese leaders instead of vichy french leaders pointed by the units.

The mod can still be played, but I am just wondering if there are some hard coding that I missed.

Post #: 1
RE: Vichy France - 12/18/2019 1:48:13 AM   
PaxMondo

I'm guessing that you assigned leaders did not match the units assigned to requirements. Meaning, their start date or type or rank or nationality did not match up with the units. Check this by going to one of the Vichy units and see if you can change to your desired leader. If you can, then somehow you leader pointer got scrambled. If you can't, you need to check the leader stats comparing against one of the leaders that you can see in game. You should see and obvious oops pretty quick.

Pax

(in reply to Mandai)
Post #: 2
RE: Vichy France - 1/25/2020 9:43:16 PM   
Ian R

You can crow-bar a leader with a different "size" rating into a smaller unit in the editor, but once changed, they cannot go back again. Examples are Admirals Mitscher & (Ted) Sherman, who arrive as carrier captains, despite being ranked as, and designated as, task force level commanders. You can also put Chesty Puller in charge of a marine division - split it in 3, make him the "A unit" commander and reform the division. So I don't think that would cause the exe to default to a random pick.

So it is more likely something like changing the Vichy leaders' arrival date, if the nationality and rank are setup right. Try 411206 - if they are assigned to a unit in the scen file they won't actually turn up then.

< Message edited by Ian R -- 1/25/2020 9:47:55 PM >

"You may find that having is not so nearly pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
- Cdr Spock

Ian R

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 3
RE: Vichy France - 1/26/2020 2:29:21 AM   
spence

So the Vichy French units fight the British/Commonwealth just like any Japanese puppet unit troops I would guess(?). But what about the Americans? In the European Theater they fought the American's landing at Casablanca for 3 days but then gave up and joined them to fight the Germans. Of course that was in Nov 1942 but then again the negotiations with Admiral Darlan may have gone better than in Europe so how do you propose to handle that?. The same Vichy French fought the Thais in 1940 and sank half their fleet. The Thais are assumed to be Japanese Allies (although I hear tell they sort of blew the same way as the wind was blowing pretty much throughout the war). And then the Japanese slaughtered the very same French in 1945 (Vichy was sort of gonzo by then). So do your Vichy French just kind of evaporate in 1945 or 1944 or if the Americans attack Saigon (first)?

Seems to me that the 3 divisions of Viet whatever troops that are added to the Japanese OOB are something of a bargain since by 1945 the Viet Minh were very definitely not pro-Japanese (nor pro-Chinese nor pro-British nor pro_French).

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 4
RE: Vichy France - 1/27/2020 10:39:54 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

Seems to me that the 3 divisions of Viet whatever troops that are added to the Japanese OOB are something of a bargain

I have never understood the rationale for those.

The OOS helped supply and train the Viet Minh.

"You may find that having is not so nearly pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
- Cdr Spock

Ian R

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 5
RE: Vichy France - 1/28/2020 10:57:36 AM   
Alfred

For 15 years, yes this goes all the way back to classical WITP, there has been utter nonsense posted about the s.8.8 of the manual units.  Often by the same people.

1.  The units covered by s.8.8 of the manual are not Viet Minh.  The manual makes it clear they aren't Viet Minh.  The "devs" have confirmed this.  Yet repeatedly they are misrepresented by posters as being Viet Minh and as such go on to criticise the game design decision as being illogical for Ho Chi Minh would never have assisted Japan to fight off Allied troops, particularly Americans.

2.  The s.8.8 units are Vichy controlled units.  They only appear if the trigger is pulled before 1 January 1943.  This corresponds closely with the period when the major Vichy aligned colonies, even though cut off from metropolitan France, maintained military forces which were no pushover for Allied invasions.

3.  Vichy aligned colonies had standing orders to resist any external attack upon their territory.  In 1941 Vichy Lebanon and Syria vigorously resisted the Allied invasion of their territory.  Those Australians who participated in the campaign testified that there was no mickey mouse fighting involved.  The same applied in 1942 when Madagascar was invaded by the Allies.  The response to "Torch" again was military resistance which was curtailed only because of a political collapse in the Vichy elite.

4.  Even when their "semi Ally" Japan moved into Indochina in 1940, the local Vichy controlled forces, even though much weaker than their Syrian/Madascagar/North African compadres and lacking air power, resisted.  To continue that resistance was rather pointless as the administration of Indochina remained in French hands after the ceasefire, unlike the subsequent Allied invasions elsewhere.

These exemplars all demonstrate that any external attack on Indochina would generate a military response.  More so if the attack came from China, a long term hostile power as far as the Vietnamese were concerned.  It is therefore very logical for the game design to include the s.8.8 units which are triggered only in the pre Vichy elite collapse era and the attack comes from China.  The only debateable point is how many units should be created.  With Japanese support one could argue that even more than the maximum hard coded limit of 4 divs might be feasible.  The total number is therefore a hypothetical exercise akin to the medieval debate on how many angels could fit on a needle.

Alfred

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 6
RE: Vichy France - 1/28/2020 6:54:30 PM   
el cid again

When I create other "nationalities" I put letters in front of each unit name.

Thus, RTN = Royal Thai Navy. I do the same thing in front of officer names.
Thus an RTN officer has RTN in front of his name. This makes it easier for
players to assign appropriate officers to the units.

When you create officers, sync their date with the date of appearance of their unit.
Similarly, if you create an officer is also a pilot (for an air unit), sync both
the officer name record and the pilot name record.

(in reply to Mandai)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Vichy France Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI