Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Beer and Pretzels Scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Beer and Pretzels Scenario Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Beer and Pretzels Scenario - 12/17/2019 10:42:09 PM   
rhinobones

Time to move on from endless TOAW problem analysis and move on to Beer and Pretzels, as in a short, fun scenario. Years ago, the Blitz hosted a design competition for small, short (10 move) scenarios with a selected few used in a tournament. The attached scenario was my entrant. If I recall correctly, Anonymous Heroics was also an entrant.

Playable against OwPI from either side in about 20 minutes. The basic thesis remains the same game to game, but the force composition, deployment, objectives and weather are varied randomly in a attempt to keep it interesting. Have a beer and enjoy.

The scenario briefing follows.

Regards, RhinoBones
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cheese Wars v02

Optimized for TOAW IV 4.1.0.40
Designer: RhinoBones@aol.com

::PBEM::
::OwPI Sides 1 & 2::

Complexity: 19 formations, 60 units
Date: October 6th, 1937
Map Scale: 2.5km per hex
Time Scale: Half-day turns
Unit Scale: Regiment HQ/Battalion maneuver units
Length: 10 Turns
Max Rounds Per Combat: 4
Points paying objectives: Divisional HQ (5 points), Depot (3 points), Ammo Factory (3 points) and Motor Pool (2 points)

1. Introduction
Cheese Wars was originally designed as an entrant to the Blitz's 10 turn "short scenario" challenge. It has been updated for play using TOAW IV. This scenario is designed specifically for solitaire play by an Earthling (playing as either Force 1 or 2) against the Opponent with Programmed Intelligence, aka OwPI. It is, however, fully functional for PBM matches.

2. Antagonists
Colby – Force 1, green icons, aggressor province
Provolone – Force 2, brown icons, defender province

3. Situation
Colby has deployed a reinforced division for a quick land grab in the neighboring province of Provolone. Unknown to Colby, Provolone has deployed an equal force to defend its territory. For obvious reasons, the resulting border skirmishes are forever known as Cheese Wars.

4. Initial Conditions
Both sides are armed with a division HQ, three infantry regiments, an armored regiment and a small tactical fighter/bomber component. Initial deployment is randomized.

5. Objectives
The numerical objectives placed on the sides of the map are used for computing loss penalties and are not designed to be unit objectives. The real objectives are the immobile division HQ, the two fixed objectives (two of six possible depots, motor pools and ammo factories) and a supply point. Destruction of the division HQ is worth the highest number of victory points; destruction of each fixed objective is worth a slightly lower number of victory points and destruction of the supply point eliminates the enemy source of supply. All objectives are randomized in their place of appearance.

6. Theater Options
There are four possible Theater Options, support the enemy 5th columnists (guerilla warfare), increase theater recon ability, conduct biological warfare (pestilence) and receive a one turn shock bonus. Each TO has a 75% chance of appearing. Use of a TO extracts a permanent loss of supply. Also, the 5th columnists, theater recon and biological warfare options are designed with a delay and range, therefore, it may take a few turns for the option to take effect.

7. Winning
Scoring a victory depends on solid game play and a bit of luck with the randomized placement of units, objectives and Theater Options. The equality of the opposing forces and short time span usually ensures a draw unless either force is able to destroy one or more objective. Extra points earned from destroying an objective should be enough to earn a minor; a major if both objectives are destroyed.

8. Miscellaneous
At the beginning of turn 2 supply points are deployed by events.
Weather is randomized for temperate to extremely cold conditions.
No units reconstitute.
Provolone (Force 2) receives a very small number of rifle replacements designed to balance casualties absorbed from the first turn. Otherwise, all replacements are received from the wounded and damaged equipment pools.

9. Games Against OwPI
All three Objective Tracks have been used in an effort to make OwPI a bit less predictable. But even with this, OwPI is a sucker for envelopment.

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil
Post #: 1
RE: Beer and Pretzels Scenario - 12/18/2019 3:27:48 AM   
Lobster

Thank you Sir rhinobones.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 2
RE: Beer and Pretzels Scenario - 12/18/2019 11:43:54 AM   
Shadrach

Thanks for the scenario, I've played a couple of turns, enjoying it!

By the way, noticing you're using my hacked tiles_misc file,that's nice

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 3
RE: Beer and Pretzels Scenario - 12/18/2019 2:36:08 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shadrach
Thanks for the scenario, I've played a couple of turns, enjoying it!
By the way, noticing you're using my hacked tiles_misc file,that's nice

It’s definitely for those times when you want a break from serious war gaming. Glad you’ve enjoyed the pretzels.

Your hack must be the new entrenchment and fortified tiles. Now I know who deserves the credit for this excellent work. Huge improvement over the stock tiles_misc.

For those who like to compile their own set of favorite graphics, I’ve added blown bridges and pre-NATO unit icons much like the Niehoster page.

Regards

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 4
RE: Beer and Pretzels Scenario - 12/18/2019 4:33:07 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Thank you Sir rhinobones.

Thank you. Sounds like you're ready for beer and pretzels.

Regards

Colin Wright:

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 5
RE: Beer and Pretzels Scenario - 12/18/2019 5:30:34 PM   
Shadrach

Yeah, I really like the look of entrenched hexes now

By the way I've done some minor changes to them since then, you can have a look and download from here (under MiscTiles):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wCkzDxfc2kaX0e3-mfIHrUUQWwqpeo2g

Basically just made them a little bit larger to fill out the hex more.
As well as better-looking and less obtrusive battle swords and nicer stack density icons. And some subtle shadows for weather icons. All stolen from Cabido's mod

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 6
RE: Beer and Pretzels Scenario - 12/18/2019 6:39:21 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

All stolen from Cabido's mod

Well if we're going to steal, we might as well steal the good stuff. Like the way you've collected and organized your site. Maybe I can contribute.

Regards

Colin Wright:

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 7
RE: Beer and Pretzels Scenario - 12/18/2019 9:04:09 PM   
Shadrach

quote:

Well if we're going to steal, we might as well steal the good stuff. Like the way you've collected and organized your site. Maybe I can contribute.

Yeah - Cabido made some really great stuff for his mod, he's a professional and it shows. I don't use the map mod but I've "borrowed" lots of small bits
The reason I have to organise like that is I use JSGME* and it kind of requires you to organise mods into separate sections like that for easy testing.

If you have some mods I could easily create a shareable Drive folder you can drop them into. Or maybe you have something similar?

* https://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Miscellaneous/Generic-Mod-Enabler.shtml

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 8
RE: Beer and Pretzels Scenario - 12/18/2019 9:29:23 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

If you have some mods I could easily create a shareable Drive folder you can drop them into. Or maybe you have something similar?

No, I don’t have any of that fancy stuff. Usually I just zip things up and e-mail.

I have two mods. One is a set of what I call pre-NATO unit icons. The second is a set of blown rails and bridges. You’re welcome to them as public domain mods.

Regards

Colin Wright:

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 9
RE: Beer and Pretzels Scenario - 12/18/2019 9:38:26 PM   
Shadrach

quote:

One is a set of what I call pre-NATO unit icons.

Are these the ones included in the zip for Cheese Wars? I don't see much difference apart from a couple that seem "toggled"?
I'll admit I don't know much about anything but NATO symbols

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 10
RE: Beer and Pretzels Scenario - 12/18/2019 10:50:30 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

Are these the ones included in the zip for Cheese Wars? I don't see much difference apart from a couple that seem "toggled"?

Yes, they were included with Cheese Wars. They are meant to mimic symbols used on older military maps, the Niehorster site and the v4v games. Those are what I grew up with and prefer for pre-Korean War scenarios. The anti-aircraft and anti-tank units are the obvious changes. There are also a number of more subtle changes:

1. Heavy and light mortar units revised
2. Heavy artillery revised from square to circle
3. Supply Depot fix
4. Heavy anti-aircraft added
5. Gun symbols enhanced from a dot to a more defined circle

Regards

Colin Wright:

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Beer and Pretzels Scenario Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI