Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Glossar in the Manual

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Glossar in the Manual Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Glossar in the Manual - 12/13/2019 9:59:12 PM   
kosmoface

Hi there,

I actually read the Manual, but a Manual for a complex game like this... esepacially for a newbie... should help me getting into the groove. A good and comprehensible Glossar would be nice for later use... what is SEAD? TAS? (only examples).

What I get is maybe 10 acronyms the rest I have to search after. I think this is not the most complicated task to create a more comprehensive glossar for new customers.

Not everybody is well versed in this terminology.
Post #: 1
RE: Glossar in the Manual - 12/14/2019 11:36:12 AM   
thewood1

Assuming you mean a glossary, but its been said multiple times before about playing CMNAO/CMO...

1) There is a certain amount you have to do yourself. Its an incredibly complex game/simulation where the devs spend as much time as possible tweaking and adding new stuff. One of the sacrifices is that documentation is basic. It focuses on game mechanics mostly.

2) You have to have the ambition to go learn the most basic concepts of naval and air warfare yourself. Not knowing what SEAD is or how to find out sounds like a prerequisite to playing. Abbreviations can be googled about as fast as the can be looked up in a glossar.

CMO can be used to test a multitude of theories, tactics, strategies, etc., but you have to know a little something about the subject. CMO won't teach you the basic stuff like abbreviations or definitions of ships types, etc. That's stuff that is freely and easily available through google.

If you don't have the naval intellectual capacity to do some of the basic stuff on your own, you chose the wrong game. Also not sure why the question is in this part of the forum.

(in reply to kosmoface)
Post #: 2
RE: Glossar in the Manual - 12/14/2019 12:23:58 PM   
goodwoodrw

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Assuming you mean a glossary, but its been said multiple times before about playing CMNAO/CMO...

1) There is a certain amount you have to do yourself. Its an incredibly complex game/simulation where the devs spend as much time as possible tweaking and adding new stuff. One of the sacrifices is that documentation is basic. It focuses on game mechanics mostly.

2) You have to have the ambition to go learn the most basic concepts of naval and air warfare yourself. Not knowing what SEAD is or how to find out sounds like a prerequisite to playing. Abbreviations can be googled about as fast as the can be looked up in a glossar.

CMO can be used to test a multitude of theories, tactics, strategies, etc., but you have to know a little something about the subject. CMO won't teach you the basic stuff like abbreviations or definitions of ships types, etc. That's stuff that is freely and easily available through google.

If you don't have the naval intellectual capacity to do some of the basic stuff on your own, you chose the wrong game. Also not sure why the question is in this part of the forum.

I think your words a little harsh, yes this a complex game and I am still learning as well, and I have been fiddling with it since 2012. Your above comments may discourage some fence sitters buying it. Yes a glossary would nice to help people new to this genre, but as you point out there is an absolute bucket load of info on the net. You shouldn't discourage people from buying this game. You have a wealth knowledge and perhaps 1 or 2 links to assist the OP would be a much better approach.

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 3
RE: Glossar in the Manual - 12/14/2019 3:29:54 PM   
thewood1

Harsh or not, its the approach to be successful with the game. There are dozens of links in the New Player sections and in the pinned areas. As has been said before, Google and search are your friends.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 4
RE: Glossar in the Manual - 12/15/2019 1:43:51 PM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Harsh or not, its the approach to be successful with the game. There are dozens of links in the New Player sections and in the pinned areas. As has been said before, Google and search are your friends.

A glossary of terms in a pdf should not be beyond any games company. Yes it is available on the internet but not providing basic infornmation (like SEAD) will frustrate people eventually turning tham off. Most games companies produce something to help new players so why not this?

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 5
RE: Glossar in the Manual - 12/15/2019 10:58:08 PM   
magi

Kosmoface.......
they are all in one place in Wikipedia… A lot of stuff there ..... see… Government military anachronisms .....

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 6
RE: Glossar in the Manual - 12/19/2019 7:28:40 AM   
Parel803

Most likely:
SEAD Suppression of Enemy Air Defence
TAS Towed Array Sonar

with regards

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 7
RE: Glossar in the Manual - 12/19/2019 7:30:50 AM   
Parel803

Also lots to find in publication AAP-15
NATO GLOSSARY OF ABBREVIATIONS USED IN NATO DOCUMENTS AND PUBLICATIONS

with regards

(in reply to Parel803)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Glossar in the Manual Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI