Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Feature Request] Allow Steam players to get updates quickly thanks to the Steam BETA program

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Feature Request] Allow Steam players to get updates quickly thanks to the Steam BETA program Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Feature Request] Allow Steam players to get updates qu... - 12/9/2019 2:53:24 PM   
xan2622

Hi.

Players that own the game on Steam get updates but a few days after the patch has been made downloadable on the forum. I've been told that updates are delayed on Steam to make sure that the patch doesn't hide a bug or just to make sure the patch is stable. I respect that.

But it would be cool, for those who want, to let them download these updates on Steam as soon as they are available on the forum. To do that, I suggest to use the Steam BETA program:

To enable beta versions on Steam:
- click on your Steam Library
- right-click on the name of the game (on the left) then click on Properties...
- on the new window that appears, click on the fourth tab BETAS
- here, a code is needed to be part of the beta testers

Please, could you give a code to Steam players who want to get updates quickly?
Post #: 1
RE: [Feature Request] Allow Steam players to get update... - 12/9/2019 3:27:13 PM   
Surtur

Hi Xan,

This is something we are looking into. Though having said that, even Steam open betas going forward will go through some screening before going live. So we should be able to keep up better with the Matrix betas going forward, but we will not be able to match them easily.

- Surtur

- Slitherine Group Producer -
Twitter
Steam

(in reply to xan2622)
Post #: 2
RE: [Feature Request] Allow Steam players to get update... - 12/10/2019 7:50:46 AM   
xan2622

Thank you for considering this option.

(in reply to Surtur)
Post #: 3
RE: [Feature Request] Allow Steam players to get update... - 12/17/2019 3:19:40 PM   
kevinkins

Can the Open Betas be installed over a Steam installation? I swapped .exe files and that did not work. If it can be done, please provide a step by step or point us to a link that already explains the process. Going on memory, I think it can be done, but not 100% on that. Thanks.

Kevin

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to xan2622)
Post #: 4
RE: [Feature Request] Allow Steam players to get update... - 12/17/2019 10:20:33 PM   
Rory Noonan

Hey kevinkins,

The procedure for manually applying an update to a Steam installation is:

0. Optional but recommended. Rename your existing game executable to Command_old.exe - this will allow you to quickly roll back if you experience problems.
1. Download the update from the Matrix forums
2. Unzip the compressed archive (either .7z or .zip format) to your main game installation directory. The default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Command Modern Operations\. When prompted to overwrite, choose 'yes'.
3. Launch the game and verify that the update has been applied correctly by checking the version number in game.

If the update causes problems and switching back to the old .exe as described in 0 above does not work, you can use Steam to automatically restore your game files to default state for the current Steam version. Right click on the game in your Steam library and select Properties > Local Files > Verify integrity of game files... This will automatically restore your game to the current Steam release version.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 5
RE: [Feature Request] Allow Steam players to get update... - 12/17/2019 11:21:47 PM   
kevinkins

Thanks. This is helpful for me and a lot of others. I guess when Steam does it's update, you will actually move a bit backwards so we will need to keep and eye on our version numbers.

Kevin

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Feature Request] Allow Steam players to get updates quickly thanks to the Steam BETA program Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI