Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CMO vs Fleet Command and its aircraft textures

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> CMO vs Fleet Command and its aircraft textures Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CMO vs Fleet Command and its aircraft textures - 12/7/2019 8:48:07 AM   
fulcrum28

CMO is great game, but I wonder if it is possible to add to the TACVIEW at least low resolution textures in grey with national symbols for aircraft in a similar way it was implemented in Fleet Command Game. Of course it is very old software compare to CMO, but I dont see why TACVIEW is blue/pink only and old games such as Fleet Command offered a more visually appealing 3D models with color textures. Would it be possible to mode TACVIEW to add them?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2910/Fleet_Command/

Thank you in advance.

The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)
Post #: 1
RE: CMO vs Fleet Command and its aircraft textures - 12/7/2019 8:58:46 AM   
xan2622

I also hope that one day, TacView could feature better visuals (nice textures and shader effects).
I know that Tacview is just a flight analysis tool but pretty graphics will make it more appealing for CMO players.
For that to happen, I guess that Tacview needs a new 3D engine.

(in reply to fulcrum28)
Post #: 2
RE: CMO vs Fleet Command and its aircraft textures - 12/7/2019 9:02:09 AM   
fulcrum28

thanks for your reply, so you think that just adding a texture file for each aircraft would not change the blue tones to real patterns, right?

The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)

(in reply to xan2622)
Post #: 3
RE: CMO vs Fleet Command and its aircraft textures - 12/7/2019 9:09:44 AM   
goodwoodrw

Volume of platforms might be one reason there isn't any 3D images in CMO like the ones in FC. Thousands vs hundreds dedicated HD for one game nup

< Message edited by goodwoodrw -- 12/7/2019 9:10:53 AM >

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to fulcrum28)
Post #: 4
RE: CMO vs Fleet Command and its aircraft textures - 12/7/2019 10:00:30 AM   
fulcrum28

yes but usually it is a community work to add more #D models as well as textures etc...if the functionality exists..

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 5
RE: CMO vs Fleet Command and its aircraft textures - 12/7/2019 10:16:55 AM   
Rory Noonan

TacView is a third party application. TacView support was previously a Pro (read: governments spending rather large amounts of money on an analysis tool) feature that has been brought over to the commercial game after community requests for 3D visualisation.

TacView does not support textures. It's a tool for after action reporting that has been adapted to Command to give users what they asked for at a reasonable price point.

I agree it would be awesome to have textures for each game entity in Command represented in TacView. The reality is that this is just not practical. Firstly the database as it stands has over 100,000 distinct entities. To texture all of those entities would, at the superhuman speed of half an hour per entity, equate to 34.5 years of 8 hour days, without taking weekends off.

Even if we just added textures for new platforms, it would slow DB updates down immeasurably. Right now the biggest slow down is researching and verifying the characteristics of database entries to make sure we have an accurate sim. To source a 3d model and accurate textures for a brand new Chinese UAV or obscure Nigerian patrol boat would be an endless time sink with no real payoff.

In summary, if you want TacView to support textures you need to speak to the TacView developers. If they enable it we could possibly make generic skins but it would be a colossal effort (I have first hand knowledge here--I made the association list from scratch) and I somehow doubt it would be adequate for purists. The best tradeoff would to be to enable community contributors to make textures as a passion project, but again this is predicated on a third party developer making changes to their core product.

To boot, there are many aspects of C:MANO that were easily moddable (sound effects for example) that people would complain about but very few users made changes. At a certain point there are diminishing returns in making a game customisable versus refining and improving existing features and adding new ones.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 6
RE: CMO vs Fleet Command and its aircraft textures - 12/7/2019 11:22:45 AM   
xan2622

quote:

ORIGINAL: apache85

I agree it would be awesome to have textures for each game entity in Command represented in TacView. The reality is that this is just not practical. Firstly the database as it stands has over 100,000 distinct entities. To texture all of those entities would, at the superhuman speed of half an hour per entity, equate to 34.5 years of 8 hour days, without taking weekends off.

Of course, thinking about creating accurate 3D models and nice HD textures for 100,000 entities is not realistic.

I don't think that players who want aircraft textures (instead of the blue/red aircrafts in TacView), want all these 100,000 entities to be modelled and textured.
Yet, if TacView could feature (thanks to the community) 3D models and textures of aircrafts that we see in missions, it would be already great.

There are two files that list aircrafts and helicopters used in the game: Associations_DB3000.xls and Associations_CWDB.xls, there are also 320 obj files in the \TacView\Data\Meshes\ folder.
If one day, TacView get support for textures, this is where to start. It would still be a huge task, but with time and thanks to the community, it's doable (but of course not for these 100,000 entities, nor for every variant of aircrafts).

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 7
RE: CMO vs Fleet Command and its aircraft textures - 12/7/2019 11:46:14 AM   
Scar79

IMO, 3D-representation Tacview provides is the best one. It gives me a good 3D-picture of the current situation or disposition but doesn't ruin that C3I Simulator immersion, not lowering it to the level of the game-game.

(in reply to xan2622)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> CMO vs Fleet Command and its aircraft textures Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI