Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First time to play?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> First time to play? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First time to play? - 12/4/2019 9:28:58 AM   
demyansk

I have been reading the forums and would like to jump into a game but very small. Is Coral Sea the best one to start with? I still have to try to get those map mod working.
Post #: 1
RE: First time to play? - 12/4/2019 9:51:27 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: demyansk

I have been reading the forums and would like to jump into a game but very small. Is Coral Sea the best one to start with? I still have to try to get those map mod working.

The stock map is fine to learn on. No need for he extra maps to figure out how the game works. Might even be better not to add too much extra complexity.

Coral Sea is good, yes. You can play the AI but also change to Head to Head to see what's happening behind the scenes.

Good luck!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 2
RE: First time to play? - 12/4/2019 10:54:34 AM   
GetAssista

The implied progression is Coral Sea -> Guadalcanal -> 1000 miles -> anything
But there will still be a learning cliff to scale ;) and it never ends in fact, which is part of the appeal of this game

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3
RE: First time to play? - 12/4/2019 12:54:48 PM   
dr.hal

Coral Sea is a good start, as the battle is surprisingly balanced, much like a chess game. So there is more reliance on skill (of the game and of the qualities of your assets). For example, you get a good lesson on just how poor the US torpedo planes are in comparison to the Japanese ones. So enjoy doing this scenario a few times from both sides, it will be worth it. Welcome aboard.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 4
RE: First time to play? - 12/4/2019 3:33:32 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

The implied progression is Coral Sea -> Guadalcanal -> 1000 miles -> anything
But there will still be a learning cliff to scale ;) and it never ends in fact, which is part of the appeal of this game

+1

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 5
RE: First time to play? - 12/4/2019 9:57:27 PM   
John 3rd

Play BOTH sides. If you are a fledgling JFB or AFB, you need to see and feel the differences of Japan and the Allies. Have some fun.

Once you feel confident, throw out a challenge on the Opponents Wanted page and play a PBEM of the same scenarios. NOTHING matches playing a real person.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6
RE: First time to play? - 12/5/2019 9:33:03 AM   
demyansk

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I just need to figure out the basics with the buttons and what to do. I'll check some videos.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 7
RE: First time to play? - 12/5/2019 3:01:31 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I just need to figure out the basics with the buttons and what to do. I'll check some videos.

If you'd like, I can PBEM you in the Coral Sea scenario when you're think you're ready for it, demyansk. Send me a PM.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 8
RE: First time to play? - 12/5/2019 5:02:49 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

If you'd like, I can PBEM you in the Coral Sea scenario when you're think you're ready for it, demyansk. Send me a PM.

demyansk - I want to take out an insurance policy on you before you play CB. Don't ask why.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9
RE: First time to play? - 12/5/2019 7:04:22 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

quote:

demyansk - I want to take out an insurance policy on you before you play CB. Don't ask why.

D'oh.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 10
RE: First time to play? - 12/5/2019 7:20:32 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Guys-that 'rep' doesn't extend to small scenarios. Opponents for small scenarios are only subject to mild illness.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 11
RE: First time to play? - 12/5/2019 7:23:55 PM   
demyansk

ouch

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 12
RE: First time to play? - 12/5/2019 7:57:23 PM   
rustysi

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Guys-that 'rep' doesn't extend to small scenarios. Opponents for small scenarios are only subject to mild illness.

Oh, you think so huh? I was only considering asking for a game, and I wound up in hospital.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 13
RE: First time to play? - 12/5/2019 8:13:00 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, you think so huh? I was only considering asking for a game, and I wound up in hospital.

I thought that was just because, as a recent retiree, you were inherently old and decrepit? Or that you were trying to find some way-any way-to get out of the house once your wife discovered your WWII library?

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 14
RE: First time to play? - 12/5/2019 9:20:56 PM   
rustysi

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I thought that was just because, as a recent retiree, you were inherently old and decrepit? Or that you were trying to find some way-any way-to get out of the house once your wife discovered your WWII library?

Wife? What wife. Been divorced almost 16 years. How do you think I could spend so much time on this site and with this 'Time Vampire' of a game.

Hey, it came down to wife... or this game...

I went with the game.

Its less aggravation.

quote:

as a recent retiree, you were inherently old and decrepit?

Of course this is true.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> First time to play? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI