Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Historical Query: Air Recon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Historical Query: Air Recon Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Historical Query: Air Recon - 12/3/2019 9:05:47 PM   
MPHopcroft1

Watching the playthrough on YouTube (may their shells be blighted), I was struck by both sides' use of air reconnaissance in the very early stages of the game (August 1914). Is this historical? Did any of the participants have enough faith in the airplane to use it on such a large scale then, or did that evolve later when air warfare started to come out of its infancy?

which makes it ironic that I'm watching the Blue Max mod...

"Any asset that would cost you the war if lost is no longer an asset, but a liability." -- Me

"No plan survives the battlefield" -- old Army saw.
Post #: 1
RE: Historical Query: Air Recon - 12/3/2019 10:13:56 PM   
sol_invictus

quote:

ORIGINAL: MPHopcroft1

Watching the playthrough on YouTube (may their shells be blighted), I was struck by both sides' use of air reconnaissance in the very early stages of the game (August 1914). Is this historical? Did any of the participants have enough faith in the airplane to use it on such a large scale then, or did that evolve later when air warfare started to come out of its infancy?

which makes it ironic that I'm watching the Blue Max mod...

I guess both sides in the West need at least one air recon unit since these missions were conducted very early in the war. If memory serves it was a French air recon mission which discovered the gap in the German hook toward Paris that led to the Battle of the Marne. I guess in game terms it makes them more common than they were in the first few months.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to MPHopcroft1)
Post #: 2
RE: Historical Query: Air Recon - 12/3/2019 10:19:54 PM   
Simulacra53

One word, Tannenberg.

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 3
RE: Historical Query: Air Recon - 12/4/2019 12:36:42 AM   
Delaware

Historical question: I read that air units were used for artillery spotting. How did the plane communicate with the units?

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 4
RE: Historical Query: Air Recon - 12/4/2019 2:31:28 AM   
Mithrilotter

I believe that recon aircraft communicated with ground artillery with the use of signal flags. WWI Aircraft didn't carry radios.

(in reply to Delaware)
Post #: 5
RE: Historical Query: Air Recon - 12/4/2019 4:56:33 AM   
seydlitz22513

Military aircraft frequently used radiotelegraphy (Morse code) well into WWII, if not 'til the end. ... In World War 1 there were aircraft spark gap transmitters and the pilot could send messages in Morse code to receivers on the ground but he could not receive wireless (now called radio) signals.

(in reply to Mithrilotter)
Post #: 6
RE: Historical Query: Air Recon - 12/4/2019 12:36:03 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: seydlitz22513

Military aircraft frequently used radiotelegraphy (Morse code) well into WWII, if not 'til the end. ... In World War 1 there were aircraft spark gap transmitters and the pilot could send messages in Morse code to receivers on the ground but he could not receive wireless (now called radio) signals.

I believe the British used this when shelling the Konigsberg from monitors in 1914.

(in reply to seydlitz22513)
Post #: 7
RE: Historical Query: Air Recon - 12/5/2019 2:37:27 AM   
CSSS

Absolutely! The first modern use of air recon probably saved France. During the battles of the frontiers France had effectively lost four of her five field armies.
A French reconnaissance aircraft noticed the widening gap between western flank of the German marching through northern France. Thus so armed with such intelligence the Marne assaults were launched, with Historical results.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 8
RE: Historical Query: Air Recon - 12/6/2019 2:01:30 AM   
MPHopcroft1

I've been getting quite the history lesson here. I'm curious what made commanders make the mental leap from "From the air, we can see everything the enemy does" to "from the air, we can rain death on the enemy at will".

Just the fighter plane was a remarkable feat of engineering for the day -- growing ever faster, more maneuverable, and better armed. The synchronization gear that enabled firing machine guns through the propeller arc without hitting the props and shooting down you own plane must have been especially difficult to develop.

"Any asset that would cost you the war if lost is no longer an asset, but a liability." -- Me

"No plan survives the battlefield" -- old Army saw.

(in reply to CSSS)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Historical Query: Air Recon Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI