Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pushing the Envelope – Tips on Running Extremely Large Scenarios?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Pushing the Envelope – Tips on Running Extremely Large Scenarios? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pushing the Envelope – Tips on Running Extremely Large ... - 12/3/2019 2:27:31 AM   
zclark

Anyone have tips on what settings you find effective when running large scenarios in CMO to avoid encountering the

“Failed to perform Autosave! Error message: Exception of type ‘System.OutOfMemoryException’ was thrown"

or

“Failed to perform Autosave Error message: The writer is closed or in error state” messages?

Are there certain actions in a scenario that seem to drain system resources more than others?

Do you have a AU Count cap when designing scenarios?

< Message edited by zclark -- 12/3/2019 2:28:38 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Pushing the Envelope – Tips on Running Extremely La... - 12/3/2019 6:37:35 AM   
morphin

very large scenarios i turn autsave off

Also it is better to pause the scenario before saving it

It was the case on the CMANO and i think also on the new CMO

(in reply to zclark)
Post #: 2
RE: Pushing the Envelope – Tips on Running Extremely La... - 12/3/2019 12:16:56 PM   
thewood1

Its hard to put a unit cap on it because of the variability in modern scenarios. I have had 500 unit scenarios scream along until 200 Tomahawks are in the air and it starts to lag. The largest scenario I have played was 3000 units and it ran relatively well until a lot of missiles were in the air.

And frankly, the game interface has only recently gotten the upgrades to let you reasonably command 3000 units. That is mostly around the interactive message log

Also, its a lot of long range missiles, like Tomahawks, that can start to lag the system. Complex navigation zones can also wear on it as well. This is just my experience.

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 3
RE: Pushing the Envelope – Tips on Running Extremely La... - 12/4/2019 12:56:48 AM   
zclark

Have either of you used the Extra Memory Protection option? If so, have you noticed a difference? I've tried it and have not noticed a difference.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 4
RE: Pushing the Envelope – Tips on Running Extremely La... - 12/4/2019 1:18:46 AM   
thewood1

No difference. I always thought it was Win 7 and low end systems.

(in reply to zclark)
Post #: 5
RE: Pushing the Envelope – Tips on Running Extremely La... - 12/4/2019 3:14:38 AM   
kevinkins

Never thought autosave would stress the system so much. But with hindsight, in a huge scenario with missiles flying wild, I can see where it would. Millions of bits passing through the system. My procedure is to play in editor mode and just pause and do the famous "save as" and name the file uniquely and go back to that file at a later time. If software and hardware are stable, I am not sure a background saving process is actually needed. Whether with Word or Excel etc.. I never rely on autosaves. Been burned a few too many times. "save as" is your friend.

Kevin

< Message edited by kevinkins -- 12/4/2019 4:09:53 PM >

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 6
RE: Pushing the Envelope – Tips on Running Extremely La... - 12/4/2019 11:05:47 AM   
thewood1

I turned off autosave on day 1 back in 2013 and have never turned it back on except when I am trying to catch a bug. At the time, I had a spinning HD. But even with a fast SSD, it can slow the system. Same thing with recording.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 7
RE: Pushing the Envelope – Tips on Running Extremely La... - 12/4/2019 8:48:07 PM   
SeaQueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: zclark

Do you have a AU Count cap when designing scenarios?

No. I'd also suggest that being large in itself ought not to be the goal of a scenario designer. Instead I try to limit the scope of a scenario by focusing on what is necessary to perform a single specific operational task. There might be many things which might be necessary for completing that task. As an example, consider attack an airbase. I could imagine in an operational level commander (e.g. JFACC or AB in a CWC framework) receiving intelligence that air attack is pending. The commander seeks to blunt that attack by pre-empting it, and identifies an airbase containing the largest concentration of cruise missile carrying bombers in the theater. Striking that airbase is the entire scenario. That's the player's task.

An airbase can consist of hundreds of aimpoints, though! Which ones do you strike? That depends on the scenario. Since the goal is to blunt the attack the first obvious target is the bombers. That's my first scenario objective:

1) Destroy 90% of the bombers at airbase X.

The next best thing to destroying the bombers permanently is trapping them on the ground where they can't harm anything. There's two ways to do that. The first is destroying enough runway so that they can't take off. The second is depriving them of fuel. There's two more objectives.

2) Damage runway at airbase X to 55%.
3) Destroy AvGas storage at airbase X.

I need at least 12 aircraft just to carry the bombs to hit those targets without even considering the defenses. Then there might be another 4 ship SEAD element, and a 4 ship fighter sweep to go with them. Now I'm up to 24 aircraft! That's a whole USAF squadron (assuming none are broken!) just to penetrate the airspace. To support them I need tankers, ELINT and AWACS aircraft, so now I'm probably up to around 50 aircraft. Then those aircraft need to be protected so that's at least another squadron. That makes it around 75 aircraft. It turns out they also need some kind of penetration aid to help get past the long range strategic SAMs. There's a few ways to do that, but since I'm in an airplane kind of mood, I decide to use my own cruise missile carrying bombers and some ECM aircraft which also need some kind of protection as well. In total we're probably now up to around 100+ airplanes total just to strike one airbase.

It gets big fast. When you start considering the big picture about what it takes to do just one task, HUGE scenarios start to seem really unrealistic most of the time.

< Message edited by SeaQueen -- 12/5/2019 12:03:43 AM >

(in reply to zclark)
Post #: 8
RE: Pushing the Envelope – Tips on Running Extremely La... - 12/4/2019 10:58:19 PM   
zclark

All good feedback. Thanks everyone!

(in reply to SeaQueen)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Pushing the Envelope – Tips on Running Extremely Large Scenarios? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI