Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HQ attachment limits?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> HQ attachment limits? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HQ attachment limits? - 12/1/2019 10:44:02 AM   
adarbrauner

Hi to all,

I'm experiencing the impossibility to re attach units - whatever unit - to Southwestern Front;

this front is currently commanding units up to 149 command points, out of the limit of 72; I thought that was the reason why I could not attach to it other units (a bit strange),but the manual states there's no limit to the attachment of units to an HQ, even if overloaded...
Post #: 1
RE: HQ attachment limits? - 12/1/2019 1:31:32 PM   
Telemecus

There is an upper hard limit which I think came in with a patch? From memory I think it was double the normal command capacity.

I do not know it well as I never go near the number as generally that is a bad idea. So I suppose the question that comes to mind is why would you even want to so overload a front HQ as it make it practically useless for everybody in the same HQ?

Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 2
RE: HQ attachment limits? - 12/1/2019 1:45:22 PM   
adarbrauner

Because there's a point in 1941 when many and more corps HQ are disbanded, then you bring in reinforcements and more reinforcements to try stem the German tide, and until you can bring in sufficient army corps - and spend the relative ad. points, if required, it takes time...

(furthermore, I'm a beginner still, and now I understand the save game from a previous version was kept and passed over to be processed by the newer version with the hard limit...)

(Edit:) there is also a number of "fortified regions" you'd like to be attached to something not as far as the Stavka, and a great number of army HQs I count already 7 armies answering to this front)... this is the most powerful front, defending, o r trying to defend, Ukraine, with a massive afflux of reinforcements

< Message edited by adarbrauner -- 12/1/2019 2:14:38 PM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 3
RE: HQ attachment limits? - 12/1/2019 4:48:33 PM   
Telemecus

Well I would say the normal expectation is you assign Soviet units to armies - and armies to either a front or STAVKA. If you overload a front, then the units will have worse ratings than if you just assign the army HQ to STAVKA. So surely the optimum at least is to never overload a front, and if you have too many armies not to do that then assign the extra to STAVKA directly?

Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 4
RE: HQ attachment limits? - 12/1/2019 7:09:47 PM   
thedoctorking

Exactly, never overload any headquarters if you can possibly avoid it.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 5
RE: HQ attachment limits? - 12/2/2019 6:40:08 AM   
Chris21wen

What just been said.

Further, using the chain of command gives units more chances to pass any rolls. Attaching a unit directly to a Front or STAVKA means that HQ is the units immediate HQ (IHQ) and to get full benifit from their IHQ they must be within 5 hexes. So the first roll is alway die(10) no matter what type of HQ it is attached to. If the IHQ was itself attach to STAVKA then the next roll would be die(80). See page 115 new manual.

There are other benifits like commitment of support units in combat.

Basically always use the command structure and only overload HQs if you must but try to never overload the IHQ.

Note you can never overload STAVKA but if you want to diretly command combat units with STAVKA then it must be within 5 hex for full benifit.

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> HQ attachment limits? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI