Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO]

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 1/28/2020 6:23:29 PM   
Hellen_slith

@Axis #152

Here comes Elmer.
Looks like at least two, maybe three Shock Armies cutting right through the triangle.
And those are the units I can SEE (fog of war is on)

He's probably got at least two or three MORE armies following behind in there.

Smolensk is pretty well defended. Pskov can hold for a while.
Of those three cities, Riga is the weakest right now.

AGS? What's that??
LoL the Italians and Hungarians are virtual prisoners.
All retreat is cut off for them.

Maybe half of the Rumanian army remains around Sevastapol.
Maybe I can evacuate them by sea.

Kharkov and Kiev are virtually defenceless.
Most of AGS Germans has now also been either cut off or destroyed.
What a disaster! <shakes tiny fist at Elmer!>

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 31
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 1/28/2020 8:03:58 PM   
DD696

Been watching this closely. The Soviets are greatly overpowered. Steve ran 2 tests elmer vs elmer: 1st resulted in German defeat in 1942, 2nd resulted in German defeat in 1943.

I'm also playing this scenario, but doing a lot of tweaking in hopes of getting a better game out of it. Haven't got past about turn 60 as I have to start doing more tweaking and restarting. Can't seem to turn out turns nearly as fast as you can.

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

Post #: 32
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 1/28/2020 9:08:07 PM   
Hellen_slith

Well, I am retired so I have plenty of time ,,, I play this scene in between other scenes, while awaiting moves from IRL opponents (who are kicking my arse also!)

IMHO, "elmer v. elmer" tests might not give the best look at overall scenario. That may be good for testing, but Human v. PO is really the test for designer acumen. Of course PBEM human v. human is the ultimate test of designer acumen. The different nuances (b/w Human v. PO, and Human v. Human) are vastly different.

For me, in this play, I have been very impressed by the PO as Soviets all through the game, and especially so w/ his counter-offensives now. But I am just kibitzer level player ... an "expert" Human (as Germans) might have easily over run Elmer by now in this go. I should hope so (b/c in this play, I have not ventured into "master" TOAW strategies / tactics). Generally, I just push the chits around and hope for the best, without going into too much of more underlying things that experts go for.

In this regard, it has been a very informative scenario to begin to learn those underlying things, such as (e.g.) where are my best tanks? Which battles must I forgo (b/c of weather, e.g.) Which airfields should I target? Which battles should I support w/ air?

I am (I hope) a rather good player at defense, so Elmer's PO "berzerKer" advance is welcome to see, to see if I can delay / hold and find some way to take back the initiative from him. Right now, at this point (Turn 152?) that is the only strategy I have, so it will be interesting to see if Elmer can take full advantage of his current initiative.

Compare, though, what a Human Player might do in this situation? I think that I would be pretty much ready to surrender in that case. But, b/c Elmer is "hindered" by not having skin (that is, he is not a "fleshy" opponent) then I continue to hope that I might find a way to turn the tables.

Your mileage may vary!

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 1/28/2020 9:12:12 PM >

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 33
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 1/29/2020 8:29:22 AM   
sPzAbt653

After Barbarossa, the Axis side never has enough units to hold a line, so the CvC test runs were only to see how bad it actually was [didn't want to release a stinker].

On the other side, what I see in this AAR is the Axis Player overextended and ran most of his units into the red, leaving them very susceptible to a Soviet counter attack. It happened historically, I've done it myself and I'm sure a lot of other players have also. But really, an experienced Axis Player will have no trouble with Elmer.

Post #: 34
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 1/29/2020 8:40:02 PM   
Hellen_slith

Thanks for your replies, they help to salve a bit of the pain Elmer is inflicting upon me now. I tried very hard from the first to not overextend the German lines, but over time Elmer (by his sneaky, sly, saving up of his units apparently) made me overly confident ... and so now I pay the price for that overconfidence.

One thing I did notice during around turn 140 or so, a German SS unit showed up unexpectedly in Orel ... a unit that (historically) was noted for their brutality.

Nice to see that little slice of history show up. Well done design in that regard.

Okay, well, now I will try to salvage what I can in "the triangle" of Riga / Pskov / Smolensk. AGN is still holding Narva, so we'll see what the Germans can devise in future. Currently Goering's Flieger ground units are starting to dig fortifications around Berlin. I'm going to make Elmer pay as much as I can for his belligerence and stick it out to the bitter end. Great scenario btw, loving it immensely and will definitely be playing it again!

Have a great gaming day!

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 35
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 2/2/2020 10:13:58 PM   
Hellen_slith

near end of Axis 156 (Dec. 16, 1942):

a look at AGN. Elmer has retaken Narva,
but looking pretty solid there around Lake Peipus.

Seeing more SS units showing up, nice historical touch there,
the 15 Lettische was Latvian

In south, a Slavic SS unit (14th?) has also shown to "help" around Kharkov.

I put the "SS" markers to show where SS Polizei is now
(and also labeled Lake Peipus), those grafx are not from game but paint shop.

Some replacements are starting to show up now, too, for rest of Wehrmacht,
so maybe I can regroup and stab at Elmer again come Spring '43.

He seems to have slowed his roll a bit, maybe resupplying / rearming,
or having to deal w/ all those prisoners he's got now LoL!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 36
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 2/3/2020 2:05:21 PM   
Hellen_slith

@Axis turn 160 (dec. 30, 1942)

The Russians have crossed the ice of Leka Peipus,
and now are moving to encircle Pskov.

Riga is practically defenseless.
Smolenks holds, but not for too much longer.
Same w/ Kharkov.

The Germans are practically destroyed...
Probably down to less than 1MM soldiers overall,
and of course the Soviets have much more. Just a matter of time now.

All the little possession flags in this screenshot is the main rail lines
(or what is left of it) LoL

Apparently, the Italians etc. down near Stalino
have simply been left to freeze to death / starve.

Elmer has just bypassed them, in favor of bigger fish, I guess.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 37
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 2/4/2020 11:45:51 PM   
Hellen_slith

@Axis turn 165 Jan. 17, 1943

AGS @ Stalino / Voroshilovgrad: somehow, the minors have retaken both Stalino and Vgrad after Elmer rushed his Soviets past these cities, apparently in a mad dash to Kharkov; also somehow, these minor forces have NOT been designated “overextended” (yet) and are maintaining a supply level of 2%. Elmer has returned, though, and is now in process of retaking Stalino. Some of the remnants of AGS are making their way to this area.

in other areas:
AGN: two divisions of Germans that were in Finland made their way to port, and (via sea) have repositioned themselves east of RIga. Pskov has been abandoned, and those five or four divisions are battling their way back to RIga.

A few Soviet recon tankers have crossed the Niemann River, and I think that must have triggered activation of six Volks-Grenadier infantry divisions in areas around Berlin.

There are six more Volks-Grenadiers in reserve, waiting for an unknown event to occur before activation.

AGC: Smolensk ist kaput. Those units will just have to resign themselves to a holding action as long as possible there.
Bryansk forces have been fighting there way west, but are nearly cut off and may find refuge in Pripet Marsh.

Kiev: evacuating, pulling what I can back to Warsaw. Kharkov: holds, w/ four divisions there, but they are cut off, too.

Sevastapol: evacuating by sea to Odessa. Have pulled two Rumanian divisions and one German division out from there,
about three more Rumanians divisions remain there, awaiting evacuation.

As stands now, Germans are gearing for defense of the Reich. Will have to step up my game to hold as long as possible, mostly I have
just noodled around in this game, but Elmer has really put up a great game at plus 2 intel and "strong" as settings for him. As kibitzer, very impressed by his PO in this one.

With any luck, maybe I can hold out until '44 ...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 2/5/2020 3:24:51 PM >

Post #: 38
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 2/10/2020 8:57:47 PM   
Hellen_slith

@Axis turn 174 (February 17th, 1943)

Soviet Black Sea fleet has closed off Sevastapol,
about 1/2 a Rumanian division is stuck there now,
I got the rest out (about five divisions)

Kharkov holds. Stalino and Voroshilovgrad hold.
Smolensk holds. Riga ... still fighting in suburbs.
Elmer gives them only token attention now,
he seems pretty focused on Berlin now.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 39
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 2/14/2020 5:33:27 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: tyronec

quote:

The last ten or so moves, w/ no supply to speak of,
I spent the turns mostly trying out rail repair.

I found that stacking lots of RR embarked units
(five or six to a stack, next to broken rail)
nearly always repaired nearby broken hexes.

A stack of four, three, or two seemed to have
increasingly less chance to repair.

I didn't try stacking un-embarked RR repair units,
will try that next.

I can't fathom out quite how this works either.
It does seem that repair works less well during the early moves of the game, one possible explanation is that uncaptured rail hexes slow down the conversions in some way. Maybe the engine tries to repair those hexes and those attempts get wasted.

I think I have finally figured out how the RR repair works for the Germans,
looking back on the game, and reading more notes about it...could be wrong, but,....

RR repair is muchly "automated" and there are (iirc) a maximum of 12 hexes repaired per turn....
and "stacking" repair units (along w/ nearby supply points) will "optimize" repair in that area.

So, at beginning of game, when there are many rail to be repaired all over the map for Germans,
repair will occur more toward the rear areas ... no matter how many repair units you stack at front.

As result, as game progresses, you will see the rail lines being built from "back to front" ...
and, as result of THAT, eventually you will see "forward" repair being done.

I hope this makes sense. At least, that is the sense I am getting from it now, looking back.
For me, I like the way it was handled, and had I known more about the mechanism at first,
I would have handled my German and Rumanian RR engineers differently.

I get sense that German RR / supply is almost a "game within a game", and can be frustrating to the German side during the first year or so (game time), as it should be.

Now that it s pretty much a moot point for the Germans,
I focus on disrupting SOVIET rail w/ remnants still in Russia.

Well, back to the game: I managed to turn about seven moves for the Germans over the last few days.
Now I am focused on defense of the Reich from the Soviet Colossus. Am now at turn 183 or so.

Kharkov holds, w/ about four divisions there holding the burnt-out remains of that city and supplied by air I guess.
Smolensk has been abandoned, the but three divisions that were there are now fighting their way back toward Minsk.
Pskov units abandoned that area and have fought their way back to Riga, and Riga holds.

The German Homeland Defense Front is holding at the Polish border, and SS and other infantry are building reinforcements in Berlin.
Maybe I can make another offensive stab at Elmer when the weather lifts, but Berlin is safe for now.

But Elmer PO has the initiative and is trying to cross at River Bug.
To my benefit, many German HQ units have been evac'd by air from Kharkov / Smolens and are in process of refit to front line defense.

Going to be an interesting game to hold the Reich as long as I can. For Der Fuerher!! For the Reich!!!
Here's a look at Kharkov @Axis 182 PS: the arrow pointing to air briefing,
many times this "sidebar" of air briefing is not accurate, you have to look at "air briefing" from drop-down menu to get an accurate read from that .... seems to be a "glitch" in IV ....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 2/14/2020 7:53:38 PM >

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 40
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 2/14/2020 8:08:42 PM   
Hellen_slith

Here is a look at the German Front,
note the Hungarian AF gained 100% proficiency ....
Hitler has assigned those 100% AF to Berlin ....
is handing out medals to them, courting them as last resort units.
Is not often you see units w/ that kind of proficiency ....

Attachment (1)

Post #: 41
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 2/17/2020 7:58:09 PM   
Hellen_slith

@Axis 187, Budapest falls ... Hungary surrenders.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 42
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 2/19/2020 1:38:08 PM   
Hellen_slith

There were about 7-8 turns of storms /
cease - fire / limited movement from turns
190 through about 197, which were easy to cycle quickly,
and now Elmer and I have reached T200.

What a butt buster! So, at the nearly halfway point,
taking stock again. This last move Elmer took 30 minutes on his move.

Riga: Elmer makes a few pokes at Riga once in a while,
but seemingly only half-heartedly.
I think Riga will hold for a long time.

At least until Elmer gets another hair in his bonnet:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 43
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 2/24/2020 11:04:09 PM   
Hellen_slith

@Axis turn #208 (June 16, 1943)

Riga holds. Kharkov holds. Smolensk holds.

But ... Russians are making their way toward Berlin
from the south.

Elmer has re-conquered the Southern "Allies",
Hungary, Rumania, Slovakia ... all are in Russian hand now.

The few German "reinforcements" are merely remnants,
from Italy. The rail is cut there though ...
they have to march back to Berlin, if they can.

Things are looking very grim for Hitler.
Seen chewing carpets in apoplectic fits.

The end is nigh for the Reich.
Will OKH put an end now to Hitler's fits, and sue for peace?
Perhaps so. Is but a matter of time.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 44
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 2/24/2020 11:28:09 PM   
Hellen_slith

I have chosen to end the scenario here at turn 208, for a couple reasons:

1) Axis has no chance, Elmer will keep pinging away at me until I have no forces left (that last move 207 Elmer started initiating airfield attacks and artillery bombards, much to my surprise ... that was a new one I had not yet seen from the PO, he did over 100+ attacks that last turn (as compared to only 40 or 50 prior), which signalled another "berzerker" mode for him,

2) the last 20 or so turns for me was just repulsing where I could his forces. That was getting old, just to see what he would do next turn,

3) the lines at Nemann River had folded, and the southern "allies" had also folded

In short only a matter of time before Elmer took Berlin.

That, and it was taking an hour+ to cycle through my moves (30 minutes me plus 30 minutes for Elmer), time better spent on my new "encyclopedia" project, and time better spent on other scenes w/ fleshy opponents. So, I would have stuck this one out to turn 400, but for a lot of other scenes left to finish / play. Just not enough time for this one.

But, I thought this scene is very fun and challenging (I set Elmer to "strong" intel and "+2" cheat mode) and he was very tough, esp. at the end. I never once "cheated" on my end by peeking at Elmer. Kudos to designer, best PO I have played. I like this scene better than D21, I would also like to take on German as Elmer, but for now ... going to focus more on encyclopedia project.

Anyway, will answer any questions about my effort if posed, but now is done and will focus on WWI scene and other stuff. Thanks for reading! Have a great gaming day!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 45
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 2/25/2020 1:49:33 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

I set Elmer to "strong" intel and "+2" cheat mode) and he was very tough, esp. at the end. I never once "cheated" on my end by peeking at Elmer. Kudos to designer, best PO I have played.

Thanks for the AAR. I also use Strong and +2 and I recommend these settings to anyone that finds the PO too easy. We spent[d] a lot of time on the PO and appreciate the compliment, but it is still Elmer and he fights with handicaps so giving him Strong and +2 helps offset that quite a bit.

Post #: 46
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 2/25/2020 2:44:36 AM   
Zovs

Hey is that a mod to turn the panels a different color? Or something I missed in the .40 update?

Been busy on some other projects lately...

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario & campaign creator

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 47
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 2/25/2020 10:33:31 AM   
StuccoFresco

Interesting scenario. What does "+2 cheat" means?

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 48
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 2/26/2020 3:04:29 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: StuccoFresco

Interesting scenario. What does "+2 cheat" means?

There are two options, in either "Player Options" or "Game Options" where you set the "level" of Elmer's strength....one is for "strong" easy medium (I think) and the other is you can set his "cheat" level from 0 to plus one or plus two .... I set him on "strong" and the other one on plus two. The "cheat" level I think sets his level of reconnaissance up, his supply level ... it is explained briefly in manual (I don't have manual in front of me) but I always set him to "strong" and "Plus Two" level.

(in reply to StuccoFresco)
Post #: 49
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] - 2/27/2020 7:52:31 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Hey is that a mod to turn the panels a different color? Or something I missed in the .40 update?

Been busy on some other projects lately...

Yes, it is Telumar's "BLUE GUI" mod, and some of the tiles he uses in the other grafx mod he has posted recently. I find the "BLUE GUI" mod most helpful, esp. for formation highlight, and from the other, I copied into my grafx override folder all of the broken RR and the broken bridges.

It was a chore finding those different tiles to use, but after an hour or so I had it tweaked to my better liking ... much easier now for me to see formations, broken RR, and broken bridges.

The Telumar grafx mods can be found in this link:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4757572

I use the BLUE GUI mod into my grafx override directory, and also selected the few broken RR and broken bridge tiles out of the overall other tiles that he provided. Most of his tweaks on basic hexes were too bright for my eyes, so I copied just the ones that I wanted to use and that has worked very well for me. I wanted to use his airfield markers, but they seem to be part-and-parcel w/ the too bright hexes, so I only used the broken RR and broken Bridge modifications from that.

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 2/27/2020 8:01:38 PM >

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Germans] v. PO] Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI