Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fall of France (myths)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Fall of France (myths) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fall of France (myths) - 11/30/2019 1:03:58 PM   
Zovs

Some posters have "claimed" that in WarPlan that the French campaign bogs down to World War One trench type of warfare.

I believe this is a false claim. I have the slight advantage of playing primarily as the Germans since June or so and here are two screen shots from two different Multiplayer games I have going on showing that this is not the case.

I have my own strategies and tactics but I won't disclose them, I leave that to the players to discover on their own. Likewise there are those that state such and such is broken, bugged or what not, but in reality they just need to learn how to adapt and overcome with the tools that Alvaro has provided us with.

Both players are good players (and one I know is a play tester on a beta project with me and he has taught me a lot about that game and gaming in general), this in no way is a discredit to them but just to point out that you need to learn how to use the game to get the results you desire. I am not an expert in fact John the Greek frustrates me to no end in this game.

So my bottom line is that no this does not boil down to some WW1 type of action at all.

Here are a couple of screenshots showing what I mean, the first two just happen to be on the same turn/date stamp and the last one shows the next turn in one of the games.

So in my opinion if your running into trench warfare then your not doing something right, your not using the tools you have at your disposal correctly to attain the desired results. In my opinion.

Sorry that the images are so large, I have a 4k monitor.

Game 1.

Game 2.

One them's games next turns moves at end of turn 7/15/40.

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario & campaign creator
Post #: 1
RE: Fall of France (myths) - 11/30/2019 1:18:05 PM   
Cohen_slith

Can I play as Allies vs you?

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 2
RE: Fall of France (myths) - 11/30/2019 1:48:49 PM   
GibClaret80

Just don't attack the magniot line and cut them off.

< Message edited by GibClaret80 -- 11/30/2019 1:49:07 PM >

(in reply to Cohen_slith)
Post #: 3
RE: Fall of France (myths) - 11/30/2019 2:08:37 PM   
Zovs

I have three ongoing games, so I don’t know if I can commit to another game yet. But give me some time to think about and see how the other three play out. I’m also play testing another beta so I don’t know if I can dedicate enough time for a fourth game but I wouldn’t mind playing here at one point.

WarPlan Beta Tester

(in reply to GibClaret80)
Post #: 4
RE: Fall of France (myths) - 11/30/2019 4:29:05 PM   
Flaviusx

I think the key here is not to get bogged down in winter and mud fighting. After the last couple of patches I'm inclined to take out the Dutch early but leave Belgium alone until weather clears up in 1940 and you have more panzers.

Under the original rules set the Germans had good reason to try to rush France, but that's changed.

A lot of folks are complaining about strategic bombing early on. I'm not sure if this is so bad as all that, and think it can get very expensive for the allies if they press it too hard. The UK strat bomber probably should be put in the deployment queue for mid 1940 and make this early strat bombing not quite so doable.

The other thing that has changed here is the option for Italy to declare war early. That will make it harder for the allies because they cannot simply strip North Africa to the bone if you choose to play with this option. If you think the Allies have an edge here, then I would suggest future games play with this option. Those French North African reinforcements do make a big difference. With them, you can practically take a pass on the BEF in France.

If the French aren't careful, not only could they lose Tunisia, but Germany might try breaking into the French interior via the Italian border.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 11/30/2019 4:36:19 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 5
RE: Fall of France (myths) - 11/30/2019 4:33:36 PM   
Rasputitsa

Play balance is always going to be the problem playing against a human player gifted by hindsight, West Front, or East Front, it is the same. However, the balance against the AI Allies feels OK, how good does an AI have to be to replicate the performance of the Western Allies in 1940, or the Soviets in '41.

Haven't had a chance to get deeply into the game, but just played early turns of the 1940 campaign against an Allied AI and captured Paris, forcing a French surrender on 5th July 1940, which is about right. Historically Paris was not defended, but the AI made me fight for it and the city fell after multiple attacks, leaving the leading German units heavily depleted, but victorious.

Below, the BEF has just been surrounded and destroyed West of Lille and the attack on Paris is about to begin :

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 11/30/2019 7:58:36 PM >

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 6
RE: Fall of France (myths) - 11/30/2019 5:57:58 PM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Some posters have "claimed" that in WarPlan that the French campaign bogs down to World War One trench type of warfare.

I believe this is a false claim. I have the slight advantage of playing primarily as the Germans since June or so and here are two screen shots from two different Multiplayer games I have going on showing that this is not the case.

I have my own strategies and tactics but I won't disclose them, I leave that to the players to discover on their own. Likewise there are those that state such and such is broken, bugged or what not, but in reality they just need to learn how to adapt and overcome with the tools that Alvaro has provided us with.

Here are a couple of screenshots showing what I mean, the first two just happen to be on the same turn/date stamp and the last one shows the next turn in one of the games.

I would like to find the strategies myself so I won't ask you what you are doing. But, one question. Did you DOW Netherlands and Belgium at the same time as historically on May 10th, 1940?
Or did you destroy Netherlands first then Belgium and add time to prepare your French offensive?

Thanks

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 7
RE: Fall of France (myths) - 11/30/2019 6:32:37 PM   
Zovs

DOW at same time, not May 10th, I started my invasion a turn or two later, the weather sucked. Think was 27th of May in one. Can't recall the other maybe the middle of May (after the 10th date).

WarPlan Beta Tester

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 8
RE: Fall of France (myths) - 11/30/2019 6:53:53 PM   
ncc1701e

Thanks a lot. I believe you this is possible. This is the result of my first turn in 1940 scenario. The Belgian and Dutch armies are almost cut off from the Allies.
I am just learning the game. I can do better I think.

This is like people that complains about too many French air fighter units. Are you using Airfield Strike, guys? I am having good results like this.

You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 9
RE: Fall of France (myths) - 11/30/2019 11:02:26 PM   
Steam4me

Hi Zovs,

Your screenshots look great, what graphics settings are you using? I can't get mine to look as good as yours :(

John

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 10
RE: Fall of France (myths) - 11/30/2019 11:52:01 PM   
Zovs

My graphics settings on my 4K monitor are set to 5120 x 2880 as the default, however I switch my resolution to 3840 x 2400 for Windows 10 and for the game I use 2560 x 1600 so I can see the top menu and well you can see what I see (albeit its not that big, it looks normal, but when I take screenshots they are come out large).

The counters are Mark Royers special blend for Zovs Thanks be to Mark for those

WarPlan Beta Tester

(in reply to Steam4me)
Post #: 11
RE: Fall of France (myths) - 12/23/2019 10:00:36 PM   
battlevonwar

In my first PvP game as Axis. I took Belgium in 1939 I believe it was, due to cold but not bad weather. Already had Holland and I got another turn of cold weather so I could proceed into hammering France. Now I am awaiting clear weather in March-April or May. I don't see where he can stop me but we shall see. My guess is the Allied player could spam Infantry Corps(with entrenchment) use a lot of fighters which they do have. Devote the UK Land Forces to the endeavor of pushing off Fall of France as long as possible. I don't think an Allied Force can stall it unless you are doing something wrong but they might make you have more casualties. I will see what happens. . . The high combat values in the Armor/Mechs and the open terrain really makes me think that France is a done deal unless your wearing down your own units.

Also if the Allies overdo France that means that the UK will burn some production. I wonder if a Sea Lion is more viable in this instance?

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 12
RE: Fall of France (myths) - 12/24/2019 4:50:30 AM   
AlvaroSousa

quote:

My graphics settings on my 4K monitor are set to 5120 x 2880 as the default, however I switch my resolution to 3840 x 2400 for Windows 10 and for the game I use 2560 x 1600 so I can see the top menu and well you can see what I see (albeit its not that big, it looks normal, but when I take screenshots they are come out large).

You know there is scaling now right?

Games worked on

Designer of the Strategic Command 2 products
- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

Designer of the Strategic Command 3 products
- Map Image Importer

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 13
RE: Fall of France (myths) - 12/24/2019 9:03:56 AM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alvaro Sousa

quote:

You know there is scaling now right?

I think so, this is an old post.

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Fall of France (myths) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI