Axis got stockpiles from the occupied nations, besides synthetic petrol there was also some small scale production within Germany, Austria and occupied Poland.Besides USSR transports till June 1941 under Molotov-Ribbentrop pact arrangements for which they paid with Machinery.
Indeed. On my historical map mod I have placed a 5 OIL resource in Hungary (177, 50) on the rail line between Poland and Hungary as, based on 40 Oil in Ploesti equalling historical 1939 Romanian production the combined Polish-Slovak production comes to ~5 total, not each.
* I've also added another 5 OIL (IIRC on the Linz-Vienna rail line junction) to Germany representing an underestimation of German non-synthetic oil production, a 5 Oil in Egypt north of Asyut.
* Iranian oil is now 30 OIL in Bandar Shapur and 30 OIL on the Karun river where the rail line crosses it 2 hexes north of the BS oil.
* Iraqi oil is now 10 OIL in Kurdistan, 10 OIL between Kurdistan and the 5 OIL at the junction of the Tigris and ... whatever ... river NE of Baghdad.
* Soviet Caucasus Oil is now 5 OIL in Maikop, 5 OIL in Grozny, deleted the oil near the Sulak river and Baku now has 2 x 25 OIL, one NW and one SW. This tries to represent the complete incapacity of the Germans to get the Baku oil (historically) to even 1 OIL plus the 2 points of repair per fortnight allowed (evidently hard coded) in the game. The Germans now have to work much harder to get any oil from the Caucasus (and I am considering making the 2 x 25 OIL 2 x 5, or even 1 x 5, OIL to further represent this)
* Other Soviet Oil ... Astrakhan, 5 OIL (as part of the attempt to represent making it more historically hard for the Germans to get more than minimal oil. 25 OIL at Ufa, 4 x 40 OIL around Siberia, partly to represent Siberian oil, mostly to represent US oil coming via Vladivostok as the claim that taking the Caucasus oil would have crippled the Soviet army which would have had to rely on finite stockpiles simply doesn't reflect reality.
* 5 OIL in the UK between Manchester and Leeds, representing small historical production of real and coal oil.
* 24 x 40 OIL in the USA (including what is there in the base game).
* 5 x 40 OIL in an expanded Central and South American Resource area.
* Bahrain Port (222, 1) with a 10 Oil NW.
The US and American oil is based on assuming equivalency of Ploesti = 40 OIL ... of course, the problem will be getting it to the UK and elsewhere!
Similar changes have been made to other Raw materials.
* Portugal now has fourRARE METALS ... one SE of Porto and one on the Lisbon-Spain rail line, in the river forest hex one two hexes SE of Lisbon and one 4 hexes SW ditto,
* Reduction of Spanish Steel to 5 STEEL. Added Spanish RARE METALS NW of Madrid.
* More COAL in the UK. 2 COAL in the Midlands. 1 COAL (NW of Glasgow, 1 COAL North of Cardiff.
* RARE METALS SE of Carlisle.
* BAUXITE NE of Glasgow.
* The USA now has 4 BAUXITE, 3 RARE METALS and 5 COAL.
* Canada now has 5 OIL (down from 10, iirc) and 5 STEEL.
* Germany has additional COAL, 2 (iirc) in the forest hes NW of Cologne and one adjacent, above the junction of the Cologne-Cassel RR line.
* Norway has 5 STEEL north of Oslo.
* Sweden has 1 x COAL at 162, 74, 1 RARE METALS at 164, 78 and the 30 STEEL on the Narvik-Lulea RR line.
* There is now a 5 OIL (Synthetic) NE of Talinn, representing Shale Oil production.
* Turkey has 1 x BAUXITE 2 hexes East of Ankara and 1 x RARE METALS at 201, 28.
* 1 x RARE METALS at 175, 28 in Greece.
* Yugoslavia has 3 x BAUXITE, one SW of Zagreb, one SW of Belgrade and one at 174, 37.
* Hungary has 4 x BAUXITE, one NW of Kapsovar, one S of Budapest, one on the Danaube-Arad RR line where it crosses the river and one NW of Debrecen.
* Italy has 3 x BAUXITE, N, NW and two hexes NW of Milan, 5 STEEL SW of Bologna
These are all based on 1939 data issued by the League of Nations (available online!).
Of course, having much more in the way of resources will probably require rejigging of unit costs etc. ... but that will require playtesting and I haven't got to that point yet!
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)