Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 11/29/2019 10:26:56 PM   
rommel222

Greetings to All,
Battlefront's Combat Mission Fortress Italy module, Rome to Victory, is now available for download to those with preorders.

https://www.battlefront.com/fortress-italy/

https://www.battlefront.com/fortress-italy/cmfi-rome-to-victory-module/
Post #: 1
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 11/29/2019 10:48:20 PM   
IslandInland

Battlefront are dead to me.

I saw generals create imaginary "masses of manoeuvre" with a crayon and dispose of enemy concentrations, that were on the ground and on the map, with an eraser. Who was I to criticise them, hero as I was of a hundred "Chinagraph wars" of make-believe?

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 2
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 11/30/2019 12:31:03 AM   
demyansk

Same here, I loved the games but lost interest.

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 3
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 11/30/2019 12:40:09 AM   
76mm

Sadly, me too.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 4
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 11/30/2019 12:59:04 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: IslandInland

Battlefront are dead to me.

Why?

I enjoyed the original CM and then CM: Barbarossa to Berlin over a decade ago. But I haven't followed up on the franchise since then. Is Battlefront dead to you as a company because of some egregious behavior or did it have to do with an increasingly dated engine / game mechanic?

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 5
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 11/30/2019 1:38:49 AM   
Rosseau

A lot has happened in 10 years. But the AI is still not great and micromanagement is pretty intense.

I thought their policy on Shock Force 2 upgrade of all modules was very good.

But this new one will cost me $10 for Engine 3 to 4, and $35. So $45 is too much, especially having all their games and hundreds of scenarios I will never play.

For those into post-CW combat though, Black Sea is pretty amazing.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 11/30/2019 2:05:40 AM   
rommel222

Greetings IslandInland, demyansk, 76mm & Chickenboy
I really enjoy the original Combat Mission Beyond Overlord, Barbarossa to Berlin & Afrika Korps.
I bought into Combat Mission Battle for Normandy & Commonwealth Forces bundle. The eve candy was good but there was much more effort required to play scenarios. There were bugs in the code which engine upgrades (not free which was a piss off) began to fix. However, the time between fixes and the very slow offering of modules was a let down. The forum fanboys constantly berated those who complained or questioned Battlefront's decisions. There were so many problems with game keys and activating, especially redownloading and reactivating that I gave up.
Note: Battlefront's new Full All in One game installers are fantastic compared to the prior days of sequential installs and activations. In addition, support has gotten much much better along with posted assistance in the forums in the last year (about time too).
But their games offer such good tactical simulations, along with quick battles, that I went back after a 6 year hiatus for CM Afghanistan. For me it is Eastern Front so CM Red Thunder was a no brainer. Enjoyed the title but disliked the paid engine upgrades and hated that no additional Eastern front modules done after years of waiting. I know Battlefront is working on Berlin 45 module but am pissed they put other projects ahead of it. I just purchased Rome to Victory module earlier today and enjoy playing the Brazilian troops vs the Panzer grenadiers in the mountains scenario. But I want Battlefront to only crank out Eastern front modules or battle packs from 1941 Moscow, 42 Stalingrad & 43 Kursk & Kiev, etc.
I am not a fanboy of Battlefront and want them to stop charging for engine upgrades. I am grateful to those who make free scenarios, campaigns & maps for the Combat Mission titles, especially for Stalingrad. I have not bothered with the modern warfare titles Black Sea & Shock Force 2 at this pointsince the modern battlefield technology is so deadly.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 11/30/2019 2:37:09 AM   
rommel222

Greetings Rosseau,
I feel your pain with the paid upgrades needed just to pay and play the module. Since I previously upgraded for CMFI v3 & V4 it was not as painful. It is a major turnoff for many to pay for upgrades and I agree.
I do view the CM Black Sea & Shock Force 2 online videos and it is amazing. I have tried the demos but the modern battlefield is very different from WW 2, Korea & Vietnam(my experience).
After Nam, every day is gravy and I enjoy being a first & second time grandpa to my 3 year old grandson & 10 week old grandson.

P.S. I just bought my wife a 2019 Dodge Charger, V-6 & AWD for harsh winters in Saratoga, NY.
Do not ask how much (paid cash and now I am broke), so buying Rome to Victory module was a pittance for myself.

P.P.S. The joke was when I kicked the bucket wife would use life insurance to buy her dream car(Charger).
Well, I did not have to kick the bucket but I will be working beyond retirement age which may kill me off.

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 8
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 11/30/2019 5:44:00 AM   
Rosseau

I don't begrudge BFC too much, as they are trying to make a living off one series basically, unlike Matrix big stable.

I rented a V6 Charger a while back, and it had decent power. A nice car. In NE Ohio (or Upstate NY) gotta have AWD and I assume all-season tires unless you garage it all winter, which makes little sense. I had a V8 Mustang years ago and barely could get around with studded snows.

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 9
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 11/30/2019 9:02:43 AM   
demyansk

Good one Rommel, I bought the originals again on GOG and they work on Windows 10. I bought the Normandy and Red Thunder but was dissatisfied with the gameplay. Then, I had to purchase some upgrades. Just decided to forego the entire series and deleted them from my hard drive. The game I am looking at is Black Sea but never bought it, why? Just other games to play.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 10
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 11/30/2019 9:37:06 AM   
wodin

As tactical is my thing, and it's not as if we are swamped with great tactical titles then BF along with Graviteam tactics are a God send for me. No BF would mean a massive 33% hit in tactical goodies on the PC, for me anyway

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 11
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 12/8/2019 8:36:32 AM   
rommel222

Greetings wodin,
Rome to Victory (R2V) battlefront thread: (Gebirgsjager screenshots are tops)
http://community.battlefront.com/topic/136098-what-makes-this-module-worth-buying/

I find Graviteam to be good but Combat Mission best since tactical control is better in wego or real time.
Same with Histwar Napoleon & Les Grognards being good but Scourge of War Waterloo best since tactical control is better.

I have too many wargames which allows me to make these comparisons(including matrixgames offerings).
When I want old school, I go back to HPS & JTS Squad Battles and Napoleonic Campaign titles (Still good after all these years).

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 12
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 12/8/2019 11:58:01 AM   
larrybush

I enjoyed Barbarossa to Berlin, it was unique at the time and played good. I never quite agreed with the ballistics model (but no big deal).
I recently downloaded a demo to see if I could get back in it. Sadly no, way too much micromanagement of troops.
Could not seem to get the squads to do simple things - like point the machine gun north through the hole in the rock wall (kept pointing east, enemies were north) Moved the leader close to the hole in the wall for mortar spotting, but he was too stupid to look through for spotting.
Someday (probably not in my lifetime) AI will be invented that has enough intuition to understand orders without excessive micromanagement. Ha!

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 13
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 12/8/2019 12:46:12 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Same here. I use to buy all their Combat Mission games but when my older computer went bellyup, I had nothing but problems from them getting relicenses for all my games. And they charge for updates. I hate Elicense. I'am done with them. Have been for some time.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 14
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 12/8/2019 4:31:55 PM   
ezzler

I've never bought a more expensive game.
For some dumb reason the firm charged the sales tax on the download for the UK, which is 20%. That was ok.

But they ALSO put a customs value on the CD of $85 or whatever it was. Which attracts a customs fee of some $20 PLUS a handling fee of $15.
There is NO reason to do that. The GAME, the digital one, attracts the taxation. The CD is just a CD. Should be charged out a $0.10.

They made me pay a 20% tax, twice.

Never again.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 15
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 12/9/2019 4:15:02 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Their not a customer friendly company. So I took my money else where.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 16
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 12/9/2019 4:29:21 AM   
chris_merchant

This thread is (mostly) hilarious!

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 17
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 12/9/2019 6:37:52 AM   
Alan Sharif

I am another gamer who has given up on Battlefront, for all the reasons above.

A Sharif

(in reply to chris_merchant)
Post #: 18
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 12/9/2019 8:56:56 AM   
demyansk

I bought the Black Sea game recently but haven't played yet. I upgraded my Shock Force to the second level. However, I understand the upgrade issues are somewhat complicated to keep track of all the different game engines, versions, etc.

The Afghanistan game is 25 dollars, that's a decent price.

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 19
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 12/9/2019 2:12:41 PM   
rommel222

Greetings larrybush & Titanwarrior89,
Still enjoy CM Barbarossa to Berlin despite CM Red Thunder.
I never bought CM Beyond Overlord, Barbarossa to Berlin & Afrika Korps from battlefront.
Purchased CD versions from Electronic Boutique store in local mall. No DRM/e-licence.
I am so glad that battlefront went with gog (good old games) to now sell ($5.99 w/no DRM/e-licence)
I got them from gog when on sale for $ 1.99 each and they run full screen no problem.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 20
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 12/9/2019 2:18:56 PM   
rommel222

Greetings ezzler,
I have to agree that the CD versions are expensive. I bought CM Battles for Normandy & Commonwealth bundle and w/shipping in U.S. it was a lot.
I am sad to hear that in UK you got hosed much more.
I only buy the download versions since then and save full installers on hard drive and USB stick for good measure.

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 21
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 12/9/2019 2:34:36 PM   
rommel222

Greetings demyansk,
I purchased CM Afghanistan when price dropped and like it a lot due to time period and setting.
Battlefront forums show lots of interest in the game and hopes for upgrade to CMx2 engine.
Lots of free user made scenarios/campaigns for it too. Sadly CM Shock Force 1 is no longer offered.
I wonder if battlefront will allow gog to sell CM Afghanistan & Shock Force 1 at some point.

Maybe one day battlefront will get extremely customer friendly and sell all CMx2 titles on gog

One reason I tolerate battlefront is when I see forum AARs like this one: (reads like a German Sgt Rock comic book)
http://community.battlefront.com/topic/135637-caar-cmfi-rome-to-victory-beta-the-kirpan-the-rhino/

I am not registered in battlefront forums and have no desire to be, even though I own all Combat Mission titles.

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 22
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 12/9/2019 2:59:41 PM   
wodin

Black Sea and to a point Shock Force didn't really do it for me. Though Shock Force with the British module improved game no end as it kind of evened things up abit.

CMBN with all its modules is my favourite followed by the Bulge game which is kind of odd as I normally prefer East Front but I find Red Thunder abit meh. I'd prefer something up to end of 42. For East Front it's Graviteam tactics for me.

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 23
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 12/9/2019 4:04:34 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rommel222
One reason I tolerate battlefront is when I see forum AARs like this one: (reads like a German Sgt Rock comic book)
http://community.battlefront.com/topic/135637-caar-cmfi-rome-to-victory-beta-the-kirpan-the-rhino/

Wow! What an AAR!

Thank you for posting!

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 24
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 12/9/2019 5:36:23 PM   
zasgard

So....

I'm looking at this game for a possible entry into the tactical area of gaming. I've tinkered with the FI demo and I suck, bad. I do know that I will get better, but after reading so many posts about BF and their games, I'm really skeptical about purchasing.

From downloading issues, patching issues, up charges, a dated engine...I'm not sure I want to pull the trigger. The learning curve is HUGE for someone like myself whose only real WW2 PC gaming experience is Battle Academy, Theater of War (briefly) and some Panzer General games.

Is there a title out there that you all would consider a better purchase for me before I try tackling this beast of a series?

I was thinking CC Bloody first, but that game seems to be kind of broken (from what I've read).

Thank you

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 25
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 12/9/2019 6:29:07 PM   
rommel222

Greetings zasgard,
I am a tactical gamer and have Battle Academy 1 & 2 and Theatre of War titles.
Alternative tactical titles, on sale here now, are:
Heroes of Stalingrad
Tigers on the Hunt
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear & Storms of Steel
John Tiller's Campaign Series (covers all WW 2 fronts and is a classic!)
Close Combat Series: Arnhem & Cross of Iron

Try Combat Mission Beyond Overlord, Barbarossa to Berlin & Afrika Korps at gog.com
these games started the WEGO system at 60 second intervals.

For current Combat Mission series watch youtube videos and read reviews. (I lose a fair number of battles against AI)
If you like Battle of the Bulge then Combat Mission Final Blitzkreig is a good initial purchase.
You get all the big German panzers to play with: fun in the snow.
Single game with no addons so now download/upgrade problems and fully patched to the latest version.

Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNWXIue8CJo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e32Tbb6cC1Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV5kpReG32w

Nice reviews:
https://www.wargamer.com/reviews/review-combat-mission-final-blitzkrieg/
http://armchairgeneral.com/combat-mission-final-blitzkrieg-pc-game-review.htm
https://www.awargamersneedfulthings.co.uk/2016/04/combat-mission-final-blitzkrieg-review_87.html
http://grogheads.com/pix/12351

(in reply to zasgard)
Post #: 26
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 12/9/2019 6:57:22 PM   
z1812

Hi Zasgard,

As someone who has been playing wargames for many years these are the ones I would recommend.

Combat Mission As you have said you don't think it is for you. What ever you choose, stick with the CM demos as once you grasp how things work, and if the system suits you, you won't find a better representation of WW2 tactical warfare.

Tigers on the Hunt is like Advanced Squad Leader ported to the computer. Again very good but a bit of a learning curve.

John Tillers Campaign Series, although modelled at platoon level, is still very tactical and includes The Russisn, European, and Pacific theatres.

Close Combat These are real time games not turn based. I don't find the A.I. to be very good. If you want to try one I would suggest the original " A Bridge too Far. Dated graphics but generally thought of as the best gameplay and A.I. If you want a more recent one Cross of Iron is worth considering.

Steel Panthers, Another turn based game with reasonable fidelity and quite popular.

I would stay away from the Squad Battles series. The Armour model is very poor. Combat Resolution can often leave you scratching your head.

If you don't mind ancients, Field of Glory 2 is a very, very good representation of tactical combat through that period.

Consider that with any game you choose. There will be a learning curve. For a tactical wargame to represent reasonable combat situations and results, it does require some complexity, so a bit of study and practice is needed to understand and fully enjoy the game.

(in reply to zasgard)
Post #: 27
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 12/9/2019 7:10:38 PM   
zasgard

Thank you

I forgot that the CC games are real time, and I despise RT games. I'll continue with the demo until I either get it or rage quit :)

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 28
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 12/10/2019 11:09:48 PM   
ringoblood

Looking Forward to getting these, I'm still a fan of the series, please dont kill me guys, but i am.

(in reply to zasgard)
Post #: 29
RE: Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released - 12/10/2019 11:23:53 PM   
TheGrayMouser

For someone who knows nothing about battlefront, and CM, and isn’t needing high end graphics, would panzer command Ostfront be a decent “substitute”? It certainly appears to have equal or greater depth than CM, although it is old...

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Combat Mission Rome to Victory Released Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI