Panzer Map Mod + Units Mod [New 2022 MOD available]

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

PanzerMike

Panzer Map Mod + Units Mod [New 2022 MOD available]

Post by PanzerMike »

Hi all,

I made this graphical mod using GIMP. The stock graphics are very toned down. I decided to spice them up a little, but not too much of course.

You can safely use this mod; you can't break anything. It is just graphics.
Major credits to mroyer for his wonderful unit mod that my unit mod was built on.

Panzer Map Version 6:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i7b1bh9s3bx5k ... 6.zip?dl=0
Installation is real easy, just copy all the png files you wish to use in the campaign directory (for example: C:\Users\*your user*\Documents\My Games\WarPlan\Campaigns\Europe 1939).

Panzer Map Version 7:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jwit0pr3krzu ... 7.zip?dl=0
Installation is real easy, just copy all the png files you wish to use in the campaign directory (for example: C:\Users\*your user*\Documents\My Games\WarPlan\Campaigns\Europe 1939). Main difference with version 6 is one extra weather graphic due to a new kind of weather introduced in version 1.07 of Warplan and beach graphics are now shown where invasion is possible.

Panzer Units Version 5:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lf1n3it0p096s ... 5.zip?dl=0
This is a set of 10(!) unit.png files. All kinds of combinations (big counters, small counters, round, silhouettes, 3d, transparant, etc.) Check them out for yourself and choose the one you like. Ow, there is also 2 variants that resemble the stock graphics. Enjoy.

Panzer Units Version 6:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uq5j6iu02lvy5 ... 6.zip?dl=0
Installation is real easy, just copy the png file of the counters you wish to use in the campaign directory (for example: C:\Users\*your user*\Documents\My Games\WarPlan\Campaigns\Europe 1939). Then rename that png file to: units.png.

Panzer Map and Units Version 118:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nwbwy14dgacld ... 2.zip?dl=0
This one goes for a whole different look and feel. More like a boardgame with color and style easy on the eye. It mods both the units and the map if you extract this in your directory. Of course you can remove the ones you don't like; the game will then automatically revert back to the vanilla graphics.

Panzer Map and Units Version 118 Version 5:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8qddr6k6abwy ... 5.zip?dl=0
The latest and the greatest uploaded in december 2022. It is a further development of the earlier version.

Do you like what you see. Or you don't. Or you spot a goof on my part. Or any suggestions (if it's doable I may give it a shot for you). Let me know!

Enjoy!

Ow, and here is an instruction manual for both the Map and the Unit mod
Panzer Mod Instruction Manual:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kb0vmtffeoip1 ... s.pdf?dl=0
Last edited by PanzerMike on Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.
PanzerMike

RE: Panzer Map Mod

Post by PanzerMike »

sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

Very nice!
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
mroyer

Post by mroyer »

Attachments
SmileyThumbsUp.jpg
SmileyThumbsUp.jpg (69.69 KiB) Viewed 4685 times
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I like it a lot. Thanks!

I have some difficulty distinguishing between railroads and roads. Otherwise I find it more lively than the standard map.

Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Weather graphics was very good, covering the whole hex and all. I must try them at once. Thank you.
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

Really nice! Thanks for sharing. 👍
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

Still tinkering with the weather.png. I changed the rain, and it looks like this (this is not up for download by the way):

I think I like this better.
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

To me, that looks a bit too much like your snow graphic.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Think you're mod is still the best. One actually gets a feeling of the weather. But I think the raindrops are too fat, and hard to see against the ground backdrop. Will try some own design, but this one is one of the hardest to do.

Why are image 1 and 2, and 5 and 6, the same?

In the original, I may add. If it is sea or ground hex graphic, which is which?
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

Thanks! And honestly, I also do not know why 1,2 and 5,6 are the same (rain and heavy rain). In fact, I am under the distinct impression 5 and 6 are not used in the game at all.

The rain is the probably hardest to get right. I looked on the internet for suitable weather graphics, but I just can not seem to find what I needed. So I made most weather graphics by hand in GIMP.

But what looks good on ocean tiles may not look very good on a land tile. The game does not give you the opportunity to distinghuish between land and sea for weather graphics as far as I can see. Alas.

How about this for rain:

mroyer

Post by mroyer »

PanzerMike, you've just articulated all the struggles I've had with weather tiles, esp. rain. I do like your last rendition better - I prefer the "streaky" rain, I guess, over the blotchy rain.

Also, I agree, I haven't noticed where tiles 5,6 are used in the game. They're probably for some future expansion or something.

-Mark R.
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Slightly better, but a tad too rough over seas and still a bit vague over land. I think I have some idea how to solve it, but haven't tried yet.
PanzerMike

Post by PanzerMike »

Still trying to improve things for version 2.

Rain on the ocean

Rain on land

Alternative snow (instead of the rounded snow)

Mountains revisited, work in progress, but I think I like it this way
mroyer

Post by mroyer »

PanzerMike,
Idea: For the rain (and maybe snow) in GIMP try a slightly offset (one or two pixels) drop-shadow with a dark color (dark gray?) and zero blur to see if that helps make it stand out better on both land and sea.
scout1

Post by scout1 »

ORIGINAL: PanzerMike

Hi all,

I made this little graphical mod using GIMP.

Panzer Map download link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9veszxtv7d59 ... 1.zip?dl=0

After downloading the file, simply copy the png files to the right directory.
For example, you wish to use this mod in a 1939 campaign. The files must then be placed in the directory where the game is installed, go to the Campaigns subfolder (eg WarPlan\Campaigns\Europe 1939). Simply paste them in the Europe 1939 folder (overwrite existing files if necessary), and start your game.

The mod does not contain units, only map related stuff.

It is the first version and no doubt there is room for improvement. Please post in this thread if you see something that needs some tender loving care.

One extra word of note, if you do not like what I did to the movement paths, simply delete the movepath.png file from the aformentioned folder and restart your game.

Enjoy.

Where do these png files get unzipped into …..? Under Campaigns\New Custom Images ?
mroyer

Post by mroyer »

C:\Users\<yourUserName>\Documents\My Games\WarPlan\Campaigns\Europe 1939 Italian Option
and each other campaign you want to use them in.
scout1

Post by scout1 »

ORIGINAL: mroyer

C:\Users\<yourUserName>\Documents\My Games\WarPlan\Campaigns\Europe 1939 Italian Option

OK … thanks … so is the Custom Images folder used at all or is it merely back up folder ?
mroyer

Post by mroyer »

As far as I know, it is intended as source material for customized mods.
-Mark R.
scout1

Post by scout1 »

ORIGINAL: mroyer

Odd … there are no *.png files currently within the scenario folders …. Not saying you're wrong, just would have expected some to be replaced ….

Return to “MODS and Scenarios”