Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Started playing an online game but now it is a PBEM game, anyway to convert it back?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Started playing an online game but now it is a PBEM game, anyway to convert it back? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Started playing an online game but now it is a PBEM gam... - 11/29/2019 6:39:05 AM   
CraigStevenson

Hello, we have hit a problem with an online game I am playing.

I am playing a game against a friend. We started the game as an online game but during one turn he saved it mid turn and closed it. When he tried to restart it, the game had become a PBEM game so he sent me the file.

I tried to open the file in PBEM but I don't know the password to open my turn (I am not even sure I created a password because we started the game as an online game). Hence, we are stuck.

Is there any way to recover a password or convert the game back into a online game?

cheers
Craig
Post #: 1
RE: Started playing an online game but now it is a PBEM... - 11/29/2019 4:34:00 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: CraigStevenson

Hello, we have hit a problem with an online game I am playing.

I am playing a game against a friend. We started the game as an online game but during one turn he saved it mid turn and closed it. When he tried to restart it, the game had become a PBEM game so he sent me the file.

I tried to open the file in PBEM but I don't know the password to open my turn (I am not even sure I created a password because we started the game as an online game). Hence, we are stuck.

Is there any way to recover a password or convert the game back into a online game?

cheers
Craig

Go back to the last PBEM++ turn that either of you can play and redo it.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to CraigStevenson)
Post #: 2
RE: Started playing an online game but now it is a PBEM... - 11/29/2019 6:53:03 PM   
Hellen_slith

How does one go back to a previous turn on the on line thing?

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3
RE: Started playing an online game but now it is a PBEM... - 11/30/2019 2:57:59 AM   
CraigStevenson

Yep, problem is we started the game as an online game through the TOAW online interface. When my mate saved the game and closed it down without finishing his turn TOAW dumped it from the online game and converted it to a PBEM game. I am not sure I have ever created a password for it but if I have I cannot remember what it is. Hence, we either need to somehow load it back into the online game system of somehow recover my password (I am not optimistic either way).

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 4
RE: Started playing an online game but now it is a PBEM... - 11/30/2019 11:51:49 AM   
Hellen_slith

You should be able to find it by opening the json text file in a text editor (e.g., NotePad)
and using the "edit -- find" search tool

Search for the phrase "PlayerPassword"

and you should be able to find your password.

If you cannot find it, you can email me that file and I think I can find it.

The file is located in your "documents\MyGames\The Operation Art of War IV" directory

edit: I take that back, all those "PlayerPassword" fields are apparently those used to start games. Weird, I wonder why my json file has all those passwords from games that have ended long ago, I guess they just stay there for a time?

Or what the field "Awards" is for?

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 11/30/2019 11:57:49 AM >

Post #: 5
RE: Started playing an online game but now it is a PBEM... - 12/7/2019 2:13:17 AM   
CraigStevenson

Thanks Helen_slith, unfortunately it looks like our game cannot be recovered and our game is done. Time to start over. The up side is that it was my opponents error and things were looking grim for me :) so it is not all bad.

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 6
RE: Started playing an online game but now it is a PBEM... - 12/7/2019 1:37:18 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: CraigStevenson

Thanks Helen_slith, unfortunately it looks like our game cannot be recovered and our game is done. Time to start over. The up side is that it was my opponents error and things were looking grim for me :) so it is not all bad.

That's the spirit.

Maybe should just go with the pbem and ditch the online?

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Post #: 7
RE: Started playing an online game but now it is a PBEM... - 12/7/2019 4:19:38 PM   
Hellen_slith

The nice thing about regular PBEM is that when the scenario ends, you have the chance to save that last go as a PBL file which you can send to your opponent, and then they can also examine the whole board at the end and the total losses and other reports (if not replay the last move, at least you can do that ....)

Unlike the other on line, that just sends you a misleading email that you can replay the last move.

Maybe instead of that email, the server emails both players the final PBL file.

They should really fix that. I have two games going that are 200 plus movers if we go the distance, and it is going to be really frustrating at the end when one of us can't see the final result.

Maybe, at that point (the final move) the last moving player should then save the game out, so that they can email their opponent the final screen.

Really needs to be fixed. If I were a new player, that whole fiasco would be a real game killer.

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Started playing an online game but now it is a PBEM game, anyway to convert it back? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI