Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game unplayable due resolution problem (from steam forums)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Tech Support >> Game unplayable due resolution problem (from steam forums) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game unplayable due resolution problem (from steam forums) - 11/27/2019 1:59:55 PM   
Vol777

Score: 0
I have laptop with native resolution of 1920x1080. When I started the game, it started full screen but then it shrinked to a window which displays only part of the screen. Only selectable resolution is 1280x720. It does not work in full screen and in windowed mode, there is only part of the information. When I try to select “full screen” from the menu, it gives error message: “could not set the video mode”. Is there any fix for this problem or should I refund the game because it is unplayable. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it did not help. I bought also SC WAW, and it runs fine fullscreen but there also is only that one resolution 1280x720 in selection screen.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Game unplayable due resolution problem (from steam ... - 11/27/2019 2:56:46 PM   
Hubert Cater

Score: 2
Hi Vol,

Sorry to hear about the trouble.

From your description, your native resolution is 1920x1080, however since the game is reporting 1280x720, this indicates that you have a 150% scaling in effect for your laptop. Essentially even though the OS is telling you 1920x1080, when you scale at 150% the actual resolution you are using for your laptop is 1280x720.

However the game should in this case just report to you your default 1920x1080 in the setup and even in the SETTINGS screen. I suspect you are running an older version of the game on Steam.

Could you try updating your version within steam by going to your Steam Library and then right clicking on the game in your list and selecting Properties. From there click on the Local Files tab, and then clicking on the Verify Integrity of Game Files button.

Let me know if this updates your game and if it works after that,
Hubert

(in reply to Vol777)
Post #: 2
RE: Game unplayable due resolution problem (from steam ... - 11/27/2019 3:14:11 PM   
Vol777

I have version 1.16.03, which I believe is the most recent. I have done verifying before and did it again and there is no problem. The problem was with scaling. After changing it back to 100% game runs without a problem in 1920x1080 and there is multiple resolutions to select. I am happy with that. Now it works even with 150% scaling at 1280x720.

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 3
RE: Game unplayable due resolution problem (from steam ... - 11/27/2019 3:16:10 PM   
Hubert Cater

Great!

(in reply to Vol777)
Post #: 4
RE: Game unplayable due resolution problem (from steam ... - 11/30/2019 10:59:59 AM   
Delaware

I would just like to report I have the same issue due to scaling but this was introduced by an update, as the original versions of the game did not do this. Just an FYI

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 5
RE: Game unplayable due resolution problem (from steam ... - 11/30/2019 12:13:12 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Delaware,

Sorry to hear about the trouble and with the latest update we introduced the ability to change the screen resolution. However with those that were running scaling there appears to be this backwards compatibility issue upon first starting up the game again after the update.

I believe the simplest workaround is to navigate to the USER folder for the game and open up the SC3.ini file. Typically the folder can be found here:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Strategic Command WWII - War in Europe

If you then change the following lines to this, save the file, and then restart the game, it should be fine after that and going forward with the game:

#ORIGINAL_SCREEN_WIDTH= 0
#ORIGINAL_SCREEN_HEIGHT= 0
#WINDOW_WIDTH= 0
#WINDOW_HEIGHT= 0
#BIT_DEPTH= 0
#FULL_SCREEN= 0

Please let me know how it goes, and sorry again about the trouble.
Hubert

(in reply to Delaware)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Tech Support >> Game unplayable due resolution problem (from steam forums) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI