Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tech Problem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tech Problem - 11/27/2019 7:11:44 AM   
Maruko

Good morning,
yesterday I buyed TOAW4, my pc responds to the minimum requisites but when I start the game i can't play...
When I click the mouse I receive the command after 5 seconds, so it's unplayable.
What's the problem? Someone can help me please?

Thank you

Post #: 1
RE: Tech Problem - 11/27/2019 10:21:15 AM   
76mm

You should ask this question on the Tech Support subforum for TOAW. Good luck!

(in reply to Maruko)
Post #: 2
RE: Tech Problem - 11/27/2019 10:46:08 AM   
Shadrach

Better to report the issue to Matrix Support. You can find the Helpdesk link from "My Page" on the store:
https://www.matrixgames.com/member/helpdesk

Then you can get professional help, since none of the Matrix staff seem to read this forum these days

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 3
RE: Tech Problem - 11/27/2019 3:10:30 PM   
Zovs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maruko

Good morning,
yesterday I buyed TOAW4, my pc responds to the minimum requisites but when I start the game i can't play...
When I click the mouse I receive the command after 5 seconds, so it's unplayable.

Thank you

Like the other fellows said.

But what the heck does "When I click the mouse I receive the command after 5 seconds, so it's unplayable." mean?

Where did you click a mouse, on a button and exe, after the game opened or maybe it was the game launcher or was it steam?

What command? That does not make sense.

More details or screen shots would help some of us help you out.

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario & campaign creator

(in reply to Maruko)
Post #: 4
RE: Tech Problem - 11/27/2019 3:46:26 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maruko

Good morning,

Thank you

sPzAbt653 seems to have3 the handle on this. At least how to minimize it. Might want to ask him.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to Maruko)
Post #: 5
RE: Tech Problem - 11/27/2019 4:37:25 PM   
Menschenfresser

I doubt this will help but I just purchased it, too, and saw the same issue.

However, I'm running it on Linux via wine. I noticed that clicking a button (main menu or scenario selection) took several seconds to respond. One core of my CPU would spike to 100% during that time. Then the game would more forward. Then I realized the wineprefix I was using wasn't 32-bit. Created a new 32-bit prefix, reinstalled under that, and the issue disappeared.

Make wargames, not war.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 6
RE: Tech Problem - 11/27/2019 5:32:24 PM   
Blond_Knight

I have the same issue on the main screen and the scenario selection screen but not in the game itself. I chalk it up to the programs age.

(in reply to Menschenfresser)
Post #: 7
RE: Tech Problem - 11/27/2019 6:58:58 PM   
Hellen_slith

If you can, try setting the game to run in Win7 "compatibility" mode. That may help.

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 8
RE: Tech Problem - 11/27/2019 7:01:04 PM   
tomlowshang

quote:

ORIGINAL: Menschenfresser

I doubt this will help but I just purchased it, too, and saw the same issue.

However, I'm running it on Linux via wine. I noticed that clicking a button (main menu or scenario selection) took several seconds to respond. One core of my CPU would spike to 100% during that time. Then the game would more forward. Then I realized the wineprefix I was using wasn't 32-bit. Created a new 32-bit prefix, reinstalled under that, and the issue disappeared.

Which version of Wine? I have that problem on the older stable Wine release. The game works much better on the developer release (currently 4.20) which has improved mono support.

Other issues you may see: rotated text doesn't work, and no transparency on the hex info popup (I disable the popup anyway).

Post #: 9
RE: Tech Problem - 11/27/2019 7:48:59 PM   
Menschenfresser

quote:

ORIGINAL: tomlowshang
Which version of Wine?

Yeah, it's the stable release. I tried to install the devel branch but there were issues with lingering files from a previous install. Those files cause the devel package install to demand itself (stable version, I think) as a dependency. Something along those lines. Known bug, I believe.

Came on one of those days when I didn't feel like scouring every corner to find the conflict. I might try again because I can only run TOAW4 in an emulated desktop. Can't run fullscreen. Crashes with the following errors:

0009:fixme:font:get_outline_text_metrics failed to read full_nameW for font L"Ani"!
0009:fixme:font:ExtTextOutW flags ETO_NUMERICSLOCAL | ETO_NUMERICSLATIN unimplemented

Make wargames, not war.

(in reply to tomlowshang)
Post #: 10
RE: Tech Problem - 11/27/2019 8:14:16 PM   
tomlowshang

quote:

ORIGINAL: Menschenfresser

quote:

Which version of Wine?

Yeah, it's the stable release. I tried to install the devel branch but there were issues with lingering files from a previous install. Those files cause the devel package install to demand itself (stable version, I think) as a dependency. Something along those lines. Known bug, I believe.

Came on one of those days when I didn't feel like scouring every corner to find the conflict. I might try again because I can only run TOAW4 in an emulated desktop. Can't run fullscreen. Crashes with the following errors:

0009:fixme:font:get_outline_text_metrics failed to read full_nameW for font L"Ani"!
0009:fixme:font:ExtTextOutW flags ETO_NUMERICSLOCAL | ETO_NUMERICSLATIN unimplemented

Sorry, the error doesn't mean anything to me. I run everything in emulated desktop anyway. Is your full screen a common size like 1920x1080 or something much larger?

I should have mentioned I use the Wine build from the winehq site. I'm running Debian unstable.

Post #: 11
RE: Tech Problem - 11/27/2019 8:37:44 PM   
Menschenfresser

quote:

Sorry, the error doesn't mean anything to me. I run everything in emulated desktop anyway. Is your full screen a common size like 1920x1080 or something much larger?

I should have mentioned I use the Wine build from the winehq site. I'm running Debian unstable.

Xubuntu 18.04 and wine from the ppa off the winehq site (not sure what's in the default ubuntu repos). The monitor is 2k and a second screen running off my laptop. I'll try running it on just my 1920x1080 laptop screen later tonight. But i'd rather have 1920x1080 emulated on the big monitor than full screen on the laptop.

Make wargames, not war.

(in reply to tomlowshang)
Post #: 12
RE: Tech Problem - 11/27/2019 8:45:51 PM   
tomlowshang

I did a test and see one of the messages that you get:

The game runs OK so I doubt that message is related to the crash.

Post #: 13
RE: Tech Problem - 11/28/2019 7:53:32 AM   
Maruko

Thank you all for support, I have tryed to start the game in windows 7 compatibility mode and now it's a little better...
In the start screen and in the scenario menu it's the same with a very slow respond to mouse click, in the "game" screen it's a little bit better.
I don't know why, a 2 years old game...

(in reply to Maruko)
Post #: 14
RE: Tech Problem - 11/28/2019 11:39:49 AM   
Shadrach

The game is badly optimised and will lag, even on modern CPUs that run full-3D games with no problem.

I kind of suspect the lag when clicking could come from issues with the ANCIENT audio system it uses (Audiere). Try turning off sounds.

Another thing to try (if Windows 10): In the same Compatibility tab where you set the mode, go to "Change high DPI settings" and set "Override high DPI scaling" to Application.

(in reply to Maruko)
Post #: 15
RE: Tech Problem - 11/28/2019 3:07:09 PM   
Hellen_slith

Yes, turning off sound helped me.

Also, I did some other things when I had the problems,
here are the settings I use now, and it seems to work pretty good for me:

Do these under "Player Options" menu from in the game and it may help:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 16
RE: Tech Problem - 11/28/2019 8:28:11 PM   
sPzAbt653

The ones highlighted Blue are most critical.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Maruko)
Post #: 17
Not a Tech Problem - bad default - 11/29/2019 1:04:53 PM   
John T_MatrixForum

As I understands it,
Noone can play the game smoothly without changing a number of configurations after installation.

After I started to run in win8 mode and fixed a reasonable resolution for my laptop screen (1600*900) TOAW IV where more stable than Microsoft own development tool (Visual Studio)

on my new laptop, win10 with compatibility mode win8 it also fairly stable even at 4k resolution and 27" screen.

cheers

/John T

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 18
RE: Not a Tech Problem - bad default - 12/6/2019 10:15:34 AM   
Maruko

Now with the settings you advice to me, the program works better, very better. Now the game is playable.

Thank you

(in reply to John T_MatrixForum)
Post #: 19
RE: Not a Tech Problem - bad default - 12/7/2019 6:02:38 PM   
Hellen_slith

Excellent!

Next is to understand the nuances of "on line" play ...

If you START an on-line challenge game,
I recommend that you NOT "password" the challenge ...

that way others can accept your challenge easily.

Good luck!

(in reply to Maruko)
Post #: 20
RE: Tech Problem - 12/7/2019 6:45:46 PM   
zakblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shadrach

Better to report the issue to Matrix Support. You can find the Helpdesk link from "My Page" on the store:
https://www.matrixgames.com/member/helpdesk

Then you can get professional help, since none of the Matrix staff seem to read this forum these days

if it posted in the correct place, it gets answered, if it's posted elsewhere, unless someone has a eye on that part, it's missed, sorry for that, but can't read and check every post, it's not how it happens,

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1662

regarding tech support, if no replies, correct and best option is to open a ticket, but also in every or well most sections there's also some help files to read and understand before posting, checking my link shows 4 at the top, if a user doesn't give enough information as requested, then it's like ping pong backwards and forwards over time, sometimes days to even get what's asked for in the links, add that in to 40 to 60 games and more, it soon mounts up, so while not perfect, it's not hard how to see posts outside the correct places do get missed.

everyone who does tech support has reminders set on posts in there sections, but even then, depends on how many section your looking after, so add in, this isn't in the the tech support area, just one of the reasons it's not been seen or answered, and second point, as 99% of games here are for pc's only, there has never been any official support for anything none windows, unless someone wishes to answer, official policy is, if it's for windows, then you need windows to run it, not emulation, as it's not supported even if it works, as no one this side of the fences knows very little about it, so how can they help on a subject they don't know?

you asked, so reply was for you, almost all posts are read, but not all are answered, reply was given before staff seen, and that reply was correct, once posted elsewhere, it would have been, if the information in the tech section was given.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 21
RE: Tech Problem - 12/7/2019 7:07:01 PM   
Hellen_slith

The user emailed me and indicated that the issue was resolved, and the game is now playable for him.

For others w. similar problems, feel free to contact me via email and I will try to resolve if possible.

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 12/7/2019 7:09:03 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI