Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Possible to play with AI assists / reduced micromanagement?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Possible to play with AI assists / reduced micromanagement? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Possible to play with AI assists / reduced micromanagem... - 11/26/2019 5:00:55 PM   
JamesHunt

I am interested in this but can´t tell how work intensive this game will become. I´ve seen playthroughs were players are tasked with alot of micromanagement which is something I am not looking for. Does this game come with automation / AI assist options in order to lower the workload on the player?
Post #: 1
RE: Possible to play with AI assists / reduced microman... - 11/26/2019 5:06:16 PM   
Alpha77

Sub ops and convois can be automated...but it is not the best to do so, sometimes subs just run out of fuel or continue the patrol even with heavy damage, so one needs to babysit them anyway :)

One can also automate air ops to a decree, eg. one needs to set only once a mission which the units will fullfill to the best of their ability. However there is then a danger if the situation changes... eg. a huge CV fleet comes into range of your land bases nav bombers which you had set to nav bombing. They might then fly off in fragmented strikes vs. the enemy CV CAP which easily can be 300 fighters for the Allies later in war...

Also fleets can use patrol routes which you only need to set once and they will follow the routes...

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 11/26/2019 5:07:34 PM >

(in reply to JamesHunt)
Post #: 2
RE: Possible to play with AI assists / reduced microman... - 11/26/2019 5:26:36 PM   
HansBolter

Short answer: NO!

This game is for grognards.

Hans

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 3
RE: Possible to play with AI assists / reduced microman... - 11/26/2019 5:38:55 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

Sub ops and convois can be automated...but it is not the best to do so, sometimes subs just run out of fuel or continue the patrol even with heavy damage, so one needs to babysit them anyway :)

One can also automate air ops to a decree, eg. one needs to set only once a mission which the units will fullfill to the best of their ability. However there is then a danger if the situation changes... eg. a huge CV fleet comes into range of your land bases nav bombers which you had set to nav bombing. They might then fly off in fragmented strikes vs. the enemy CV CAP which easily can be 300 fighters for the Allies later in war...

Also fleets can use patrol routes which you only need to set once and they will follow the routes...

Yes all of this can be automated like above but you will pay if you don't pay attention!

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 4
RE: Possible to play with AI assists / reduced microman... - 11/26/2019 5:47:19 PM   
Kull

In short, yes there are some things you can do to reduce the micromanagement, but it's still going to be VERY extensive. Two things:

- If you are the kind of person who tends to focus on the minutiae in your life (not talking about games, just who you are as a person), then it's hopeless. This game will suck you in and you simply won't be able to stop making just "one more tweak".

- The game just went on sale for $16.00 - that is nothing. Buy it and play around with the smaller scenarios. Very little micromanagement, but it will give you a clue as to whether this game is something you enjoy and want to explore in depth with a Grand Campaign scenario.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 5
RE: Possible to play with AI assists / reduced microman... - 11/26/2019 6:53:26 PM   
JamesHunt

Alpha77, Tanaka, Kull thanks for the provided information. I think for the current price point it won´t hurt much to try it out even when it eventually isn´t for me.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 6
RE: Possible to play with AI assists / reduced microman... - 11/26/2019 7:53:26 PM   
Enforcer

Another option is to find a partner to help you.. There are many people on the forums that have played co op.. My friend Sinjen and I have done it and I believe I have seen someone asking to play a co op game.. for instance 2vs1 or 2vs2.

The way you do it is..
1- you get the turn and do your part (whatever you and your partner agree on) and save the game DO NOT END THE TURN...
2- send the turn to your partner and he does his part, saves, and ends the turn
3- send to you opponent

Enforcer

(in reply to JamesHunt)
Post #: 7
RE: Possible to play with AI assists / reduced microman... - 11/26/2019 8:05:20 PM   
JamesHunt

For me its not about concerning the learning curve, in fact I don´t see any issue here, with the documentation and tutorials & gameplay that is to be found off- and online.

I´ve decided to go for it and purchased it.

< Message edited by JamesHunt -- 11/26/2019 8:09:36 PM >

(in reply to Enforcer)
Post #: 8
RE: Possible to play with AI assists / reduced microman... - 11/26/2019 8:40:42 PM   
Enforcer

it is a great game... My suggestion for co op is jkust to be able to split up the turn so it is not so daunting

(in reply to JamesHunt)
Post #: 9
RE: Possible to play with AI assists / reduced microman... - 11/27/2019 12:52:37 AM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: JamesHunt

For me its not about concerning the learning curve, in fact I don´t see any issue here, with the documentation and tutorials & gameplay that is to be found off- and online.

Welcome aboard, James!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to JamesHunt)
Post #: 10
RE: Possible to play with AI assists / reduced microman... - 11/27/2019 5:16:22 AM   
rockmedic109

Use CS Convoys.

Stay away from the rest. Let me repeat.....Stay away from the rest!!!!!

Sub ops will automate itself to a point with using set patrol way points. They'll head back to base when out of fuel or ammo. They'll loose these waypoints when they disband in a base for refit or repair.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 11
RE: Possible to play with AI assists / reduced microman... - 11/27/2019 5:20:15 AM   
rockmedic109

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: JamesHunt

Welcome aboard, James!

I've heard it described as a learning cliff but I just don't see it. It is self-evident enough and makes enough sense that I didn't find it difficult to learn {Notice that was learn....not master}.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 12
RE: Possible to play with AI assists / reduced microman... - 11/27/2019 7:28:55 AM   
L0ckAndL0ad

LOL, I was dreaming about having some person play for me when I simply give orders on what to do while still reading through reports. That would be some great automation indeed!

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Possible to play with AI assists / reduced micromanagement? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI