Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

When Distant Worlds Universe Crashes to Desktop

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> When Distant Worlds Universe Crashes to Desktop Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
When Distant Worlds Universe Crashes to Desktop - 11/25/2019 1:16:23 PM   
rjord1

After a lot of modding this past weekend, I suddenly got into a situation that took 2 days to resolve.

During testing of the mod, I started off by building a small base. Once that was complete, I built an exploration ship...... and then bang!!!! the game crashed to desktop.

I checked the error logs and it was coming up with an error in my Star Wars mod about something happening specifically with the Galactic Empire files..... however, the error message did not say what the problem was.

I checked my mod and there were no issues..... all I could see was that the error had something to do with pirates..... which I was not playing as.

I went back to backups from several months ago..... each one crashed..... this was making no sense.

I deleted the file Distantworlds.exe and got Steam to rebuild it .... the game still crashed seconds after building a ship.

It became frustrating because I couldn't see where the problem was.

Then I tried something different ..... instead of running the game from the desktop icon I started it from the game folder..... no more crashes.

I could have cried..... the problem was somehow related to the desktop shortcut itself that I have being using for 6 months or more.

So.... if anyone is having issues with Distant Worlds Universe crashing or coming up with one error or another, try running the game from the folder and not from the desktop..... it could save you days of frustration.

Post #: 1
RE: When Distant Worlds Universe Crashes to Desktop - 11/25/2019 2:43:05 PM   
ArchMike

Thanks for the tip

(in reply to rjord1)
Post #: 2
RE: When Distant Worlds Universe Crashes to Desktop - 11/25/2019 3:24:02 PM   
rjord1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ArchMike

Thanks for the tip

The crazy thing is that now the desktop link runs the mod without crashing..... I am wondering if the issue may have been resolved when I logged out of Windows and logged back in.....

(in reply to ArchMike)
Post #: 3
RE: When Distant Worlds Universe Crashes to Desktop - 11/26/2019 2:57:40 AM   
ElanaAhova_slith

Did you reset the registry items DW:U used? With many games (although I don't know if DW:U is one of them) left over registry items from a previous install (or mod) sometimes screws up the now install.

Do as you would be done by.

(in reply to rjord1)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> When Distant Worlds Universe Crashes to Desktop Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI