US Dodge WC62 1.5 ton tr
In late 1939 the U.S. Army standardized five classes of trucks: 1/2-ton, 1 1/2-ton, 2 1/2-ton, 4-ton, and 7 1/2-ton. In 1940 the Army revised its range of standard, payload-based, general-purpose truck classes. Although 428,196 of the 1 1/2-tonner had been built by 1945, it was largely superseded in the cargo-carrying role in U.S. units by the more versatile 2 1/2-tonner; consequently many were built with specialized bodies and fittings for use by the Signal Corps, engineers, etc.
The Quartermaster General wanted to start direct negotiations with Dodge, GM and Mack for certain models immediately, but not until after February 1941 could the Quartermaster Corps choose manufacturers directly, based on their engineering and production capabilities. One deciding factor had to do with availability of certain critical components, like transfer cases and especially constant-velocity joints, not used much on commercial trucks, but all-wheel drive vehicles all needed these; plus additionally, they would use two or three times the amount of driven axles, meaning more gears to cut for all the differentials. Produced up to the war by a few specialized firms with limited capacity, from spring 1942 Ford, Dodge and Chevrolet joined in fabricating these in mass quantity, with Dodge's experience in making quality, precision parts dating back from the earliest beginnings of the company.
The Dodge 6x6 1.5-TON WC62 is a cross-country transport intended for the carriage of goods and personnel which was produced between 1942 and 1945. The Dodge 6x6 had a open cabin and a open back cargo space. Version WC62 did not have a winch in the front, but version WC63 had a winch. Dodge 6x6 was used by US Army, US Navy, the Marines and the US Air Force during the Second World War.
The WC-62 is part of Dodge's famous WC-series of military trucks produced during World War II. Unlike other WC models, the WC-62 (along with its winch-equipped "brother", the WC-63) ran on six wheels instead of four. This change was primarily done to accommodate the U.S. Army's larger rifle squads (enlarged at some point during 1942 or 1943). The WC-62 can carry up to 17 soldiers or 3,300 lbs (1,500 kg) of cargo.
The WC-62 was powered by a 92 hp Dodge T214 six-cylinder engine. The truck could be powered by four of its wheels or all six. The vehicle was 5.47 meters long, 2.11 meters wide, and could be up to 2.21 meters tall (if fitted with a canvas roof). Total weight was 3,141 kg.
The WC-62 was produced during 1943 with a total of 23,092 trucks being built. 6,344 WC-62s and WC-63s were exported to America's allies during World War II, such as Free France and Britain. One or two WC-62s were converted into experimental T-230 (Dodge technical code) armored cars which would have been armed with Maxson anti-aircraft turrets. This design, however, never got past the prototype stage.