Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A couple of cool things I just noticed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> A couple of cool things I just noticed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A couple of cool things I just noticed - 11/21/2019 1:32:11 AM   
fatgreta1066

The first one is probably not news to anyone, but I just noticed that when the map display is set to show all missions it superimposes the mission name on the map! That is awesome!

It also takes away the need for me to do the thing that caused me to notice the second cool thing, but I'll say it anyway. Because I tend to play complex scenarios and set up a lot of missions, I have a lot of reference points. Because there didn't used to be a way to distinguish which RP were for which missions in some cases where there's a lot of mission clutter, I often manually rename my RPs (things like CAP South or Tankers). That is fine but kind of tedious. In CMANO, I'd Ctr+R, rename, then copy the name I just gave it to the clipboard. Then I'd manually select the next reference point for the mission and Ctr+R to rename it, and rename it by pasting the just copied name over the original RP-1080 or whatever it was. So here is the second cool thing: In CMO, every time I hit Ctr+R the name of the RP is already selected so I can just hit Ctr+V to paste, no need to manually select the RP name first, as was usually the case in CMANO. I don't even know if any of that made sense, but it was a cool change for the way I play the game so I thought I'd than the Devs in case it was intentional.

BUT - all of that is rendered moot by cool thing #1, which is much much much much much much much cooler than cool thing #2 (which was pretty cool in its own right).
Post #: 1
RE: A couple of cool things I just noticed - 11/21/2019 2:15:43 AM   
Stardog765

Sounds cool but where do you see it showing the mission name on the map? And are you talking about the mission options in the drop down map display menu?

Just curious, thanks!

(in reply to fatgreta1066)
Post #: 2
RE: A couple of cool things I just noticed - 11/21/2019 3:45:34 AM   
LMychajluk

You'll see the Mission name in the center of the area.

I think this only works for Patrol Missions, and they have to have an 'area' (can't just be 2 waypoints).

It also seems AAW patrols show pink, ground and surface patrols show red, and ASW Patrol areas show in green. Unfortunately, the name of the Mission is in the same color as the area shading, making it hard to see/read (actually, the text seems to be a bit translucent - it might not be so bad if the text was more opaque, even in the same color).

(in reply to Stardog765)
Post #: 3
RE: A couple of cool things I just noticed - 11/21/2019 4:34:17 AM   
brdxman

Possible use of interface that I like:

Playing Barents Sea Boomers scenario, basically hunting down two boomers.
Received a heads up from Convergence Zone about 35nm away of a goblin going 12 knots obviously a sub but whose and what kind, hunter killer or a boomer? Using that 1 knot is approximately 1nm distance traveled per hour, I figured that to get a good spot I would need to be within 15nm or so of target, so I needed to close about 20nm to get my spot. He is going 12kn and I could dive to the bottom and easily get 22kn so I figured 2 hours run time to get within spotting distance. This is where the time running buttons at the bottom come in very handy, I ran 15min 4 times, popped back above the layer at 4kn waited for a spot for 5mins(used the 5mins button) no spot as I figured 25nm too far, but if he had changed course or slowed down I figured I might become aware of such. So dropped back down to the bottom again 22kn for another 4 pushes of the 15min button, popped back up above the layer at 4kn and there he was 16nm away and I got a type spot SSBN, exactly what I wanted although it was still an area spot not good enough to launch missile dc at him. So I decided if I wanted to launch I needed to be within 6nm of target that would give me both a torpedo or missile option. Did the same process again for one hour and popped back up and there he was an exact spot at 6.5nm away, fired a missle and a torpedo just to be safe, then dove and ran. One less soviet boomer!
Time span button was very handy as I could walk away for a bit as well.

(in reply to LMychajluk)
Post #: 4
RE: A couple of cool things I just noticed - 11/21/2019 5:27:36 AM   
Rory Noonan

quote:

ORIGINAL: brdxman

Possible use of interface that I like:

Playing Barents Sea Boomers scenario, basically hunting down two boomers.
Received a heads up from Convergence Zone about 35nm away of a goblin going 12 knots obviously a sub but whose and what kind, hunter killer or a boomer? Using that 1 knot is approximately 1nm distance traveled per hour, I figured that to get a good spot I would need to be within 15nm or so of target, so I needed to close about 20nm to get my spot. He is going 12kn and I could dive to the bottom and easily get 22kn so I figured 2 hours run time to get within spotting distance. This is where the time running buttons at the bottom come in very handy, I ran 15min 4 times, popped back above the layer at 4kn waited for a spot for 5mins(used the 5mins button) no spot as I figured 25nm too far, but if he had changed course or slowed down I figured I might become aware of such. So dropped back down to the bottom again 22kn for another 4 pushes of the 15min button, popped back up above the layer at 4kn and there he was 16nm away and I got a type spot SSBN, exactly what I wanted although it was still an area spot not good enough to launch missile dc at him. So I decided if I wanted to launch I needed to be within 6nm of target that would give me both a torpedo or missile option. Did the same process again for one hour and popped back up and there he was an exact spot at 6.5nm away, fired a missle and a torpedo just to be safe, then dove and ran. One less soviet boomer!
Time span button was very handy as I could walk away for a bit as well.

Nice! This is exactly the kind of thing the time stepping feature was added for.

(in reply to brdxman)
Post #: 5
RE: A couple of cool things I just noticed - 11/21/2019 9:58:17 AM   
thewood1

I hvae found the time stepping feature, combined with the interactive messages, one of the biggest upgrades. I can acutually check email and come back and quickly get my situational awareness back.

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 6
RE: A couple of cool things I just noticed - 11/21/2019 2:19:35 PM   
mikerohan

quote:

time stepping feature, combined with the interactive messages, one of the biggest upgrades

I totally agree. It's a great improvement.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 7
RE: A couple of cool things I just noticed - 11/21/2019 3:07:15 PM   
thewood1

It almost makes it like a wego game, but in single player.

(in reply to mikerohan)
Post #: 8
RE: A couple of cool things I just noticed - 11/21/2019 3:44:37 PM   
BrianinMinnie

Can you guys explain again how I should be using the Time stepping buttons at the bottom of the display vs the "flame speed" option below 5x?
I just noticed those last night.......

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 9
RE: A couple of cool things I just noticed - 11/21/2019 6:30:49 PM   
brdxman

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrianinMinnie

Can you guys explain again how I should be using the Time stepping buttons at the bottom of the display vs the "flame speed" option below 5x?

Hi BrianinMinnie,

Welcome to the game!

The button at the top gives you different accelerated simulation times, I believe the flame speed is 15 times normal speed.

The buttons at the bottom 15sec, 1min, 5min, 15min will run off that much time at the simulation speed you have picked at the top and then pause the game after that much simulation time has elapsed.
In order to use the bottom buttons the simulation needs to be paused.

You can use these buttons together as I did to work through timing events you want to deal with, or just to give you a few minutes to walk away from the simulation. In the old days we only had the accelerated simulation time button so you would have to rely on popup messages to pause the game and if you did not have the messages set correctly you could miss some critical events like your sub being attacked and sunk as you were gone or the simulation happening so fast that you again missed the attack and well your day was ruined.

Both buttons can work together to allow you simulate quickly through some boring parts, and hopefully give you a chance to deal with the cool stuff(by pausing at the correct time), like attacking and blowing the boomer out of the water.

-Rick

(in reply to BrianinMinnie)
Post #: 10
RE: A couple of cool things I just noticed - 11/22/2019 2:31:02 PM   
fatgreta1066

quote:

ORIGINAL: brdxman

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrianinMinnie

Hi BrianinMinnie,

Welcome to the game!

The button at the top gives you different accelerated simulation times, I believe the flame speed is 15 times normal speed.

The buttons at the bottom 15sec, 1min, 5min, 15min will run off that much time at the simulation speed you have picked at the top and then pause the game after that much simulation time has elapsed.
In order to use the bottom buttons the simulation needs to be paused.

You can use these buttons together as I did to work through timing events you want to deal with, or just to give you a few minutes to walk away from the simulation. In the old days we only had the accelerated simulation time button so you would have to rely on popup messages to pause the game and if you did not have the messages set correctly you could miss some critical events like your sub being attacked and sunk as you were gone or the simulation happening so fast that you again missed the attack and well your day was ruined.

Both buttons can work together to allow you simulate quickly through some boring parts, and hopefully give you a chance to deal with the cool stuff(by pausing at the correct time), like attacking and blowing the boomer out of the water.

-Rick

Just to be clear, it's not foolproof. I just had a sub sunk while using time step! ;-)

BUT - the time step option is TOTALLY AWESOME and I hadn't realized it was there until it was mentioned here. My favorite new feature so far.

(in reply to brdxman)
Post #: 11
RE: A couple of cool things I just noticed - 11/22/2019 2:53:29 PM   
kevinkins

I agree with brdxman, the time step is useful for testing AI behavior when designing by allowing you to walk away from the PC and get some minor chores done. If you get distracted the scenario stops running at the selected time point. You could do this before with an event. But it's now straight forward. I am tempted to try using it in some form of multiplayer based on agreed upon procedures to ensure FOW.

Kevin

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to fatgreta1066)
Post #: 12
RE: A couple of cool things I just noticed - 11/22/2019 3:08:57 PM   
thewood1

Don't forget that you can still use interrupts. I keep them on for weapon detection so time stops regardless.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> A couple of cool things I just noticed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI