Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How's the AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> How's the AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How's the AI - 11/16/2019 10:58:49 PM   
ChuckBerger

This game looks interesting, and I'm willing to overlook a lot in strategic WW2 wargames. But AI is a game-maker, or game-breaker for me.

The one thing about the Wargamer review that really gave me pause is the review of the game's AI. The summary is that it does OK once units are lined-up face to face on a battle from, but that the strategic AI is basically incompetent.

I mostly play single-player these days, and don't have much interest in buying a game with an AI that won't provide a plausible opponent as a whole, so I'm inclined to give WarPlan a miss.

But thought I'd check in with devs and users here first, before I write it off entirely.
Post #: 1
RE: How's the AI - 11/17/2019 1:30:00 AM   
gwgardner

I find the AI competent on the higher difficulty levels. I've seen comments here from players who've completed the 1939 Campaign scenario, on normal difficulty, and they say the AI gave them a fight. I've also seen AARs where the human player whipped up on the AI pretty badly, on the highest difficulty level.

On higher difficulty levels the AI gets experience and supply advantages, but otherwise plays by the same rules. That supply issue is what makes the game tick. It's related to unit 'effectiveness.' Higher effectiveness encourages the AI to be bolder and more stalwart. Lower effectiveness tends to make it less willing to take risks. A simple example from my tests: on normal difficulty, it can take the AI 5 or 6 turns to take Poland; on highest difficulty, the AI will take Poland in two turns.

I suspect there will be changes/improvements to the AI on a continuing basis. The developer seems dedicated to the long-term.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 11/17/2019 1:34:47 AM >

(in reply to ChuckBerger)
Post #: 2
RE: How's the AI - 11/17/2019 8:57:44 AM   
tyronec

I have played the game twice as Axis against the AI. The first time on moderate difficulty settings and was winning too easily so abandoned the game. The second time on hardest difficulty; it was tough going during '39 and '40 but once the USSR was attacked in '41 they folded without too much of a struggle and the game was won - the AAR is up on the forum.
Having said that Alvaro reports he is working on the AI and difficulty levels and things may be more challenging in the future.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 3
RE: How's the AI - 11/17/2019 9:11:38 AM   
basilstaghare

My first '39 game as Axis (v1.0) on Historical settings was a walkover and overran much of Russia by late '41 and decided to restart with the latest patch (v1.00.02.01)...Set the AI to Seasoned/Experienced and find it much more challenging...that game is still going...Spring '42 and the Russians are still putting up a good fight...

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 4
RE: How's the AI - 11/25/2019 3:04:18 PM   
elmo3

The game has been out a while now so how are folks finding the AI? Any improvements since launch? Does it do well on attack and can it make a coherent plan? Thanks.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to basilstaghare)
Post #: 5
RE: How's the AI - 11/25/2019 3:16:17 PM   
Alvaro Sousa

To be clear no game of this complexity can have an A.I. that can beat a human. Not HOI, not SC, not WITE. It is just not possibly currently. There is too much complexity. Even the CIV series which has a vast team of people behind it doesn't have a good military A.I.

I do the best I can with improving the A.I. each go around. So some changes were recently made to how it acts. It is ALWAYS improving. A.I. is just not as efficient as a human player.

If you are an amazing player you will always beat the A.I. There is even a story I read of a game that had an impossible level. The developer said no one would beat the A.I. at this level. Someone did. Even here I thought it would be very hard to beat the A.I. at Ubermensch level with Optimal supply and tyronec did.

Games worked on

Designer of the Strategic Command 2 products
- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

Designer of the Strategic Command 3 products
- Map Image Importer

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 6
RE: How's the AI - 11/25/2019 4:36:57 PM   
elmo3

Thanks Alvaro. I'm not looking for Deep Blue (chess computer) level play. Just hoping the AI does not make too many obvious blunders. Chris Park said if anyone beats his game (AI War 2) on level 10 he will consider it a bug and fix it so it doesn't happen again!

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Alvaro Sousa)
Post #: 7
RE: How's the AI - 11/25/2019 6:02:54 PM   
Alvaro Sousa

I would love a neural net Alpha Go computer to learn WarPlan and play it.

Games worked on

- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

- Map Image Importer

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 8
RE: How's the AI - 11/25/2019 7:01:39 PM   
elmo3

Well if you can write a deep learning program to play WarPlan I think you could get rich!

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Alvaro Sousa)
Post #: 9
RE: How's the AI - 11/25/2019 7:41:53 PM   
Alvaro Sousa

If I could write a deep neural net I would be working at Google getting rich.

Games worked on

- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

- Map Image Importer

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> How's the AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI