Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

This game looks promising

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> This game looks promising Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
This game looks promising - 11/16/2019 7:21:55 AM   
PanzerMike

This game is looking good. Impressive for what is basically a one man operation (kudos to you, Alvaro!). I have watched a number of videos of the game and this game may be just what this old wargamer is looking for.

My first computer wargame was Eastern Front on my Atari 800XL and many followed. On the shelves I have still have many bookcase games (Avalon Hill, Victory, etc.) that are sadly no longer played. Warplan reminds me a lot of much that is good about those games.

I am, however, still on the fence. Bugs still need to be squashed and refinements to be made. When I buy a game, I am in it for the long haul and I want to be sure the game is up for it.

What do you think, is it "good enough" in its current state (with another patch in the making)? Or maybe wait a little while for it to first mature some more?
Post #: 1
RE: This game looks promising - 11/16/2019 1:12:02 PM   
Okayrun3254

quote:

ORIGINAL: PanzerMike

This game is looking good. Impressive for what is basically a one man operation (kudos to you, Alvaro!). I have watched a number of videos of the game and this game may be just what this old wargamer is looking for.

My first computer wargame was Eastern Front on my Atari 800XL and many followed. On the shelves I have still have many bookcase games (Avalon Hill, Victory, etc.) that are sadly no longer played. Warplan reminds me a lot of much that is good about those games.

I am, however, still on the fence. Bugs still need to be squashed and refinements to be made. When I buy a game, I am in it for the long haul and I want to be sure the game is up for it.

What do you think, is it "good enough" in its current state (with another patch in the making)? Or maybe wait a little while for it to first mature some more?

I purchased War Plan, and I am just getting started learning the game. I spend most of my gaming time playing tactical, or smaller scale operational games, but I am looking forward to learning to play a strategic level game.
I too had Eastern Front on the Atari 800XL. That was a really good game for its time, and required me to learn new strategy skills to defeat the AI. Very good AI for the time I might add.

(in reply to PanzerMike)
Post #: 2
RE: This game looks promising - 11/16/2019 2:40:38 PM   
Alvaro Sousa

I beat you both. I had Eastern Front on an Atari 800.

patch 1.00.03 is ready. Matrix just has to update their side.

Games worked on

Designer of the Strategic Command 2 products
- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

Designer of the Strategic Command 3 products
- Map Image Importer

(in reply to Okayrun3254)
Post #: 3
RE: This game looks promising - 11/16/2019 2:48:44 PM   
tyronec

It is definitely good enough for a very enjoyable game at present.

Would rate the different aspects of the game:
Ground war - as good as anything else I've played on this scale, simple but with some subtlety
Air war - Good. Simple and works well.
Naval war. Excellent.
Production. A bit like HoI, Good.
Logistics. All working fine for the games I've played so far.
Playability. A lot of fun and most things seem logical, so quick to pick up and start playing. A bit addictive to getting on to the next move.
AI. Not the strongest, hopefully will improve with time.

(in reply to Okayrun3254)
Post #: 4
RE: This game looks promising - 11/16/2019 4:24:44 PM   
MOS96B2P

quote:

This game is very good. It reminds me of the old board game Rise and Decline of the Third Reich. I played WarPlan completely through as Axis, 1939 start, difficulty; historical, on the original version before any patches and very much enjoyed it. It is even better now. Next patch should be out Monday. One very positive thing about this game is the support from the developer, Alvaro. As you look through the forum you will see he is very active, answering questions and improving the game. Can't go wrong with this one.

I would buy now. Practice and experiment with it over the weekend. Ask about any questions on the forum. Then on Monday download the newest patch v1.00.03 and start the Europe 1939 campaign.

(in reply to PanzerMike)
Post #: 5
RE: This game looks promising - 11/16/2019 6:04:58 PM   
GibClaret80

Yes i got it today and have been playing it's addictive and simple as of now. Not paid much attention to production though currently i'm Axis in March 1940. Took Poland easy in 2 turns and then Holland and starting on Belgium now. Can you ferry troops on train lines instead of moving them each turn to get to where you want them ??

(in reply to MOS96B2P)
Post #: 6
RE: This game looks promising - 11/16/2019 6:24:45 PM   
Lascar

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOS96B2P

quote:

This game is very good. It reminds me of the old board game Rise and Decline of the Third Reich. I played WarPlan completely through as Axis, 1939 start, difficulty; historical, on the original version before any patches and very much enjoyed it. It is even better now. Next patch should be out Monday. One very positive thing about this game is the support from the developer, Alvaro. As you look through the forum you will see he is very active, answering questions and improving the game. Can't go wrong with this one.

I would buy now. Practice and experiment with it over the weekend. Ask about any questions on the forum. Then on Monday download the newest patch v1.00.03 and start the Europe 1939 campaign.

I agree, the support from Alvaro is one of the strongest selling points for WarPlan. It gives you confidence that this game, which has great fundamentals, will reach its full potential over time.

< Message edited by Lascar -- 11/16/2019 6:49:58 PM >

(in reply to MOS96B2P)
Post #: 7
RE: This game looks promising - 11/16/2019 6:31:04 PM   
IslandInland

I bought the game a few days ago and I'm enjoying it a lot. It's my favourite grand strategy game and I prefer it to the Strategic Command series even though they are good games.

I saw generals create imaginary "masses of manoeuvre" with a crayon and dispose of enemy concentrations, that were on the ground and on the map, with an eraser. Who was I to criticise them, hero as I was of a hundred "Chinagraph wars" of make-believe?

(in reply to Lascar)
Post #: 8
RE: This game looks promising - 11/16/2019 6:46:09 PM   
VonWulfen

It's a great game even now. Easy to pick up the mechanics, and start playing straight of the bat.
It also has depth, specializing ground units for different uses such as antitank, winter warfare, etc, etc.
The developer is active in the community and is open to implementing requested features etc.
I have a feeling this game will become something special :)

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 9
RE: This game looks promising - 11/16/2019 10:46:43 PM   
Hairog

quote:

ORIGINAL: GibClaret80

Yes i got it today and have been playing it's addictive and simple as of now. Not paid much attention to production though currently i'm Axis in March 1940. Took Poland easy in 2 turns and then Holland and starting on Belgium now. Can you ferry troops on train lines instead of moving them each turn to get to where you want them ??

quote:

Can you ferry troops on train lines instead of moving them each turn to get to where you want them ??

Yes

Attachment (1)

World War Three 1946 Books
SC3 EAW WW Three 1946 Mod
SC3 WAW Comm Mod Naval War
WarPlan Beta

(in reply to GibClaret80)
Post #: 10
RE: This game looks promising - 11/16/2019 10:55:27 PM   
ChuckBerger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alvaro Sousa

I can at least tie. Midway Campaign on a Vic-20! ASCII graphics!

(in reply to Alvaro Sousa)
Post #: 11
RE: This game looks promising - 11/17/2019 1:02:35 AM   
ago1000

Great game. Easy to learn but difficult to master. Thank you.

(in reply to ChuckBerger)
Post #: 12
RE: This game looks promising - 11/17/2019 12:17:10 PM   
GibClaret80

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hairog

quote:

ORIGINAL: GibClaret80

quote:

Can you ferry troops on train lines instead of moving them each turn to get to where you want them ??

Yes

Thankyou amazing.

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 13
RE: This game looks promising - 11/17/2019 4:13:25 PM   
Alvaro Sousa

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChuckBerger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alvaro Sousa

I can at least tie. Midway Campaign on a Vic-20! ASCII graphics!

Damn you beat me. I had Midway Campaign on the Atari 800. Vic 20 holy crap I remember those.

Games worked on

- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

- Map Image Importer

(in reply to ChuckBerger)
Post #: 14
RE: This game looks promising - 11/21/2019 10:20:18 AM   
PanzerMike

Ok, I made the jump. Seeing the great effort Alvaro is putting in and the numerous videos/tutorials I have watched on Youtube, I consider this a game worthy of purchase.
Let the learning begin :-)

Post #: 15
RE: This game looks promising - 11/21/2019 11:01:15 AM   
Alvaro Sousa

Post any questions.

Games worked on

- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

- Map Image Importer

(in reply to PanzerMike)
Post #: 16
RE: This game looks promising - 11/22/2019 6:06:14 AM   
sfbaytf

I had no interest in this. I own Strategic Command WiE and Global War as well as all Gary Grigsby games. I was watching youtube and decided to watch a video about this and didn't take long for me to become very interested in it. From what I saw as well as what others have said, this fits nicely between SC and G Grisby style of games. From the youtube videos I watched so far, the concept of being able to stack naval units, air units that don't suffer 50% or even get completely destroyed after 1 round of combat like SC makes this different.

The one big negative on 1 review was you can't play just 1 nation and it can be overwhelming to have to manage every nation if you play the allieds.Since I'm now just downloading the game and don't know much about it, I don't know if that's been changed or is planned to be changed.

It does look like the Pacific theater is being worked on...

anyway I'm happy to toss down $39 and give this a try,as it does look very interesting.

Post #: 17
RE: This game looks promising - 11/22/2019 8:42:41 AM   
PanzerMike

I played SC2 Blitzkrieg some years ago, but never really got into it. The Grigsby games I never purchased. They look mighty impressive, but are simply too overwhelming to my taste. I did play a lot of HOI2/AOD/DH and like that a lot, flaws and all. Hoi III I own, but never played. Hoi IV is too fundamentally flawed from what I can tell (do not own it though).

Warplan seems to hit a sweetspot somewhere in the middle of said games. I am learning to play it, the system feels elegant. It plays smoothly.

I do not fully understand everything yet, but that will come. So far, I like it a lot. I am looking forward to further improvements by Alvaro, who thoroughly supports his game up till now.

This game deserves to be a succes as far as I am concerned.

I do think the game could do with a bit of "chrome" (I am a sucker for that). Of course the core game needs to be as solid as possible first (and we are getting there as far as I can see), but a some chrome will add to the immersion. Just my 0,02.

< Message edited by PanzerMike -- 11/22/2019 8:43:34 AM >

(in reply to sfbaytf)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> This game looks promising Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI