Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suggestion on Fog of War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Suggestion on Fog of War Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suggestion on Fog of War - 11/15/2019 10:18:42 PM   
toddtreadway

I think it would be a good idea to have an option to turn Fog of War off.

Also, another option to show detail of a unit by hovering over it. This would allow player to actually see the results of attacks (exactly what they do). It would help players learn the game.
Post #: 1
RE: Suggestion on Fog of War - 11/15/2019 10:45:05 PM   
AlvaroSousa

There is a hover over a unit that shows some information.

If FoW is off it drastically impacts game play. WarPlan game mechanics are also based on incomplete information to better simulate the recon of war.

Games worked on

Designer of the Strategic Command 2 products
- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

Designer of the Strategic Command 3 products
- Map Image Importer

(in reply to toddtreadway)
Post #: 2
RE: Suggestion on Fog of War - 11/16/2019 12:20:04 AM   
scout1

FOW for the historical board games was non existent unless your opponent allowed you to dig into each stack of counters … not likely …. From a land based game, FOW is "less" important and arguably correct to an extent for lots of reasons … for sea based assets, this becomes more of an issue, particularly if your looking at the expanses in the Pacific or central Atlantic …..

Post #: 3
RE: Suggestion on Fog of War - 11/16/2019 10:30:28 AM   
toddtreadway

The thing I am interested in is players being able to see "behind the curtain," thus being able to see how attacks really work, etc.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 4
RE: Suggestion on Fog of War - 11/16/2019 3:53:52 PM   
TrogusP96

Scout1 makes a good point on the naval and maybe air aspects. And naval and air kills were often if not always over stated. Alvaro has been pretty daring to restrict our knowledge so much. I'm sympathetic to todd's comment as an old board gamer who is used to combat results tables. Alvaro going the other way where you have to learn the table is an approach that has some legitimacy and reflects a recon value. Maybe there should be a recon factor for land. Is that part of deception?

Post #: 5
RE: Suggestion on Fog of War - 11/17/2019 4:43:41 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Ok in land say this is December 1944 near the German border. The Allied player thinks the Axis are screwed. Behind the lines they see 2 unidentified land units. They think ok this is another line of defense Germany is forming. But it is not. These are 2 pulled high experience armor corps from the Russian front that have been slowly fed supply trucks during the winter. They gave them both infiltrator specialty.

The Allies thin their line a little to pull some off road units on to rail hexes to save oil and keep effectiveness a little higher on the higher map supply. Now the Axis attack through the Ardennes Forest.

In a board game you clearly see the 12-6 SS 1st Panzer Corps waiting behind the lines lol.

Also unknown units don't show sizes.

Does Narvik have a division or corps garrisoning it? Is it at half strength or full strength?

You don't see action lines in low recon. So you don't know which units moved where.

Games worked on

Designer of the Strategic Command 2 products
- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

Designer of the Strategic Command 3 products
- Map Image Importer

(in reply to TrogusP96)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Suggestion on Fog of War Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI