Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Was it too early for CMO?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Was it too early for CMO? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Was it too early for CMO? - 11/18/2019 1:27:38 PM   
Ekaton

I see some decrease in performance, but the biggest problem, as noted in another topic, is new maps - they glitch all the time and are generally hard to use. Here's an example.

I need ten females for each male...

(in reply to LargeDiameterBomb)
Post #: 31
RE: Was it too early for CMO? - 12/9/2019 5:32:44 PM   
Dimitris

We released a new update that, among other things, aims to drastically improve tile loading: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4730735

Post #: 32
RE: Was it too early for CMO? - 12/9/2019 8:05:46 PM   
Monkie

I can see quite a big difference so far, loading much faster, thank you.

Is it still in the works to allow users more control over the cache size and location to avoid overfilling disk space?

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 33
RE: Was it too early for CMO? - 12/10/2019 9:55:15 AM   
Dimitris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkie
Is it still in the works to allow users more control over the cache size and location to avoid overfilling disk space?

Yes. We are also taking some other steps to reduce the disk footprint (and download bandwidth) of the map tiles.

(in reply to Monkie)
Post #: 34
RE: Was it too early for CMO? - 12/10/2019 7:43:03 PM   
TheCabal

@morphin... I know it may sound weird but... do you perhaps have the specific sound enhancer "Nahimic" installed on your new laptop? => DEINSTALL IT ASAP!

Post #: 35
RE: Was it too early for CMO? - 12/10/2019 8:30:47 PM   
morphin

Thank's. not installed. New version has improved, but artefacts are still here and hence i do still use only BMNG Layer and borders. This is also mostly enough to run the game smoothly
The developpers are working hard to improve it but neverless if i were the lead developper i wouldn't go public with this state....(There quite a lot of things that should not happen, for another example double click on scenario browser opens two times the database viewer screen and other issues are already mentioned on the tech forum).
It seems that a discussion i had twenty years ago on a software developpment workshop as our teacher told us how NASA developped software in these old days and of course nobody has the resource to do this way....

But i do not complain and i'm very excited to see further improvements

(in reply to TheCabal)
Post #: 36
RE: Was it too early for CMO? - 12/10/2019 9:50:16 PM   
thewood1

"But i do not complain" Really?

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 37
RE: Was it too early for CMO? - 12/10/2019 10:18:38 PM   
Darren_H_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

"But i do not complain" Really?

If anything it's obvious most of us have a great love of CMANO. We're offered a 50% discount to be basically beta-testers - which is fine by me. I think morphin has been very complimentary but also critical. How else will the product move forward? With a small team like this, it has to be that criticism, observations, and gripes be aired. And yes, sometimes we're misinformed or mistaken.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 38
RE: Was it too early for CMO? - 12/10/2019 10:39:43 PM   
thewood1

Its more the start and end of his posts are complaints and then he says he isn't complaining. Complain all you want. Just don't try to then deny what you are doing. Stick with your beliefs.

(in reply to Darren_H_slith)
Post #: 39
RE: Was it too early for CMO? - 12/10/2019 10:43:26 PM   
guanotwozero

Any complex software project will have initial glitches - it was the same in the early days of CMANO. Many of these only become apparent when a small group of in-house testers vastly expands to the much larger number of initial customers.

If CMO had been delayed until later, then that expanded glitch-fixing process wouldn't have begun until then.

So no, I don't believe it's too early for CMO.

(in reply to Darren_H_slith)
Post #: 40
RE: Was it too early for CMO? - 12/10/2019 11:20:57 PM   
Rosseau

Let's remember who runs the show - the publishers, not the developers. And they may have released a few games "too early" now.

guanotwozero makes an excellent point above. One can choose to be a beta tester on some titles and pay full price. After buying from Matrix since its inception, I now choose to wait probably less than a year and get a patched up, modded up, game at maybe half price. It's the Steam paradigm.

The positive thing is CMO will not be abandoned. Neither will WarPlan, Airborne Brigade, SC3 Series, CC:TBF etc. So when I do pick up CMO it will be an even better game at a better price.

In the meantime, we thank our unpaid beta testers who bought-in on release day like I used to do. They are helping improve the game and also keeping that initial money flowing to support further development.

(in reply to guanotwozero)
Post #: 41
RE: Was it too early for CMO? - 12/11/2019 6:07:26 AM   
guanotwozero

Very true. There are plenty of games out there where I'll happily wait a year or two for bug fixes, price drops and general maturity, but for this one - no way! I think everyone has an affinity for certain types of games that they just have to get on Day One.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 42
RE: Was it too early for CMO? - 12/11/2019 9:38:07 AM   
morphin

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Its more the start and end of his posts are complaints and then he says he isn't complaining. Complain all you want. Just don't try to then deny what you are doing. Stick with your beliefs.

I'm not native english speaker and i had a quick search for the word "complaints" in a dictionary and also read my statements again. My intent was in the direction of ascertain and ask the community for their experience. Complain in the dictonary is very negative word and that was never my intent to express this way. But i can understand that it is possible to interpret my posts in this way. So I'm sorry if i choose the wrong words
Thank's
Andy

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 43
RE: Was it too early for CMO? - 12/11/2019 12:10:44 PM   
Dimitris

quote:

ORIGINAL: morphin
It seems that a discussion i had twenty years ago on a software developpment workshop as our teacher told us how NASA developped software in these old days and of course nobody has the resource to do this way....

Fun fact: The Space Shuttle computer's OS has two known (since the early days of the program), acknowledged and "won't fix - workaround reccomended" bugs

On the subject of quality and releases, I think DHH describes the industry better than I can: https://m.signalvnoise.com/software-has-bugs-this-is-normal/

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 12/11/2019 12:18:25 PM >

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 44
RE: Was it too early for CMO? - 12/11/2019 12:39:42 PM   
Dimitris

This discussion reminds me a bit of a similar one, in this here forum, six years ago, with pretty much the same subject (substitute CMO with CMANO).

This was my opinion back then: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3449564

I think it has held well in retrospect.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 45
RE: Was it too early for CMO? - 12/11/2019 12:55:29 PM   
Dimitris

Also, we need to keep in mind that this has been our (and Matrix/Slitherine's) most ambitious and technically-complex release ever. The no-fuss deep discount for existing users (different mechanisms for Matrix & Steam), the automatic recognition and observance of individual past DLC purchases (ditto), the (mostly) seamless integration with an external application outside our control (Tacview), a totally revised manual (go ahead and tell Colin Salt it was a trivial job ), the backend for images and map tiles, some other "hidden" stuff.... the number of "moving parts" has been unprecedented. That the release went as smoothly as it did, issues and all, has been astonishing.

So please join me in saluting the invisible heroes of this endeavor, Matrix's production, IT & tech support crews. Matt, Tamas, Bart and the gang at the Hermitage, Paulo, Joe & Valery overseas, and others. We wouldn't have this product out on the street without them. And we will rely even more on their help going forward.

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 12/11/2019 1:01:26 PM >

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 46
RE: Was it too early for CMO? - 12/11/2019 2:06:37 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dimitris
quote:

ORIGINAL: morphin

Fun fact: The Space Shuttle computer's OS has two known (since the early days of the program), acknowledged and "won't fix - workaround reccomended" bugs
On the subject of quality and releases, I think DHH describes the industry better than I can: https://m.signalvnoise.com/software-has-bugs-this-is-normal/

If I heard the rumors correctly, they have NEVER changed the code for navigation... because well, it works, and they are scared to tinker with a working product.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Was it too early for CMO? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI