HQ Combat Support

Warplan is a World War 2 simulation engine. It is a balance of realism and playability incorporating the best from 50 years of World War 2 board wargaming.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

Dougwhite53SlitherineSSL

HQ Combat Support

Post by Dougwhite53SlitherineSSL »

First, this is a great game - one that I've wanted to play for decades (yes, another board gamer from the 1970's). A very deliberate and thoughtful design that is both realistic and playable - a difficult combination to achieve - it's fun to play but has a lot of depth where it counts. That said, all of us wargamers are a quirky lot and wanna be designers - here's another idea to "throw over the wall" for consideration. Intent is to use the current design and system without too much modification (I hope).

HQ Support - Similar to air units, HQ could provide two types of combat support - general and mission. Both would work similar to the air units. General support would add 10% or so of HQ combat strength to each attack within range. Mission support would support a single attack. The range for HQ is currently set to 1 but could be changed to 2 or more in the unit attributes. To avoid gameyness and also have this as an option (this could really unbalance the current campaigns), HQ still set to range 1 would not provide combat support at all (and also avoid a player putting in a HQ as a combat unit). By setting the range for different countries at 2 or more, this would be a subtle way to reflect how flexible a country was in providing combat support (Germans would start off better but ranges of other countries would "catch up" in the advancements). This of course would also represent the large number of independent combat and combat support units at the HQ level and allow the HQ with assigned firearms, anti-tank, tanks, AA, in proportion to the combat support units typically assigned (and looks like this is already the case). We all know how much combat/support was contained at the US Army HQ level.

You may have already considered this and dropped it as providing too much combat power by the HQ so again this is just a thought. The game plays very well as is.
AlvaroSousa

RE: HQ Combat Support

Post by AlvaroSousa »

I did think about something like this just like in reality where it's sending a division or Battalion to Aid in the battle it is still something on my list ideas. I might use it in next version

Thanks for thoughts
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

Return to “WarPlan”