Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reenactment of "hypothetical historical combats" from famous cold war books?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> Reenactment of "hypothetical historical combats" from famous cold war books? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reenactment of "hypothetical historical combats&qu... - 11/11/2019 3:50:45 AM   
exsonic01

Recently someone commented in my steam screenshot that my screenshot looks like a moment from Red Army by Ralph Peters. I remember I really enjoyed that book, but it was too long ago, so I cannot recall details XP
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1903411146

Anyway, this reminds me of possibility of reenacting several famous combats from cold war books from AB. But problem might be the map I guess.

Regarding Red Storm Rising, there are very good google map info:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=1rh_rN2GMDLWxe8Z2nEfId7t5JkM&ll=51.49780001152675%2C10.098195179687536&z=6
Unfortunately, most of 'important' ground battles in Germany in RSR was around the south of Hanover. Closest AB map is 22sec's Goslar map, but even Goslar map is too east of major combat zone of RSR.
Meanwhile, RSR mentioned battle of Bieben as a key to defend the flank of Hanover front, which I think this might be the wrong information. But anyway, we could make battle of Bieben scenario as a canon battle in RSR.

Too bad I cannot recall all cold war novels I've read so far, I read those like 7~8 yrs ago. But there might be a possibility of user scenario or campaign based on The Third World War, Team Yankee, Red Army, or any other cold war novels, and sell it as "hypothetical reenactment" or "hypothetical historical" battles from hot cold war classics.

But again, map would be the issue. If there is no overlap between AB maps and literatures, then... Yet we can still rely on our imagination to create our own hot cold war story

ps) Where was the Team Yankee's Hill 214 location? might it be inside Fulda region? Or more into GDR territory and outside of AB map?

< Message edited by exsonic01 -- 11/11/2019 3:55:45 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Reenactment of "hypothetical historical combat... - 11/11/2019 11:09:18 AM   
DoubleDeuce

I never read Team Yankee but could certainly do some research. Maps would be an issue depending where the book takes place especially if much of it was generalized. I do know they were a company size unit which is similar in makeup to the scenario's I'm doing with my Team Delta/ Task Force 2/68 Armor although mine is an Armor Company (+ attached Mech Infantry platoon).

(in reply to exsonic01)
Post #: 2
RE: Reenactment of "hypothetical historical combat... - 11/12/2019 2:17:59 AM   
HalfLifeExpert

I've been reading The Third World War by John Hackett and I've been considering making a scenario of the first clash between US and Soviet forces, in Yugoslavia. I think the town fought over might be in the Italy-Yugoslavia map, although the USMC is not explicitly modeled in Armored Brigade, I'd just have to improvise with Army units.

EDIT: I just checked, and the town in question is not on the Italy-Yugoslavia map.

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 11/12/2019 2:29:00 AM >

(in reply to DoubleDeuce)
Post #: 3
RE: Reenactment of "hypothetical historical combat... - 11/12/2019 10:06:03 AM   
altipueri

I've got a biography of John (Shan) Hackett.

Well worth a read I would say. He was at Arnhem and had a dramatic tale to tell.

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 4
RE: Reenactment of "hypothetical historical combat... - 11/12/2019 9:28:58 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: exsonic01

Recently someone commented in my steam screenshot that my screenshot looks like a moment from Red Army by Ralph Peters. I remember I really enjoyed that book, but it was too long ago, so I cannot recall details XP
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1903411146

Anyway, this reminds me of possibility of reenacting several famous combats from cold war books from AB. But problem might be the map I guess.

Regarding Red Storm Rising, there are very good google map info:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=1rh_rN2GMDLWxe8Z2nEfId7t5JkM&ll=51.49780001152675%2C10.098195179687536&z=6
Unfortunately, most of 'important' ground battles in Germany in RSR was around the south of Hanover. Closest AB map is 22sec's Goslar map, but even Goslar map is too east of major combat zone of RSR.
Meanwhile, RSR mentioned battle of Bieben as a key to defend the flank of Hanover front, which I think this might be the wrong information. But anyway, we could make battle of Bieben scenario as a canon battle in RSR.

Too bad I cannot recall all cold war novels I've read so far, I read those like 7~8 yrs ago. But there might be a possibility of user scenario or campaign based on The Third World War, Team Yankee, Red Army, or any other cold war novels, and sell it as "hypothetical reenactment" or "hypothetical historical" battles from hot cold war classics.

Speaking of Red Army, does anyone know how his The War in 2020 compares to it when it comes to realism?
Funny thing is that I have read it somewhere in 2010 or 2009 and I included an aerodyne with railguns in one of my early mods, IIRC XD .
I'm asking because I was looking for Red Army in the internet stores and then saw The War of 2020 in the writer's bibliography and then I realised that I have read his books before in translation.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to exsonic01)
Post #: 5
RE: Reenactment of "hypothetical historical combat... - 9/29/2020 7:30:48 PM   
jason oates

From the British point of view try "chieftains" available on Amazon kindle library.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 6
RE: Reenactment of "hypothetical historical combat... - 12/12/2020 4:12:57 PM   
mmacguinness

The locations in Team Yankee are fictional. I believe the ones in Red Army are too, but maybe not.

This book contains maps and to&e for 12 scenarios from Team Yankee, Red Army and Red Storm Rising:

https://russellphillips.uk/books/bear-marches-west-12-scenarios-1980s-nato-vs-warsaw-pact-wargames/

(in reply to jason oates)
Post #: 7
RE: Reenactment of "hypothetical historical combat... - 2/3/2021 5:19:28 PM   
mmacguinness

For anyone who may be interested, here is a scenario from the book Storming the Gap - First Strike by Brad Smith in a location in an AB map.

The mission is Defense of/Capture the bridge across the Fulda at Eichhofseidlun near Bad Hersfeld.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mmacguinness)
Post #: 8
RE: Reenactment of "hypothetical historical combat... - 2/3/2021 5:21:11 PM   
mmacguinness

OK. One upload per post.
Here is the Scenario

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
RE: Reenactment of "hypothetical historical combat... - 2/3/2021 6:12:01 PM   
22sec

Ahh from WaW.

I'll check this out.

Post #: 10
RE: Reenactment of "hypothetical historical combat... - 2/5/2021 10:12:06 AM   
StuartG

I didnt make the connection that you did that Goslar map 22sec. That was seriously nice work man.

Re scenarios, Battlefront minatures did some pretty good rulebooks that are beautifully produced, and actually useful for people whom dont play tabletop games. Ive bought the team yankee, British, Iron Maiden and the Middle East campaigns books, and they have all been useful. The middle east one was a useful inspiration for the Iran and Iraq orbats I did. They all seem to be based upon the original Hackett book scenario. The one which has the British vs the Soviets Airborne at Arnhem in particular looks an interesting fight...
https://www.team-yankee.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=7154

The tank battles in Red Storm Rising are maddeningly vague, but still entertaining. Team Yankee are good, although its not clear to me if he did in fact base them on real places or just made them up entirely (Coyles book Sword Point, about a Soviet Invasion of Iran, is clearly based upon his at the nevada training area). In fact, about the ONLY tactical battle I can think of that was done authentically in a real place was 'First Clash' by Kenneth Macksey. Sadly it didnt seem to be that common for these authors to stand on a real place and speculate how it would be defended, I guess as some were serving officers,there would be something of a conflict of interest. :D

There is probably one book that would make an interesting campaign. Daniel Bolger wrote a series of interesting books about his army career, not least 'The Battle for Hunger Hill', about training at Fort Polk in the Tigerland complex. But for me his most interesting book was Dragons in the Mojave, which was about a deployment he did on the training range in 1979. Very team yankee like, with M113's, and the M60A1's give an interesting twist. Worth picking up if you can find it. And we do have the map already made after all...

(in reply to 22sec)
Post #: 11
RE: Reenactment of "hypothetical historical combat... - 2/5/2021 1:56:32 PM   
22sec

quote:

ORIGINAL: StuartG

I didnt make the connection that you did that Goslar map 22sec. That was seriously nice work man.

Re scenarios, Battlefront minatures did some pretty good rulebooks that are beautifully produced, and actually useful for people whom dont play tabletop games. Ive bought the team yankee, British, Iron Maiden and the Middle East campaigns books, and they have all been useful. The middle east one was a useful inspiration for the Iran and Iraq orbats I did. They all seem to be based upon the original Hackett book scenario. The one which has the British vs the Soviets Airborne at Arnhem in particular looks an interesting fight...
https://www.team-yankee.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=7154

The tank battles in Red Storm Rising are maddeningly vague, but still entertaining. Team Yankee are good, although its not clear to me if he did in fact base them on real places or just made them up entirely (Coyles book Sword Point, about a Soviet Invasion of Iran, is clearly based upon his at the nevada training area). In fact, about the ONLY tactical battle I can think of that was done authentically in a real place was 'First Clash' by Kenneth Macksey. Sadly it didnt seem to be that common for these authors to stand on a real place and speculate how it would be defended, I guess as some were serving officers,there would be something of a conflict of interest. :D

There is probably one book that would make an interesting campaign. Daniel Bolger wrote a series of interesting books about his army career, not least 'The Battle for Hunger Hill', about training at Fort Polk in the Tigerland complex. But for me his most interesting book was Dragons in the Mojave, which was about a deployment he did on the training range in 1979. Very team yankee like, with M113's, and the M60A1's give an interesting twist. Worth picking up if you can find it. And we do have the map already made after all...

Thank you. Need to finish some other maps one day. Too many irons in the fire, and not enough time. Bolger's work is good. I've got the Dragons book in one of my boxes somewhere.

(in reply to StuartG)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> Reenactment of "hypothetical historical combats" from famous cold war books? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI