Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Death of a "snooper" at Midway

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Death of a "snooper" at Midway Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Death of a "snooper" at Midway - 11/10/2019 2:44:34 AM   
spence

Interesting report of the downing of one of the Japanese scouts near TF16 at Midway. The contemporaneous reports of the real participants are always more interesting.

http://midway42.org/ShowPDF.aspx?Page=/images/FBQactionreport060442.pdf

< Message edited by spence -- 11/10/2019 3:41:27 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Death of a "snooper" at Midway - 11/10/2019 3:03:08 AM   
geofflambert

That link is a fail. Runtime error.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 2
RE: Death of a "snooper" at Midway - 11/10/2019 10:07:35 AM   
GetAssista

This one works http://midway42.org/images/FBQactionreport060442.pdf

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3
RE: Death of a "snooper" at Midway - 11/10/2019 12:01:18 PM   
btd64

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing....GP

Intel i7 3.4GHz,8GB Ram,1920x1080 rez

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 4
RE: Death of a "snooper" at Midway - 11/11/2019 2:09:51 AM   
BBfanboy

Ditto on the thanks.
Nice to see the reporting officer made mention of the machinist gunners as part of his "Wingman" element. In most official communiqués I have read the Officers are mentioned but never the crewmen.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 5
RE: Death of a "snooper" at Midway - 11/11/2019 3:12:20 AM   
spence

quote:

Nice to see the reporting officer made mention of the machinist gunners as part of his "Wingman" element. In most official communiqués I have read the Officers are mentioned but never the crewmen

At the time of Midway there were many enlisted pilots: the two individuals mentioned were in fact wingmen rather than crewmen.

In 1948 it was determined that all further pilots in the USN/USMC/USCG would be officers (all went to the same basic flight training at NAS Pensacola).

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Death of a "snooper" at Midway - 11/11/2019 10:49:43 AM   
fcooke

I had no idea that any of the recce birds were shot down at Midway. And the pilot not only gives kudos to the rest of his flight, he gives kudos to the IJN crew. Class act.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 7
RE: Death of a "snooper" at Midway - 11/11/2019 11:06:03 AM   
Dili

There were no crewmen but wingmen, aircraft is an F4.

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 8
RE: Death of a "snooper" at Midway - 11/11/2019 11:37:56 AM   
Buckrock

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

I had no idea that any of the recce birds were shot down at Midway. And the pilot not only gives kudos to the rest of his flight, he gives kudos to the IJN crew. Class act.

Lundstrom in "First Team" also describes the combat and you can get an idea as to why that Japanese crew were given kudos:-

The Tone No. 3 was not as fortunate. That aircraft was a Nakajima E8N2 Type 95 reconnaissance floatplane [DAVE] of the kind encountered at Wake in February and at Lae– Salamaua on 10 March. An antiquated, open-cockpit biplane sporting one large main float, it nevertheless was highly maneuverable, especially when flown by a good man. The Tone No. 3’ s pilot was one Lieut. (jg) Hasegawa, and he was plenty good. Hasegawa evidently searched the seas around the Yorktown. Dow pinpointed him on the screen around 1615 and alerted VF-6 sections led by Mehle and Quady. He told them to arrow 290 degrees out to 20 miles. Ten minutes later he added “Red 1” (Gray) to the chase. At 1626, Gray happened to sight two aircraft ahead and queried Dow as to whether they might be bandits. The FDO responded by rounding up more fighters, including the entire Blue patrol (now down to eight F4Fs). Evidently he thought a Japanese strike group might be lurking out there.

Mehle alleviated Dow’s fears at 1629, when he sang out: "This is Red 13. Bogey is Jap single seat floatplane. We will get him. He is about 5000 feet over me. I will get him this run."

Perhaps a half dozen Grummans had tackled the lone Nakajima, but Hasegawa was no easy target. Utilizing his aircraft’s short turning radius and other tricks, he evaded VF-6’ s lunges no matter what attack they made. Early in the action, Gray’s guns jammed on his first pass, and he pulled off to clear them. Relentlessly chasing the Japanese were Quady and two NAPs, Mach. Sumrall and Mach. Achten— both veterans of Fighting Two. Together they made four firing passes on the nimble floatplane before Quady worked his way underneath and shot up into the float. Owing to negative G, Quady’s guns malfunctioned, and Hasegawa dived onto his tail. That was the opening Sumrall and Achten needed. They finally got a good shot, and at 1633 they flamed the floatplane. Hasegawa and his gunner were killed.

This was the only sig line I could think of.

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 9
RE: Death of a "snooper" at Midway - 11/12/2019 9:20:25 AM   
fcooke

Now I feel really old.....I own and have read that book......

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Death of a "snooper" at Midway Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI