Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suggestion: deployment zone by tile

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> Suggestion: deployment zone by tile Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suggestion: deployment zone by tile - 11/8/2019 6:03:35 PM   
exsonic01

Some time ago I wrote about various mission types and goals.
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4691918

While I was thinking about this issue, some idea came to my mind. I think this might be discussed before, but just in case I repeat again.

Would it be possible to change the way of setting deployment zone & recon zone as tile-based methods? Just like the same way to designate no-go zones, destruction zones and etc. I remember Close Combat map editor was in this method, enabling players to set up deployment zone by designating which tiles are deployment zone for which faction. Since this is related with core of the game engine, I guess it wouldn't be easy, but I guess it should be worth to invest time and effort.

Allowing this will enables designers to set deployment zone in any place on the map, not the current method based on direction of west/east/north/south. If this is possible, players can design so many various situations with better freedom. For example, player can make scenario of rescue of surrounded ally forces, or hunt down mission of the deeply infiltrated SF team. If designer place VPs in proper locations to guide AI, such scenarios would be enough enjoyable with current AI. Plus, additional features like fixing AI units for scenario design would make this feature much better.

< Message edited by exsonic01 -- 11/8/2019 6:17:11 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Suggestion: deployment zone by tile - 11/8/2019 8:08:18 PM   
DoubleDeuce

This ^ ^ ^ .

(in reply to exsonic01)
Post #: 2
RE: Suggestion: deployment zone by tile - 11/13/2019 3:39:41 PM   
nikolas93TS

There is a reason why deployment areas have current shape, it is primarily to ensure correct and proper AI planning. AI would probably work correctly most of the time even with variable tiles, but anecdotal evidence shows that players can get exceptionally creative in unusual approaches, so we played safe.

The easiest way to eliminate this limit is scripted AI and non-generated scenarios, which might be implemented in one form or another in future.

(in reply to DoubleDeuce)
Post #: 3
RE: Suggestion: deployment zone by tile - 11/13/2019 3:57:49 PM   
exsonic01

quote:

But anecdotal evidence shows that players can get exceptionally creative in unusual approaches, so we played safe.

Hmm I guess players can get feedback and update their scenario or campaign in more balanced way. Isn't it? As you already agree, and I think, that current AI would be able to deal with situation under tile-based deployment zone. If something bothers, then make some additional limitation can be applied to tile-based deploy zone, such as minimum / maximum size, and minimum distance of enemy spawn from deployment tile and etc... With those measures and proper placement of VP, I think tile-based deployment should work.

Well, but I'm just suggesting. Of course this depends on your team's workload and plan.

(in reply to nikolas93TS)
Post #: 4
RE: Suggestion: deployment zone by tile - 11/15/2019 7:22:12 AM   
Veitikka

Being able to pre-place and lock the defending AI side units is something I'm planning to implement in the near future, and also will investigate how doable some sort of invisible 'no-deploy' zones would be at least for the AI side, for a better control over how he behaves when advancing.

We've discussed different objective types, but complex objectives can be very challenging for the dynamic AI to handle, so perhaps there need to be AI scripting features implemented first, but that remains to be seen.

Know thyself!

(in reply to exsonic01)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> Suggestion: deployment zone by tile Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI