Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The classic Close Combat games- still worth playing?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> The classic Close Combat games- still worth playing? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The classic Close Combat games- still worth playing? - 11/8/2019 1:59:47 PM   
persimmon

Lately I've been trying to find a couple of good tactical level computer wargames. I've found some really good strategic and operational level games but I've been wanting to revisit my Squad Leader days with a WW2 computer tactical game.

So, Close Combat. The classics anyway, I understand that the latest, Bloody First is a somewhat different game. I know they're a long running series but I'm a bit sceptical that they're still worth playing.

Good points for me-

- the graphics are somewhat "retro" and do a reasonable job of looking like an old school board wargame.
-The gameplay is quite streamlined and intuitive. The game can be played mostly with hotkeys.
-There is no massive manual to get to grips with.

Bad points for me-

-Tanks have no hull down status. Such a fundamental aspect of tank warfare being omitted is puzzling.
-There is no true random map generator, just an editor.
-I have also read some people say that the AI is pretty passive and that the game really is best played multi player. I'm looking for a single player experience, I have no interest in multi player.

So that's my take on it. I want to like this franchise but so far I have some serious reservations about whether it's suitable for me
Post #: 1
RE: The classic Close Combat games- still worth playing? - 11/8/2019 2:39:34 PM   
wodin

Graviteam tactics.

Combat Mission 2 games.

(in reply to persimmon)
Post #: 2
RE: The classic Close Combat games- still worth playing? - 11/8/2019 3:05:46 PM   
zasgard

I too have been looking at both of these titles wodin has suggested, but after trying the demo for one of the CM2 games I gave up in frustration. I soooo want to learn how to play these games, but I'm not sure I have the patience. Maybe I'll give it another go now that I have a little more experience in wargaming (I tried the demo like 3 years ago).

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: The classic Close Combat games- still worth playing? - 11/8/2019 5:25:54 PM   
asl3d

If you know how to play Advanced Squad Leader, if only a little, then try Heroes of Stalingrad ...

Semper fidelis

(in reply to zasgard)
Post #: 4
RE: The classic Close Combat games- still worth playing? - 11/8/2019 5:50:11 PM   
wodin

CMx2...play it like the usual rts games you're toast.

I find playing turn\wego mode best. Slow and steady. Lots of recon by fire.

quote:

ORIGINAL: zasgard

I too have been looking at both of these titles wodin has suggested, but after trying the demo for one of the CM2 games I gave up in frustration. I soooo want to learn how to play these games, but I'm not sure I have the patience. Maybe I'll give it another go now that I have a little more experience in wargaming (I tried the demo like 3 years ago).

(in reply to zasgard)
Post #: 5
RE: The classic Close Combat games- still worth playing? - 11/8/2019 8:45:53 PM   
MrsWargamer

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm wondering if the Bloody First will be a radical shift for Close Combat.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: The classic Close Combat games- still worth playing? - 11/8/2019 8:55:03 PM   
z1812

quote:

ORIGINAL: persimmon

Lately I've been trying to find a couple of good tactical level computer wargames. I've found some really good strategic and operational level games but I've been wanting to revisit my Squad Leader days with a WW2 computer tactical game.

So, Close Combat. The classics anyway, I understand that the latest, Bloody First is a somewhat different game. I know they're a long running series but I'm a bit sceptical that they're still worth playing.

Good points for me-

-There is no massive manual to get to grips with

Bad points for me-
-I have also read some people say that the AI is pretty passive and that the game really is best played multi player. I'm looking for a single player experience, I have no interest in multi player.

Just a general reply to these 2 points.

If you want a good gaming experience you will have to apply yourself to the manual to some extent. How much will depend upon your knowledge of strategy, tactics, and common game mechanics.

If you are looking for a decent A.I. in regards to Single player then your choices are limited. The bright side of that is that those available are excellent. The Combat Mission series is a very good. The investment in understanding the game is well worth the time taken. To many it is considered the finest tactical WW2 game ever made.

If it is a Squad leader like choice you want then you also should look at Tigers on the Hunt. It certainly has that SL, ASL feel. A good solid game. You may also want to look at Heroes of Stalingrad. It is fun but not as "accurate" an experience.

I have nearly all the Close Combat games, but for the new one. The A.I. is very poor in the older games. You can always find them on sale here and there if you want to try them.

Your best SP experience will be with Combat Mission. Start with very small infantry engagements and then move to larger scenarios slowly. If you invest the time I doubt you will be disappointed.

Good Luck with your search.

(in reply to persimmon)
Post #: 7
RE: The classic Close Combat games- still worth playing? - 11/8/2019 11:49:30 PM   
demyansk

Cmbb was my favorite and I bought off GOG for real cheap, plus a load of extra scenarios, in the high hundreds. Agree with Wodin.

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 8
RE: The classic Close Combat games- still worth playing? - 11/9/2019 11:40:31 AM   
wodin

I doubt very much it's right for you.

Tell you what though, Second Front is looking better and better.

To the OP. Check out Second Front. It looks like it has it all!

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm wondering if the Bloody First will be a radical shift for Close Combat.

< Message edited by wodin -- 11/9/2019 11:42:45 AM >

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 9
RE: The classic Close Combat games- still worth playing? - 11/11/2019 7:49:08 AM   
persimmon

I have Combat Mission Barbarossa as well as Heroes of Stalingrad, I was asking about whether Close Combat is worth playing, but as nobody will give me a straight answer I'll probably pick up some and try for myself.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 10
RE: The classic Close Combat games- still worth playing? - 11/11/2019 1:03:55 PM   
MrsWargamer

Close Combat The Bloody First is likely your best bet to try persimmon.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to persimmon)
Post #: 11
RE: The classic Close Combat games- still worth playing? - 11/11/2019 3:36:11 PM   
wodin

We have answered by telling you there is better out there.
quote:

ORIGINAL: persimmon

I have Combat Mission Barbarossa as well as Heroes of Stalingrad, I was asking about whether Close Combat is worth playing, but as nobody will give me a straight answer I'll probably pick up some and try for myself.

(in reply to persimmon)
Post #: 12
RE: The classic Close Combat games- still worth playing? - 11/11/2019 4:35:13 PM   
Tejszd

The older Close Combat games are worth getting on sale.

They do have some flaws but most games do. The weird thing is many of the issues come from questionable decisions as will be noted below.

But on the positive side the tactical play rewards sound decisions/play. In all but COI and the new Bloody First you also have a simple strat layer that adds supply and support concerns/decisions.

From a features perspective LSA is the one to get;
- as the 2nd Battle Group adds units to a battle and can come from a 2nd direction/entry location. This was removed in later BG’s as some found it confusing???
- as there are fixed troops to defend key maps. At least until another BG comes along and absorbs them. Not sure why it isn’t the players choice???
- a very recent patch added an option to expand UI graphics to make them easier to read/see. Not sure why they selected only 1.5x as it makes things blurry and has only been done for LSA???
- bridges can be blown affecting strat movement and if I’m remembering correctly when attacking across a river on some maps vehicles are not allowed
- has all the features of previous games

While TLD is the best value as it has the most mods.
- has paratroop BG’s which appear behind the beaches which can operate without a supply for a few turns without impact
- has troops speaking their own languages; English, German and Russian for German OST troops
- night battles. Darkens the map and reduces line of sight (LOS). You can decide to use a flare over an area for short period to improve LOS.

Or just pick the battle that most interests you.

< Message edited by Tejszd -- 11/14/2019 1:28:08 AM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 13
RE: The classic Close Combat games- still worth playing? - 11/13/2019 2:25:25 AM   
Infierno

You can get the classic CC games on GOG for like $6 each. I would go with that if you want to try them out. I was always partial towards Cross of Iron and Invasion of Normandy.

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> The classic Close Combat games- still worth playing? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI